Depersonalization Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
I frequently find that, no matter how severe my dp symptoms are, it always feels like a huge chunk of reality is missing for me. It’s very hard to describe. I can see, hear, taste, touch etc, however it’s like I’m “missing” a sense. It’s as if my brain is filtering out half of reality or something. Do you experience this?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Yep, nearly all of us i'd say. It get's better. I find the thing you are talking about is 'emotions'.... you can have every sense in the world but the connection is the emotional feeling of something, the old pen thing...

Pick up a pen... does it feel like an object? or does it feel like something you feel has a purpose... that's the thing for me that made me realise. Can name other examples, like petting a cat, I can feel it, touch it, but it's just a fur ball. Till the emotions come, sometimes you just got to use your head. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yes everything is just permanently off. I try to ignore it as best I can and I've gotten pretty good at accepting this shitty version of life but a couple times a day something will make me realize how terribly wrong things are - like a certain song or just something from the past - aaaand then I go spiralling into suicidal thoughts.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yep, nearly all of us i'd say. It get's better. I find the thing you are talking about is 'emotions'.... you can have every sense in the world but the connection is the emotional feeling of something, the old pen thing...

Pick up a pen... does it feel like an object? or does it feel like something you feel has a purpose... that's the thing for me that made me realise. Can name other examples, like petting a cat, I can feel it, touch it, but it's just a fur ball. Till the emotions come, sometimes you just got to use your head. Just my two cents.
I think you've got it, really. When that connection (to ourselves and life; what you're calling 'emotions') comes back, normalcy returns. That connection, that sense of normalcy, is difficult to put into words, but you know it intuitively when you get it back.

By extension, all of the philosophical quandaries lose their threatening status, and become either background noise or interesting things to consider.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I frequently find that, no matter how severe my dp symptoms are, it always feels like a huge chunk of reality is missing for me. It's very hard to describe. I can see, hear, taste, touch etc, however it's like I'm "missing" a sense. It's as if my brain is filtering out half of reality or something. Do you experience this?
I know what you mean. It feels like if I'm totally disconnected from reality and life. It sucks. I don't even get the existence thoughts anymore but I'm still so deep in this hell with all the other damn symptoms. It sucks ass

1 - 5 of 5 Posts