Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, ive had dp for 8-9 months now but im just starting to come out of it. i can feel flashes of my old self again but because
im not fully back yet, however, i have parts of the day where i feel very different. Im scared i could become a different person at the end of this. is it possible that the dp could change me or make me suseptable to becoming a different person
(even if just slightly). so, basically, i want to know if i will come out the same as i went in. does anyone feel like they
are a different person once theyve fully healed/recovered? im scared please help (ps) i find myself missing my father and having heartache ive never really felt before. im worried.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
does anyone feel like a different person after theyve come out of it? if so, please explain how to me. thank you

G

·
I am going to say just one thing that I read somewhere.

If you're scared of changing, remember that the person you have been got you to where you are now, so do you really want to carry on being that person? Why go back to how you were before if how you were before got you to how you are now?

Maybe food for thought.

G

·
Don't worry, If you work on getting better, no matter how much it hurts, then you won't be changing for the worst. Try to dismiss your fears. Follow your intuition and your true feelings even if at first you can't hear them. They will get louder the more you pay attention. Then you should start feeling better.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
What I'm hearing you say is that you are afraid that you are going to come out of dp as someone you don't recognize? Like a stranger to yourself? That is actually what dp makes you feel, not what the absense of dp makes you feel. Depersonalization at it's core is a separation from self. As we recover, our sense of self reintegrates into our awareness. I believe that dp happens because we lack something or because our method of dealing with something needs to change. I know, that for myself, dp has changed a lot of things about me. Before dp I was an extremely depressed negative person. I was so miserable that I couldn't speak any words of encouragement to another person. I also had issues with trying to control other people, being extremely selfish, and not facing things like grief. Dp was basically my brain saying that those things HAD to be addressed. I have worked through them one by one and now that I am recovering, I find myself changed. I do not feel like a stranger to myself, not like my consciouness was transported into another body or anything. I just feel like the bad parts of me were forced to be dealt with. I feel like I am a better person than I was before. I think it is also worth noting that, as a general rule, people are constantly changing. Our interests, personalities, etc all change over time. So yes, you are going to be a different person that you were 9 months ago. I certainly am a different person than I was 3 years ago when I got dp. But as I said, it's not a bad thing.

If you're worried that you are going to come out of dp as a serial killer I would say that chance of that is slim to none. You are fine. Don't stress.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
valleygirl, sorry i stopped reading after the first sentence or two so excuse me if i say something that uve gone over in the remainder of your paragraph. i understand what you are saying but i am very clear that i am coming out of my dp. i am more in touch with my feelings than ever but i am scared that this loneliness will change me(for the worse). i know that this is part of a cycle (of recovery) but im scared it could effect me. its like now that the dp is gone, im left with a blank slate aka raw emotions and i want to heal properly. i feel i am (or was, before my dp) agood person. i just was very stressed out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts