Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just woke up from another " episode" of what i guess you can call Sleep Paralysis. Its so weird, I was having a dream and all of a sudden its like i could feel my body & could kind of move it, but couldn't wake up & had this feeling of terror & anxiety. During this time i was still dreaming but the dream turned real strange and it was kind of like i was changing it or something. I finally woke up but i could barely keep my eyes open so i waited a minute and decided to go back to sleep because i figured it wouldn't happen again, well it happened right away, the same exact thing occured & it was scaring the shit out of me. Finally i was able to wake up & now im awake but feel very spaced out and tired. Id say that it happens to me maybe once every week or maybe two weeks. I hate it, its one of the most terrifying feelings ever & when you wake up you feel like shit. Before i came here i read a few articles on it & it says thatit is harmless & often associated with panic disorder.

Has anyone here experienced it? And can anyone give me some advice on how to pervent it? Id like to not have to go throught it at all. I remember before the DP/DR, anxiety, etc I would get it maybe like every oncein a while, like once every 6 months or something, But over this past summer its become more frequent.

Any insight will be greatly appreciated

Peace

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had those, very disturbing indeed. Actually only with help of paxil I can have a normal sleep. Before my paxil use I had those and many other kinds of wierd sensations/feelings when asleep.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I have had similar sleep disturbances in the past and have read it is to do with anxiety. I guess that dp being an issue of different levels of consciousness, inbetween sleep and waking would be a prime time to get freaked out! Its almost like 'For godsake how come I can even scare myself when asleep?!'

I had night terrors as a child and although they say this phenomena has no psychological implications, and maybe its different at a young age but there just seems to be some link. I have also had similar 'not sure Im awake/asleep feeling' upon waking, at times in my life when I have had no anxiety or dp whatsoever. I was obviously able to disregard them as I wasn't in the vicious circle of anxiety. Are you taking any SSRI's? A side effect is sleep disturbance is it not? It certainly was for me on Celexa and my friend on Seroxat (not sure if its same name in U.S?).

·
Registered
645 Posts
S. Brotha,

Yo...I've had this before, though it hasn't happened for a long time. I would just have it on occasion. But you are right it is very terrifying. I actually got a sleep study done last summer. Obviously it didn't happen when I was getting the test conducted, but still nothing came out of the tests. Everything was normal.
Anyways, I'm not sure exactly what causes it, but I think that your body gets into such a deep sleep and into its own dreams, that it kinna freezes up. At least thats what it feels like.
Sorry I don't have an answer or more knowledgeable insight. All I can say is that yes, I have experienced this before.

When do you think you are gonna send those CDs out? Holla,

Kelson

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I deleted the duplicate post for you g-funk.

Yes, I have weird things happen to me when trying to wake up sometimes. Also when first going to sleep. Laying there, sort of between sleep and awake, dreaming but not really, trying to wake myself up but seemingly unable to do anything - including moving any part of my body or even being able to breathe. I have had two full blown sleep studies and nothing unusual has shown up. The doc says it's anxiety related.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies

i think either it has to do with anxiety or the respirdal, which im gonna start weining off of.

Kelson, im gonna send them out this week, im waitin for my boy to give me the Jim Jones back so i can burn it.

maybe i'll catch you on IM tonight.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I experienced that right before my last DP episode. You described it perfectly. A week later, when my attack subsided, I concluded that this was the "sleep" version of DP. Why it manifests itself this way, I don't know. Maybe your body is trying to somehow protect you by keeping you in one place and unconscious. Don't know, but I'm really sorry that you go through it so often. I almost feel guilty because I don't. Or maybe just really REALLY grateful. I'll keep you in my thoughts.

Susan

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Ahem. Pay attention class.

I regard myself as an expert on Sleep Paralysis. Nothing else, except perhaps how to piss women off, but Sleep Paralysis - yes. And SB, I've had several discussions about this with you before, so you obviously weren't paying attention - do a sharp wrap across the knuckles for you my lad and a $400 fine. Don't say I'm not fair.

Anyway. Sleep Paralysis, or as it's called in, cough, medical circles, ADSP (Awareness During Sleep Paralysis) is simply a hiccup in the natural sleep process. I don't know of the physiological process, but its exactly that. A hiccup. Nothing dangerous, not a sign of impending madness or whatever. Almost everyone experiences it at some point or another in their life, whether they recognise it for what it is or not. Some people (I mention no nationalities.....cough..americ...cough) think they are being abducted by aliens..in less recent history it was the fault of demons, or the incubus. But it's not. Sleep Paralysis (and the associated Hypnogotic Hallucinations) are a small balls-up in the natural sleep process. Basically, your body is asleep (paralysed), your brain is clicking into dream (REM) sleep, but you are lucid and conscious.....and generally thinking......WTF is happening !!!! You are awake, yet dreaming. The most common 'symptoms of SP are (in order)...you just fall to sleep then..you jerk awake and....

Body Paralysis
A 'feeling' of dread, or fear, or horror or panic..
A 'whoosing' sound
A 'feeling' of a person or some'thing' in the room
Smothering sensation
Auditory Hallucinations..usually breathing, footsteps, unintelligable noises

Less common are:
Visual Hallucinations - usually distortion of shadows into menacing shapes.
Out of Body Experiences

I know it's very scarey...I've had it since I was a kid....but believe me, it's not going to hurt you. I've even learnt to kind of enjoy it nowadays...like you would enjoy a scarey movie or a ride of a rollercoaster.

The MAJOR factor in causing sleep paralysis is a interupted sleep pattern...like taking extended naps during the day....that kind of thing. I can induce SP with almost 100% predictability by having a snooze in the afternoon.

Anyway, there you go. I thought I'd reply to this post because I had a huge SP episode last night (after having a 3 hour nap in the afternoon.) The full works....I won't bore you with the details. But the funniest bit was this. I managed (as I rarely can do) to do the 'Out Of Body' thing and float around the room and then........I hit my 'Astral' head (or whatever you think it is) bloody hard on the bedroom door !! Jesus it hurt. It was EXACTLY like hitting your head in real life. It woke me up and I was having so much fun ! Well, I thought it was funny...I thought Astral bodies are meant to float through stuff ? I know I'm an athiest, but, jesus, give me a break.......am I to have no pleasure in life ?

Sigh.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have had sleep paralysis quite many times too - usually I feel sliding very fast on my bed or even around the whole floor of the bedroom, like some force would put me on the move. I'd be most fascinated to know why do I feel like that, as I think there cannot be absolutely no rational psychological explanation for that kind of sliding. At least I think so, but still my brains are sending me that kind of experiences during my sleep paralysis. Sometimes I have felt "our of body" experiences too, but usually I wake up because of them. Sleep paralysis is a kind of weird experience, at least those movement things. I happen to believe in the psychological explanations for symbolic lucid dreams, but for sleep paralysis? Nope, it feels definitely some kind of a hiccup like Mr Martin said. :shock:

·
Registered
645 Posts
SB,

Just wanted to mention, coincidence or not since we just talked about this, but I had an episode of sleep parlysis this past weekend. Man, it was so weird. I musta forgot how crazy it can be. It's weird and seems to happen out of the blue. But man, I felt like my mind was awake, but it couldn't tell my body to wake up or move. It was weird, like I wanted to "shake out of it" and unfreeze my body, but it was like I couldn't, hence the paralysis. Crazy.

Kelson

·
Registered
645 Posts
SB,

Just wanted to mention, coincidence or not since we just talked about this, but I had an episode of sleep parlysis this past weekend. Man, it was so weird. I musta forgot how crazy it can be. It's weird and seems to happen out of the blue. But man, I felt like my mind was awake, but it couldn't tell my body to wake up or move. It was weird, like I wanted to "shake out of it" and unfreeze my body, but it was like I couldn't, hence the paralysis. Crazy.

Kelson

1 - 12 of 12 Posts