Depersonalization Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just need to rant for a bit.

I've had dpdr for around three years, maybe more, and I've been on and off with mental health professionals. Does anyone else get sick and tired of having to educate them on what depersonalization is? I have seen multiple therapists, psychiatrists, and counselors, and none of them even really know what I'm trying to explain to them. Once I finally get them to somewhat understand what I'm talking about, they typically just say it's a symptom of anxiety. Isn't that annoying? Has anyone come across a mental health worker who actually gets it and knows about dissociative disorders?

I made an appointment with a new therapist for Monday, after talking to her on the phone and having her recognize the word "depersonalization." She seemed to actually know what it is, without me explaining it to her! Wish me luck, maybe this time I'll actually be able to get to the therapy part of it without having to explain my disorder to her over and over again.

Feel free to use this thread for similar ranting of your own.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I think a big problem is that people in the medical field worship neuroscience, and are thus, materialists. Even therapists, who are supposed to be “mental health experts”, take a meterialistic approach more often than not. They focus on the brain and give you chemicals. They don’t focus on consciousness much. DP acts like an alternate state of consciousness.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Watch this:

It's bewildering to me too... most doctors here in the states recognize the term "derealization" but like with your experience, they lump it in with anxiety. CLEARLY an awakening needs to take place. It's a distinctive condition. Thousands of us around the world with the exact same story, isn't a coincidence.

·
Administrator
5,296 Posts
I think a big problem is that people in the medical field worship neuroscience, and are thus, materialists. Even therapists, who are supposed to be "mental health experts", take a meterialistic approach more often than not. They focus on the brain and give you chemicals. They don't focus on consciousness much. DP acts like an alternate state of consciousness.
I think what you point out is worthy to note. I've probably tried over 30 different psych meds throughout the years. None have had an effect on my DP/DR at all. Why is that? If you think about it, how could a psych med or chemical effect dissociation. If you're dissociated there's a chasm in ones consciousness and I don't think psych meds or anything physical are able to touch that.

Note: Not saying that psych meds are not beneficial to people. Only saying that in my case they haven't personally helped me.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
My first therapist was at a community mental health clinic. I saw her for about 6 months. She cared about me, but she had no real clue as to my mental illness. I was indigent at the time, and paid nothing for her services. If I had been required to hire her at $75, I probably would have just committed suicide. I grew up very poor, and that was a lot of money at the time. Well, it still is. Especially when you

know you are just buying a person's compassion for that amount. 45 years later, I still remember her name. I checked the yellow pages, and she has now been in private practice for 33 years. I started to write her a letter to let her know that I was still alive, and to tell her that I was suffering from epilepsy when she saw me for those 6 months.

I would have explained how my first seizures segued into an affective disorder of major depression, and how I lived with 4 severe episodes of depression in my lifetime, while suffering frequent temporal lobe seizures and ocular migraines, which fostered depersonalization anxiety and insomnia.

I might have mentioned how much suffering she could have prevented if she had referred me to a neurologist who could have given me an EEG which would have shown the underlying illness from which I was suffering.

But, I said the hell with it. It wasn't worth my time.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I just need to rant for a bit.

I've had dpdr for around three years, maybe more, and I've been on and off with mental health professionals. Does anyone else get sick and tired of having to educate them on what depersonalization is? I have seen multiple therapists, psychiatrists, and counselors, and none of them even really know what I'm trying to explain to them. Once I finally get them to somewhat understand what I'm talking about, they typically just say it's a symptom of anxiety. Isn't that annoying? Has anyone come across a mental health worker who actually gets it and knows about dissociative disorders?

I made an appointment with a new therapist for Monday, after talking to her on the phone and having her recognize the word "depersonalization." She seemed to actually know what it is, without me explaining it to her! Wish me luck, maybe this time I'll actually be able to get to the therapy part of it without having to explain my disorder to her over and over again.

Feel free to use this thread for similar ranting of your own.
Im sorry to hear that. I have had the luck of running into medical professionals who actually did know what it was and for the ones that didn't they at least tried to understand as quickly as possible. I know it's frustrating, sometimes people just cab't understand unless they go through it as well (not hoping for that) but rest assured frustrating yourself will also make your DP worse.

I also choose keywords and analogies carefully so as to provide the best explanation for DP. Most of them get it right away and I think it's partly due to my awesome explanation skills. lolz!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts