Depersonalization Support Forum banner

Some good advice for all...

737 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  ShyTiger 
#1 ·
Since I have let go of worrying about and fixing dp/dr, I have found the whole 'mess' to be quite easily resolved- though simple in words and challenging to put into use-simple nontheless. Here goes- The sensations 'hit' like a flash-people like me notice it intensely and fear of it sets in. This starts the treadmill. We all know this. But what I worried most about was what it felt like and how it stuck-which kept it going for me. What has helped me recover most was realizing that the sensations distort your perceptions of yourself and things around you, but are not meant to linger longer than a flash-like deja-vu. Once you focus on them your life and surroundings become clouded by it. It is simple logic that the distant and detached feelings this body response brings will do that if you let it. So I simply don't let it anymore. I am fully aware of this HABIT of it and it has faded more and more each day. I don't get scared by what my emotional connections to me and my surroundings 'feels' like because they have been distorted with distance and detached perceptions from focusing on the 'flash'. This is NOT REAL, just a HABIT. How could you focus on something so strange and not expect to have it affect you! I know you have said this over and over on this forum, but there is something about hearing it from fellow 'sufferers' that hits home. I hope it helps others! Thanks.

I figured this would help. It it the new approach I'm beginning to take. :wink:

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanx for your post. I agree with you. I know what you are saying. I am having trouble thou with putting it into practice. I do it for a week and things start improving and then i seem to have a relapse with avengence! Takes me couple days to recover and then im back on the cycle again. Do you experience this at all?? I think my dp is occuring as a seconary symptom now because of unresolved issues around trauma. So will it be then that i have to be concentrating on this rather than dp or both? I feel like a jigsaw puzzle at the moment-trying to figure out where all the pieces go and where some of them have dissapeared to. But thankyou for you post as the more it is stated that this is working for people the more credit is given to it.

#3 ·
Remember that this takes at least 3 weeks to go away using this technique. I still feel DP/DR, so I'm not free from this yet. But from the people that have been "cured", they say that the feelings WILL come back but by giving in, the cycle remains. (Or worsens)

By not getting down about these feelings coming back, you eliminate it.

It's easy to say of course, and I'm not DP free, but this has worked for others so stay patient. It might take a while for your symptoms to go back to the deep dark place they came from, but there is proof that this WILL go away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.