Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was once an co-owner of this site.. I’ve moved on. Some of you may know me,

i am disgusted to see what this site has become. When I joined in 06 it was free and helpful…I left in 2015 after that owner sold it, when it was gifted to him. Today I see premium memberships, and no chat room.

dpselfhelp when the original owner revelation made it, was to help others in their quest for answers. To come back now after many years on here; and see the “business” it’s become is messed up. Please, do not pay for premium membership because it’s not giving back to anyone with dpsh. It’s giving to vertical scope..

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yeah, the forum worsened in several ways ever since it was sold to Verticalscope. Ads became much more prominent. But the worst thing is that activity declined very significantly, although this cannot only be blamed to Verticalscope. Facebook and Reddit replaced many classic forums.

By the way: Revelation returned some months ago with quite a similar post. It was deleted and he was banned. Let's see if you share the same fate. :p

·
Administrator
1,044 Posts
Here's the thread of Revelations Return, In case anyone is interested

·
Administrator
1,044 Posts
I was once an co-owner of this site.. I’ve moved on. Some of you may know me,

i am disgusted to see what this site has become. When I joined in 06 it was free and helpful…I left in 2015 after that owner sold it, when it was gifted to him. Today I see premium memberships, and no chat room.

dpselfhelp when the original owner revelation made it, was to help others in their quest for answers. To come back now after many years on here; and see the “business” it’s become is messed up. Please, do not pay for premium membership because it’s not giving back to anyone with dpsh. It’s giving to vertical scope..
The chatroom was a cesspool for teenage keyboard warrior trolls. Let me tell you, the first time I ever saw Deeza in the chatroom, he linked to the murder video "2 Guys 1 Hammer". The forum lost all the decent members because these guys would terrorize everyone on the forum. I'll tell you how I became an admin. One of these guys snatched a FAMILY photo of Selig, one of the Admins, with his wife and kid... and photoshopped dicks all over it and posted it to the discussion board, so I banned him. Jeff then promoted me from regular mod to admin. When this gang went to tinychat, you wouldn't be surprised to see Adam/Apoplexy taking a shit live on camera. I saw TWO death videos posted live in the tinychat, one, a guy on Golden Gate Bridge was filmed jumping. I saw that shit. Another, a woman at a gun range shot another stranger at the gun range. I didn't ask to see those videos, nor was I warned. You're a fucking lunatic if you think the chatroom was a good thing. However, we do have an unofficial chatroom if you'd like me to link to that. One of our Admins is usually there. And don't worry about "Premiums".. the only ones with Premium access are Vertical Scope and the Admins,... which they updated us for free so we can admin that shit... which is literally nothing, noone is missing anything. And let me state this: what I spoke about the trolls, is only the tip of the iceberg. Also, I'm a volunteer and have absolutely nothing to do with Vertical Scope.

·
Registered
293 Posts
The chatroom was a cesspool for teenage keyboard warrior trolls. Let me tell you, the first time I ever saw Deeza in the chatroom, he linked to the murder video "2 Guys 1 Hammer". The forum lost all the decent members because these guys would terrorize everyone on the forum. I'll tell you how I became an admin. One of these guys snatched a FAMILY photo of Selig, one of the Admins, with his wife and kid... and photoshopped dicks all over it and posted it to the discussion board, so I banned him. Jeff then promoted me from regular mod to admin. When this gang went to tinychat, you wouldn't be surprised to see Adam/Apoplexy taking a shit live on camera. I saw TWO death videos posted live in the tinychat, one, a guy on Golden Gate Bridge was filmed jumping. I saw that shit. Another, a woman at a gun range shot another stranger at the gun range. I didn't ask to see those videos, nor was I warned. You're a fucking lunatic if you think the chatroom was a good thing. However, we do have an unofficial chatroom if you'd like me to link to that. One of our Admins is usually there. And don't worry about "Premiums".. the only ones with Premium access are Vertical Scope and the Admins,... which they updated us for free so we can admin that shit... which is literally nothing, noone is missing anything. And let me state this: what I spoke about the trolls, is only the tip of the iceberg. Also, I'm a volunteer and have absolutely nothing to do with Vertical Scope.
Wow. People never cease to disgust me. Albeit, people like that don’t represent all of humanity, but STILL. Idiots.

·
Administrator
816 Posts
No-one likes adverts, but the site was effectively stolen by someone and sold on for money. VS have at least paid to update the ancient software (eventually), which no longer functioned, but, like most boards I know, it has declined in activity, as most people seem to do everything through social media these days.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Are you TDX?
No, I am your father. :ROFLMAO:

No-one likes adverts, but the site was effectively stolen by someone and sold on for money. VS have at least paid to update the ancient software (eventually), which no longer functioned, but, like most boards I know, it has declined in activity, as most people seem to do everything through social media these days.
It seems to work for the moment. But what are you gonna do when Verticalscope pulls the plug? As you said social media is replacing forums more and more, possibly the same way webforums used to replace newsgroups. This threatens their business model in the long run. Are you expecting them to hand over the database to you once this happens?

·
Administrator
816 Posts
It seems to work for the moment. But what are you gonna do when Verticalscope pulls the plug? As you said social media is replacing forums more and more, possibly the same way webforums used to replace newsgroups. This threatens their business model in the long run. Are you expecting them to hand over the database to you once this happens?
What am I going to do? Nothing. It's not my website, and if they want to sell it that's up to them.

·
Administrator
816 Posts
The site was abandoned and scuttled around 2017 by the then team when it was sold to VS. We felt it was a good resource so we kept it going. We kept it going even when we were screening hundreds of spammers a day, until the site finally got updated. The site would have been dust years ago if it wasn't for TOF and Anna.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Oh man....

·
Registered
100 Posts
Oh man....
One might say that in the past the forum had a lot of destructive energy, although I did not really notice much of it, maybe because I did not spend much time in the chat. But now it doesn't have much energy at all, which probably isn't even the fault of the admins or Verticalscope, but of social networks draining the users from this site.

Generally in my opinion the solution should not be to try to contain this energy, but instead to channel it into the right direction. And this direction would be against psychiatry instead against each other. Then perhaps psychiatry would start to take depersonalization a little more seriously.

·
Registered
391 Posts
One might say that in the past the forum had a lot of destructive energy, although I did not really notice much of it, maybe because I did not spend much time in the chat. But now it doesn't have much energy at all, which probably isn't even the fault of the admins or Verticalscope, but of social networks draining the users from this site.

Generally in my opinion the solution should not be to try to contain this energy, but instead to channel it into the right direction. And this direction would be against psychiatry instead against each other. Then perhaps psychiatry would start to take depersonalization a little more seriously.
I am not sure we would be able to do anything significant about psychiatry from here, and there are already many problems between psychiatry and so many mental illnesses. Also we sometimes don't agree on different points and although debating about that can be interesting, I am not sure it serves our recovery. At least it doesn't help mine.
But we could direct our energy to recovery and finding solutions. I like the approach of alcoholics anonymous, where they have a time for shares and shares are only about ones own life and it is forbidden to give unrequested advice or to answer someone's share, which gives some space to speak freely and prevents getting distracted by controversy, struggle for power, controlling stuff. Maybe we don't need this as much, but I like the fact that everything is done to discourage debates and focus on recovery. The little structure they have is mostly oriented toward this objective. Also I like the fact that anybody can give his own experience and others are free to use it or not, and it is very frowned upon to force ones opinion about recovery onto others. People generally accept that others are smart enough to listen to others and make their own opinions.

·
Registered
100 Posts
But we could direct our energy to recovery and finding solutions.
There is only a very limited degree of what people can achieve on an internet forum in terms of finding a solution to a medical problem that is probaby just as complex as depression and schizophrenia. Online communities for people with depersonlization disorder have been existing for about 25 years. By themselves they achieved almost nothing. All treatments were discovered by the few medical professionals who decided to look into this disorder. No real advances came from this and other forums and this holds true for the majority of all medical problems. What you call "recovery" and "finding solutions" is for the most part a mirage. We can't achieve this ourselves.

I am not sure we would be able to do anything significant about psychiatry from here, and there are already many problems between psychiatry and so many mental illnesses.
There is much that could be done from the internet to annoy psychiatrists and become a nuisance. Basically that was the approach of the chronic fatigue syndrome community and it worked quite well for them.

·
Registered
391 Posts
There is only a very limited degree of what people can achieve on an internet forum in terms of finding a solution to a medical problem that is probaby just as complex as depression and schizophrenia. Online communities for people with depersonlization disorder have been existing for about 25 years. By themselves they achieved almost nothing. All treatments were discovered by the few medical professionals who decided to look into this disorder. No real advances came from this and other forums and this holds true for the majority of all medical problems. What you call "recovery" and "finding solutions" is for the most part a mirage. We can't achieve this ourselves.

There is much that could be done from the internet to annoy psychiatrists and become a nuisance. Basically that was the approach of the chronic fatigue syndrome community and it worked quite well for them.
That's true. I doubt that we will find a brand new solution that therapists haven't thought about and that will cure many people. But perhaps we can use people's experiences to find our own version of a solution. Kind of what people do in a support group, or what they do in AA. Each person can find their personal answers or what something means for them, but they rarely come up with a special answer that changes everything in the field.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry just now responding. I’m not on here often.

Dave, I was referring mainly to the chat pre the teen keyboard warrior trolls, i.e the sgtpepperlsd days back in ‘06. I won’t confirm who I am but it’s probably pretty obvious.

As for the rest, I’ve always respected you, you make a great admin, I’ve always thought and said that. My gripe is that the site was given to Selig, then sold for profit. Id rather not get started on him, there are things people don’t know and-you’d absolutely never put him on the pedestal you might if you did.

When I originally joined it was a place for answers, probably the only thing that kept me from ending it all, that was 15 years ago though. I still suffer with DP but I function quite well.

I was just a bit disturbed to see premium shit, but if it’s what you say I trust you. All in all, this site is what it is, it served its purpose for me, I hope it does for those whom Still utilize it.

PS.

For newbies. For the love of god I beg you, harris Harrington is a fucking fraud don’t buy any of his shit 😂😂

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Phantasm
The site was abandoned and scuttled around 2017 by the then team when it was sold to VS. We felt it was a good resource so we kept it going. We kept it going even when we were screening hundreds of spammers a day, until the site finally got updated. The site would have been dust years ago if it wasn't for TOF and Anna.
I don’t like the term abandoned. Considering I was part of that Team. There was a LOT of behind the scenes things that the admin team didn’t agree with. I will say, Dave, god bless him, cause he stayed; I had made the choice that year to move on regardless, but the way it happened was messy and unnecessary.

·
Registered
505 Posts
For the love of god I beg you, harris Harrington is a fucking fraud don’t buy any of his shit
why? just because it didnt help you?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts