Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
It is no less than a sickly torture to naively reckon that your condition has improved significantly in a certain time during the summer months, only to discover, as soon as the cold season begins, that several months of miserable deterioration await you. It is impossible to divide your existence between six sunny months and six cloudy-to-dark months. As soon as the first cloudy day in many months arrives, I experience a considerably harsher mental fog accompanied by the proportional anxiety. I have yet to encounter such symptom in DP accounts so far, to the best of my memory, but this is surely the experience of some individuals as well. In case any member possesses any knowledge of the underlying mechanism and coping strategies beyond a home-use SAD lamp, please share.

As a side note, a 100-mg theanine supplement seemed to improve my condition greatly during the summer months by eliminating the DR aspect almost completely and reducing the DP aspect. This occurred simultaneously with a marked deterioration in mood, although others may respond otherwise to the supplement. I am unsure as to the benefits at the moment, with the change of seasons.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I experience the exact same thing..DP, SAD, Anxiety, Depression....They go hand in hand for me...

There is no replacement for natural sunshine when it comes to S A D in my opinion...

Lets face it the sun is the source of fuel for almost if not all every life form on earth....

In Irish winters I sink like a concrete block into a dark rut of depression, anxiety, SAD, DP and general gloom...In summer when its warm bright and the sky is blue my mental health issues all but vanish...

Its not a coincidence...My concentration, focus, energy levels, cognitive abilities etc etc etc are far superior in summer...Even my eyesight is perfectly normal on bright sunny days but yet its total crap on darker greyer days...

Light boxes dont do squat for me...The light is too artificial....In my opinion bright sunshine is vital for mental well being...

My favourite time of the day is when the sun is rising....Its when im most at peace....

When the sky is grey and dark my brain tunes out on me and my overall mental well being deteriorates...My insomnia is even worse in winter...

I despise Irish winters with a passion....Even Christmas doesnt pick me up...

·
Registered
93 Posts
I am sorry to hear about your situation. I naturally agree that the human need of sun exposure is undeniable. For me, a lack of sun exposure results in a sense of a constant state of sleep. Did you suffer from SAD before becoming depersonalized? Do you suffer from DP only during the winter months? Although, in my own experience, the response to the change of seasons is too immediate to reflect any change in vitamin D status, there is research suggesting that low vitamin-D levels could result in depression that could be alleviated via supplementation. You could consider this strategy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts