Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If my diet is super healthy?

Mine is drug induced so I'm wondering whether it's pointless to worry about taking magnesium this and b complex blah blah .. to be honest the more I think about supplements/various drugs I could be taking the more anxious I feel. Like it seems there are thousands of different things that could possibly be causing my symptoms, and I'm worried I'll never figure it out??

Should I just try not to think about that?

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Supplements are used to give you the essential nutrients that you may be missing.

If you are eating nutritiously and getting the appropriate amount for the day, there shouldn't be much of a reason that you would need supplements.

However, you could always get blood work done to see if that's the case. When I had my work done, I was low on Vitamin D and I thought I had been eating fine for awhile.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I would get a vitamin deficiency test done, just to be on the safe side. They're very low threshold and you can request one through your regular GP quickly and easily.

I had the same result as SolomonOrlando when I had mine done - everything fine except for vitamin D being a little low. Taking supplements for it didn't help my DP any though.

Right now I'm working on improving my hydration and I am seeing some positive effects. Water with lemon, and water with pink Himalayan salt has been giving me much more energy this past week. I'm not sure if it's just a fluke, but it seems unlikely as there appears to be a direct correlation. I am also trying some light working out combined with intermittent fasting, which is giving me some added focus and vitality. So this combination of things does seem to be helping from a lifestyle perspective.

Regarding supplements specifically though, I wouldn't bother unless you're low on any of the more critical vitamins (the B's especially). Generally speaking, the biovailability of supplements is pretty paltry and you probably won't notice much of a difference.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
The jury is out on supplements....Some say they work wonders, others say they are snake oil....

Maybe im too narrow minded as regards these types of things but as is said above if you are eating properly you dont actually need them...

In my own personal experience I have tried vitamin D for my S A D as an alternative to the natural source we receive from sunlight (Ireland can be a dark grey damp place at times, especially in winter) It didnt do squat...

I also tried vitamin B for reducing anxiety levels...Again nothing, I might as well have been swallowing m and ms and given myself a sugar rush instead LOL....

But each to his own....and if you even get a placebo effect from supplements keep taking them is what I say....Anything that eases this nightmare of a condition is worth continuing with....

·
Registered
818 Posts
I've been back and forth, back and forth on this subject over the years. I can only speak from my personal experience. It can become an obsession to get involved in this. I have found that vitamins/minerals (with the exception of magnesium taurate) have done squat for me. The mg Taurate was short lived. Been taking Alpha GPC (choline) recently which MAY be giving some slight improvement.

The other side of supplements is natural extracts. I was very sceptical of this side of things for years and didn't venture into it. Why I don't know. If anything it makes more sense. Cavemen have been taking medicinal plants/mushrooms for thousands of years. They have unique chemicals as well as a balance of vitamins/minerals. Theanine (amino acid in tea) gave me temporary relief, but faded as was only on 200mg a day.. so I bought the powder and will see how a bigger dose lasts. Recently, Lion's mane has helped with increases nerve growth factor and also has a kappa agonist in it. Also, bacopa is giving some relief.. they are small not significant effects, but every little helps and over time they could make bigger changes. Also, CBD oil has helped me physically relax but with time has worn off. I am only on 50mg a day, and clinical effective doses have been 500mg. Again, it gave relief at the start, so I am hoping over a prolonged period it will help. One positive from CBD is it has cleaned up my skin

ALSO, hempseed oil. It has a great balance of omega 3, 6 and 9. It also has stearidonic acid which is a step up in the omega 3 pathway from ALA and ALSO has gamma linolenic acid which is a step up in the omega 6 pathway so basically it is THE best essential fatty acid source IMO.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. I have had bloodwork done and I know I'm slightly low on iron but I'll see my GP about other possible vitamin deficiencies.

I'm currently taking iron, B12, and vitamin D.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been back and forth, back and forth on this subject over the years. I can only speak from my personal experience. It can become an obsession to get involved in this. I have found that vitamins/minerals (with the exception of magnesium taurate) have done squat for me. The mg Taurate was short lived. Been taking Alpha GPC (choline) recently which MAY be giving some slight improvement.

The other side of supplements is natural extracts. I was very sceptical of this side of things for years and didn't venture into it. Why I don't know. If anything it makes more sense. Cavemen have been taking medicinal plants/mushrooms for thousands of years. They have unique chemicals as well as a balance of vitamins/minerals. Theanine (amino acid in tea) gave me temporary relief, but faded as was only on 200mg a day.. so I bought the powder and will see how a bigger dose lasts. Recently, Lion's mane has helped with increases nerve growth factor and also has a kappa agonist in it. Also, bacopa is giving some relief.. they are small not significant effects, but every little helps and over time they could make bigger changes. Also, CBD oil has helped me physically relax but with time has worn off. I am only on 50mg a day, and clinical effective doses have been 500mg. Again, it gave relief at the start, so I am hoping over a prolonged period it will help. One positive from CBD is it has cleaned up my skin

ALSO, hempseed oil. It has a great balance of omega 3, 6 and 9. It also has stearidonic acid which is a step up in the omega 3 pathway from ALA and ALSO has gamma linolenic acid which is a step up in the omega 6 pathway so basically it is THE best essential fatty acid source IMO.
Thanks for the info.

What dose Alpha GPC do you take? I was reading about it because I don't eat red meat/eggs so my choline intake is probably under the RDA... I'm just a bit afraid to start messing around with this stuff.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I rarely read any horror stories regarding supplements. I mean, I am sure they're out there but it is highly highly unlikely. There is far more risk with medications, but even then the risk isn't huge.

I take 500mg alpha gpc a day currently.. also eat at least 2 eggs though. I think the lion's mane (LM) is also helping acetylcholine. Also, consider the fact that LM mushroom is a FOOD and eaten regularly by some. LM is getting a lot of traction lately, and with good reason. It actually works for many and is part of a new coffee fad.. will have to see if that continues, but I am certainly hooked for life. Looking forward to seeing where I am at after 6 months on it, as opposed to 6 days

·
Registered
818 Posts
Yeh they aren't good, but no permanent damage I assume? That's what I meant by horror stories. Zinc and b12 give me insomnia as well. And magnesium generally gives me the shits. Green tea on an empty stomach makes me VERY nauseas as well. Started theanine powder today though as got 200g for £10 and that's helping me relax and gives some relief..

·
Registered
375 Posts
If you eat a healthy, balanced diet with lots of vegetables then you don't need supplements. That said, they can provide at least minimal relief, especially if you suffer from anxiety and depression. Also, as Broken has pointed out, many supplements can provide your brain with nerve growth factors to help make stronger connections that may in the long run benefit DP, but this takes years of supplementation to see substantial progress. I think as long as you're eating healthy, working out, getting some sun, staying socially and spiritually active you have nothing to worry about.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts