Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This year I started getting sleep paralysis quite regularly--I had experienced it maybe two or three times before but it started happening super frequently around September. It's been coming in waves, but there are times when I'll get it almost every night and often multiple times in a night (always when falling asleep, never when waking up in the morning).

It feels like shit, I have the feeling of someone holding me down and sometimes auditory hallucinations while I'm trapped in this state. I've gotten better at recognizing that I'm in the paralysis when it's happening (it's still terrifying even though I know it's not real and that it's going to end, but I suppose knowing that is better than not...)

After waking up is the really weird part. I'm freaked out and obviously anxious, but it makes my derealization really really bad--almost to the point of delusion. I feel like I don't recognize my room and I can't conceptualize what's around it, it's like being on an island suspended in the air. I'm always exhausted but have to make myself stay awake feeling like this because if I fall asleep too quickly after the sleep paralysis will just happen again.

Just wondering if anyone else experiences this and how it affects your DP, or if you've found a good way to combat sleep paralysis or maybe just nightmares. I know lots of other people who experience sleep paralysis but none who have DP.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I experienced this intensively in my late teens during recovery from a car accident. I discovered that it is the precursor to having an out of body experience. At a certain point I became so tired of resisting the vibrations that occurred with the paralysis that I prepared to ride it out, even to the point of dying if need be. When I'd opened myself to what I thought would be heart attack or insanity, I felt a pair of hands grasp my ankles and pull me upright, off the bed, into a horizontal position floating above my bed. I then blasted through the darkness at enormous speed and ended up standing in dew covered grass near our cabin in the mountains. I freely explored with a certain joy, like a Christmas morning joy, before I was drawn back and into my bed. I lay awake and couldn't believe what had just happened. Over the years I acclimated to the vibrations and saw them as a gift, or key, to opening to the wider mysteries. This isn't for everyone. Many want to remain safe within their sphere of comfortable understanding. I embraced it, though over the years the experience has diminished as to be almost non existent.

Don't worry. This will pass, unless you want to make the effort to see it as I did. You may experience evil sounding voices and the feeling of someone sitting on you, but nothing can happen.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have experienced sleep paralysis on and off my whole life. The phenomenon occured to me frequently as a child, but as I grew older I started to experience it less and less. After acquiring DP, I have started to experience it again more frequently and now with hallucinations. While DP'd I remember having a hallucination I was in an old rocking pirate ship, and the pictures on the walls of my room (the ship) had swapped places, become replaced with pictures I had never seen before, or completely vanished. The walls of my room (the ship) were now old and cracked with the paint chipping in large sections. While the ship was swaying intensely extremely scary horror musc started playing, the lights started flashing, and thunder began roaring, I felt my body slowly descending into what I one hundred percent believed was hell, and as I sank I had the sensation of my body slowly freezing, as my body went from being mildly paralyzed to completely immobile. I don't even think I could blink. Then suddenly when the horror music reached a climax, and my body began sinking through the ground of the violently swaying ship, I woke up. Immediately after the experience I was almost certain that God was telling me I'm going to hell when I die and I had better change my ways.

·
Registered
171 Posts
It's worth researching hypnagogia. It is possible to gain some control over this using specific meditation or self-hypnosis techniques, although anyone with schhizotypal personality disorder would most likely find these techniques detrimental to their well-being.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Sleep paralysis is pretty common with people who have a very "amped" up nervous system/high anxiety. I've had it many times, more when my DP was at it's worst. I don't get it as much anymore now that my body has calmed down some. I think a regular sleep schedule helps with this as well.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I get this, and used to get it regularly as a child. Luckily don't get it with hallucinations. It's damn scary no matter how many times you've had it. Like a very small sample of locked in syndrome must be like :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts