Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no idea why but when I say a sentence the senetence will repeat in my head like three or four times until I say something else. I think of sentences in my head often to say out loud but no emotion is behind the thought and I’ll just keep it myself. Lastly I find myself repeating words to songs OVER and OVER in my head usually from the moment I wake up until I go to sleep. Anyone relate to this. I am able to create mental pictures but the images evoke no emotion and so I just stop trying.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Yep. That's me, day in, day out, every day, though it's not usually things that I say, but things I overhear from others. Beyond that it's either songs or movie or television quotes. It's annoying. The only thing that stops it is to hyper focus on a book or some academic work, which I think is why I enjoyed school so much and I've always been super depressed and insane-feeling whenever I'm not in school. Strange, I know.

·
Registered
41 Posts
yes I have extreme earworms too. music plays from waking til sleep. it plays in tandem with thoughts and even movements. i think it's my way of filling in any possible gap so I think less about the strange sensation of DP. it does induce a lot of anxiety though, or vice versa.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Has anything helped the emotional numbness?? I occasionally get an emotional feeling in my gut when I'm with my gf however it's not often. I tried choline supplements along with phosphatidylserine and it helped A LITTLE bit the effects were short lived. I'm starting to look into medication have either do you had success with specific meds?
yes I have extreme earworms too. music plays from waking til sleep. it plays in tandem with thoughts and even movements. i think it's my way of filling in any possible gap so I think less about the strange sensation of DP. it does induce a lot of anxiety though, or vice versa.
Yep. That's me, day in, day out, every day, though it's not usually things that I say, but things I overhear from others. Beyond that it's either songs or movie or television quotes. It's annoying. The only thing that stops it is to hyper focus on a book or some academic work, which I think is why I enjoyed school so much and I've always been super depressed and insane-feeling whenever I'm not in school. Strange, I know.

·
Registered
631 Posts
With respect to emotional numbness, no, I haven't found a my medications to help. My biggest concern has always been being able to "function" and ADDerall helped with that, for awhile at least. I wouldn't commend I though as a permanent solution.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With respect to emotional numbness, no, I haven't found a my medications to help. My biggest concern has always been being able to "function" and ADDerall helped with that, for awhile at least. I wouldn't commend I though as a permanent solution.
I'm able to I have friends a girlfriend and even a full time summer job but nothing is an experience because my emotions are like gone

·
Registered
485 Posts
I'm able to I have friends a girlfriend and even a full time summer job but nothing is an experience because my emotions are like gone
Count your blessings then. Some of us on here have had such disabilng dp and cognitive problems that normal day to day functioning was and still is a long gone thing of the past.

And about the music in the head thing, yes Ive had this for years and I believe its called "Involuntary Musical Imagery".

·
Registered
40 Posts
Before dp I loved music. Still do. It’s one of the things that helps me feel connected to my old self a bit. I’ve always had a good musical memory and a wide range of songs and artists I enjoy. You know how the last song you heard will get stuck in your head for a little bit? Well it’s kinda like that permanently now I guess. Songs in my head keep unpleasant thoughts at bay I guess.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Count your blessings then. Some of us on here have had such disabilng dp and cognitive problems that normal day to day functioning was and still is a long gone thing of the past.

And about the music in the head thing, yes Ive had this for years and I believe its called "Involuntary Musical Imagery".
Exactly. I just spent the day sobbing on my own, while all my friends are at a festival. Sometimes I think there should be more than one type of DP. Emotional numbness is terrible but it's not the same as crippling dissociation.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I wouldn’t say count your blessing because I’m currently living a life that’s impossible to actually experience so functionality means nothing as of now. Life isn’t life without emotions

1 - 10 of 10 Posts