Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
I don't know if this is normal but I think I'm sared of recovering somehow. Does anybody else feel this way? I mean I have grown up with this so I don't even know how life is being "normal", I just feel like I would be way more vulnerable! Is this even true, do you feel hurt and pain when you're normal? And also do you really feel happiness and joy? And if so, how do you deal with it once you recover?

·
Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member
276 Posts
I think normality would lead you to have more in-depth feelings, but I suppose that would also depend on how in-depth they were to begin with. I've never been an overly emotional person.

Regardless, recovering would alleviate your feelings of vulnerability. Remember; you're essentially getting rid of your brain's constant lookout for danger. Recovering is taking away your fight/flight response, thus no longer feeling as scared to do anything.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I feel this way too, like I've gained some sort on insight which I might lose if I was fully recovered, and that could also make me lose my sense of self - which is a complete paradox as feeling like I'm losing myself is worst when I'm having a severe attack!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Do agree with this, there are times where I'm fearful of recovery. When you've had DP for so long you do want to recover but DP has become our "normal" and we're afraid of change.

In another one of my topics I described DP as being a defence mechanism and I believe that it is, so naturally being recovered will make you more vulnerable. Emotions will have the potencial to hurt you more, but on the other hand the postives of being able to fully experience life the way that it's meant to and to fully experience the postive emotions will far outweight the risks.

Have heard that similarly to how we don't remember what life was like without the DP, when we think of our memories it's as if we had DP in them etc, that when we're recovered we won't recall what DP feels like. Apparently when you're recovered and think back to the time when you had DP it will feel as if you were normal during the period.

G

·
I don't know if this is normal but I think I'm sared of recovering somehow. Does anybody else feel this way? I mean I have grown up with this so I don't even know how life is being "normal", I just feel like I would be way more vulnerable! Is this even true, do you feel hurt and pain when you're normal? And also do you really feel happiness and joy? And if so, how do you deal with it once you recover?
I suppose it's natural to fear the unknown. Like you, I've really never known any other world other than my dissociative world. Do I fear recovery? Sometimes I guess, but not too much, b/c I can see the problems I have with being dissociative. Mostly I look forward to recovering. I look forward to processing emotions as they come up instead of pushing them away and then not being able to access them again.

'Normal' people feel hurt and pain. That's a part of life. The big difference is 'they' work through the hurt and pain as it's happening. They feel the difficult emotions b/c they can't push it away. They have no choice but to work their way through their feelings and emotions. That's one reason why 'normal' people talk about how they feel, b/c that's a part of normal processing, understanding and growing.

Dissociative people are full of fears and phobias. I think it'll be much nicer when we no longer have those fears and phobias affecting so many parts of our lives..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts