Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend seems to think that DP is what he calls spiritual awakening. He believes that we are understanding for the first time that we are not our bodies, but our souls and that the soul is always observing, but we get so caught up in daily life that we don't seem to feel like we are observers in the world and don't feel that disconnection of soul and body. I feel that this is just all science and the brain doing its thing. What're your thoughts?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Spiritual awakening is the complete opposite of depersonalization and derealization. Enlightenment is unity with reality, while dissociation is the feeling of separation. So no, even if it may feel like some sort of awakening it's dissociation not connection we are experiencing ;-)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Spiritual awakening is the complete opposite of depersonalization and derealization. Enlightenment is unity with reality, while dissociation is the feeling of separation. So no, even if it may feel like some sort of awakening it's dissociation not connection we are experiencing ;-)
Thank you! I mean I believe in having a soul but I also believe in science and I feel like this is just the brain protecting itself. I never had this problem until my panic attacks got bad, which is why I believe it's my brain and nothing spiritual.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Agreed that it is not spiritual. DP has made me think more about things like consciousness and existence but in the worst way possible. There has been nothing enlightening about this experience, it has only filled me with sheer panic and depression.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Agreed that it is not spiritual. DP has made me think more about things like consciousness and existence but in the worst way possible. There has been nothing enlightening about this experience, it has only filled me with sheer panic and depression.
Yes, I hate it. It's like I'm overly aware of my existence but at the same time, my arms and hands don't feel like mine. It's miserable ????

1 - 5 of 5 Posts