Depersonalization Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a year and a half ago when i first got dp/dr'ed, i noticed sleeping and dreaming were alot harder and increasingly vivid. Plus lots of feelings that are hard to explain before actual sleep. I also experianced thing like sleep paralysis. Anyway, i am basically not dp/dr'ed anymore but i still have lingering symptoms like vivid dreams. I remember every single one too in great detail. Ill forget them after a few hours of being awake though (thank god). Recently, ive been dealing with my depression. What ive been having recently in response is nightmares. Some are pretty obvious like murders, being chased, grusome scenes, etc...then theres other ones that arnt visually or narratively frightning but make me feel severely uncomfortable or scared without any real threat. One thing that has definently stayed since recovery is milder hyperawareness of my surroundings which translates into dreams as well. I have been having these nightmares ever since i started thinking things were pointless but they got even worse recently when i tried fighting that and finding meaning in life. I used to enjoy sleeping because of the escape but now its very uncomfortable.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Before my depression came back some months ago i rarely had a dream, i started to have vivid dreams when i noticed my depression coming back, i was thinking a loy about the meaning of life like you and honestly didnt find any answer, i dont think it have one, BUT i always have dome interest in phylosophy and ended up discovering the stoicist school, you should look into it, it changed my view of life, and about the dreams, i think they became more vivid and intense with depression, tell me do you feel lonely?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Before my depression came back some months ago i rarely had a dream, i started to have vivid dreams when i noticed my depression coming back, i was thinking a loy about the meaning of life like you and honestly didnt find any answer, i dont think it have one, BUT i always have dome interest in phylosophy and ended up discovering the stoicist school, you should look into it, it changed my view of life, and about the dreams, i think they became more vivid and intense with depression, tell me do you feel lonely?
I may look into the stoicist school, thanks. Now that you mention it, i think ive always had a loneliness problem my whole life. Tho some periods are better than others. But recently its worse but i figured its because of the depression.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I've had some extreme sleep aberrations since having a sequence of temporal lobe seizures at age 17. My first depressive episode featured 2 weeks of severe insomnia followed by an instance of "exploding head syndrome", and 2 nights of technicolor night terrors.

In one, my parish priest was shot in the parking lot across from my church. He fell, and blood ran from his penis. Any interpretations for that? The next night, the sleep show featured a nuclear holocaust as I sheltered in my home's basement.

The episodes of depression repeated at intervals of approximately 8 years, over the next 40 years. 30 lb weight loss, heavy anxiety, and severe insomnia. 52 days was my longest stretch without sleep. Medical experts will tell you that's impossible.

I doubt any of them have ever attempted it. I did have a 2 to 2.5 hour loss of consciousness every 48 to 64 hours, but it couldn't be called sleep. Shortly before resuming consciousness, I would get this scary feeling that I was about to be thrown out of

my sleep on my ear. And, I was. The most amazing thing about having survived 5 episodes of major depression, is that there seems to be no permanent damage, save the loss of 40 years of life. I feel pretty good today, after having ECT 5 years ago.

·
Registered
445 Posts
My dreams mostly can't be categorised as nightmares but there's always a disturbing tone to them which wierds me out for the first few hours of the day. When i wake up my mind is also bombarded with existential concepts and thoughts. The whole process of sleep is uncomfortable nowadays, thanks to DP. Ive suffered about as long as you. At the end of the day i still get my head down even when i dont want to because its pretty essential to recovery. We're adults. We can take a little discomfort for the greater good

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I do have recurrent dreams that are vaguely discomforting. I'm back in high school, and I can't find my locker. I roam the halls and I can't remember how to get from one class to the next. This makes me perpetually late for class.

Funny, because I can still remember my high school lock combination. 21, 1, 7.

I once read a supposed professional interpretation of common dreams. I forget the reason for my roaming my high school halls, but it was one of the 10 top recurring dreams.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts