Depersonalization Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can we have ideas and maybe "proofs" and arguments that refute Solipsism (everything exists only in my mind) ?

I think what makes most people here aware of the theory of Solipsism is because once DP/DR kicks in ,we feel that we are alone and the only existing being ,therefore I think it is an important thing to overcome ,to feel assured that Solipsism is bullshit,

·
Registered
342 Posts
There’s no 100% irrefutable argument against it, in the same way that there are invisible aliens are amongst us spying on us is irrefutable too. There’s many problems with it though: It doesn’t explain where you came from. The biggest problem I think is it’s very existence, how do you explain the fact that while you’re sitting there worrying over this, I’m over here worrying the same thing? I’ve battled this philosophy in the past plenty. You just have to accept it for the bullshit that it is.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
It's much better to disregard the philosophy of Solipsism entirely. If you're not asking the questions surrounding existence then your brain shouldn't loop you through the possible answers and refutations.

Generally, this is an incredibly difficult thing to do and it'll take time to switch that thinking. If you really need to combat Solipsism then think of this:

• Why is this philosophy - out of every other philosophy, of which there are millions - the one that you give credit to?

The general theory behind Solipsism is that your mind is the only tool of construction for the reality around you. In this sense, whatever precludes your own existence is naturally not upon your own volition. This goes against the core belief of Solipsism, which is that your mind is the only thing to exist and create. Even leaving that alone, ask yourself how your own mind could possibly create every single reality around you. Your knowledge is limited, but yet you can create sprawling civilizations and massive groups of people, culture, and philosophies. Far-fetched, to be honest.

Even if you wanted to leave the philosophy of it alone entirely, remind yourself of why this theory is irrefutable: there is no evidence to suggest otherwise. If this is your main contention, then any philosophy that cannot be proven must be true until refuted. In that sense, who's to say that our universe isn't traveling on a turtle's back through the cosmos? Who's to say that the sun isn't just a huge ball of interstellar wood that has been perpetually burning for a millennia? You wouldn't accept these theories, but they share the same foundation of Solipsism: They can neither be proven nor refuted, so it must remain true until further evidence is given?

Believe me, I've wrestled with this belief for a number of years. I was a Solipsist for awhile, even subscribed to the belief. But the sooner you start to realize how silly it would be to accept anything that's just a passing philosophical thought, the more you start to realize (along with several other philosophies) why they should be taken with a grain of salt. It's certainly difficult to get out of that thought process, but continuing to tell yourself how silly these philosophies actually are will start to relax your brain to a point where you dismiss these theories rather quickly.

·
Registered
90 Posts
This thread is great, because I thought this powerful when believed will kill you to your core. I went through this very bad. I was panicked and thought I could never disprove it , there was no hope etc. what I did , even though it feels unnatural, is literally repress the thoughts by letting it "pass" like any other thought. I literally thought to myself, "this is a cool thought, doesn't mean it's true." The funny thing is I had read about slopsism etc before dp dr and thought it was an interesting concept, because I didn't really believe it, when your mind isn't warped and filled with anxiety this comes naturally. You don't have to accept "maybe it's true" to get over it. All you have to do Is simply, get it out of your head. Then when you do this the more and more it comes, the less anxiety you'll have cause your brain will learn not to recognize it as a threat, causing you to think more rationally and realize this is false without even trying. You may relapse, happened to me. But I get stronger every time, I have new existential stupid ass worries lol. One thing that helped me was "organ transplants ," "if I was god God and came out of my moms womb and she never spoke to me in my life I would have no idea how to speak. When I came out they taught me communication cause they are conscious and learned it before." It's all part of dp, you never thought of it before did you. It's an intrusive thought based on emotional reasoning then rational reasoning, because since your feeling the world isn't real your brain is latching onto the emotional reasoning and trying to make a rational concept , but its just bullshit . The best bullshit ever! Also if you were god you'd have to have some kind of "space" outside yourself to create things. Also if you were god why not make conscious people instead of hollagrams, your god. Also god never gets lonely, he is already a "whole" , if you believe in the real god, he didn't make us cause he was lonely. He made us cause he saw it was good. He still loves us, just didn't do it cause he was alone. It's hilariously contradicting, that's why this isn't a common thought to anyone without dp cause it's just kind of common since. Really hope this saves someone.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I honestly do not think I had ever encountered the theory before DP. However, I know if I had, I would have dismissed it in its absurdity immediately. That was 21 years of my life with no knowledge of the theory. That helped me dismiss it once I got DP.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Long time before I got DR/DP ,I used to read about this stupid idea of Solipsim and thought hey thats cool if it is true ,if it was true then I should not be afraid of anything because everything originates from myself ,then when I got DR I said shit I hope that is not true I am so scared I dont want to be everything I want other creatures to be as real as me

·
Registered
20 Posts
Can we have ideas and maybe "proofs" and arguments that refute Solipsism (everything exists only in my mind) ?

I think what makes most people here aware of the theory of Solipsism is because once DP/DR kicks in ,we feel that we are alone and the only existing being ,therefore I think it is an important thing to overcome ,to feel assured that Solipsism is bullshit,
Sadly, there is no way to prove or disprove solipsism. The key point, does it matter? Being scared by concepts such as this and being unable to gain assurance, are very classic DP or even OCD kind of symptoms. The truth is, we don't know what the world is and how it all got here. What we do have, is our experience. That is completely and utterly undeniable. If I see a cute puppy as I walk down the road, and can't help but hold it and giggle at how cute it is; does it really matter if the puppy is real or not? These kinds of questions and worries, are hallmarks of mental health difficulties. The same way, I don't care if my hands harbour millions of germs, or none. Whilst somebody with OCD, can become completely panicked by such thoughts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts