Depersonalization Support Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi there,

Ok, i know the title sounds silly but i actually dont mean it as a joke. Read me first..

My story about dp began 4 years ago, having a bad trip on lsd which caused some depersonalization and right thereafter stress and superalcoholics caused full blown depersonalization, i was in hell for 2-3 months and thereafter i (slowly) recovered gradually over the last 4 years..

I am feeling quite allright in the last 2 years, i would say i have recovered 70%, if you can put a percentage on the recovery from such a condition. What i know is that the symptoms got weaker over time, but the foundations of the "disease" are still there, so i can say that im not cured, i only got alot better.

I can function normally, but i dont have any sense of humor. It is dead. I have isolated myself socially as well, as i dont find company leasurable anymore. Another symptom is that when i watch videos of show hosts having interviews with guests on youtube, it makes me feel very strange watching it, as though my personality is still somewhat "broken" just from seeing it.

These are the symptoms that i still suffer from.

Particularly hurting is that i have to pretend to laugh.. i dont laugh anymore, i dont find anything funny and jokes actually make me sad. This hurts alot, i was once a funny guy, now no longer. I am boring AS HELL and this makes me ashamed. I have also a story of social anxiety, which only further worsens my condition.

So anyway, i have done research about depersonalization and from what i discovered, there is a glutamate-gaba linkage involved, with this explanation being the best i have found yet:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21742442

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2954603/

Strangely enough, the only thing that takes away momentarily this apathy/lack of humor/depersonalization is RED BULL the beverage. I play amateur icehockey, and before the games i drink it as it wakes up my body. I noticed that by drinking red bull, i regain momentarily my old-self back and i can be humorous again for a few hours.. it works like magic.

The only ingredient i can think of in red bull that can cause this effect is taurine and/or caffeine

On taurine, there is research linking it to the above studies:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2213632017300088

"Both, the ASDs and the taurine were failed to suppress generalized tonic-clonic seizures in LPK mice. However, taurine supplementation clearly restored the anti-seizure effect of tested ASDs. Further neurochemical studies revealed that higher levels of taurine in the hippocampus and cerebral cortex restored the imbalance between major excitatory neurotransmitters glutamate & its inhibitory counterpart GABA."

So my question is:

has anybody tried out taurine and if so, what effects did it have on you?

Another potential "culprit" for the betterment of my condition is the caffeine in red bull.

I gues many people drink coffee regularly here, what effect does it have on you? Caffeine is also a weak k-opioid antagonist, so it should have a positive effect, since some people have had succes with naltrexone.

Thanks in advance

·
Administrator
1,395 Posts
I drank 2 Rockstars every single day for years. Didn't miss a single day, I swear. Some days I'd have 3 of them. My heart started feeling funny and missing beats. This is a serious problem with energy drinks. I quit cold turkey after my heart was beating weirdly for a week or two. I couldn't stay awake for 2-3 weeks as I went through the withdrawals and the removal of the chemical dependency that I had built up through excessively drinking the Rockstars.

I do drink coffee daily though. Not more than 1-2 cups per morning. Lately I've been noticing I don't need it as much, but still if I miss the morning drink, then I'm sure to have to take a nap in the middle of the day.

The brains natural neurotransmitters/chemicals weaken when caffeine is abused. The synapses become dependent on the caffeine to do the job for them. That's why/how people who drink coffee every day can't go without it.

I'll be sure to quit coffee sooner than later. Instead I drink 1 gallon a day of healthy clean water that I fill up at a natural spring. Water is best... don't drink too much Red Bull is my advice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes i was thinking more about taurine supplementation.,. drinking energy drinks more days in a row upsets my stomach

·
Registered
8 Posts
Actually i have tried today 1x redbull (1000mg taurine, 80 mg coffeine, b vitamines) and a sports beverage with 800mg taurine, b vistamines and 200mg coffeine

I snapped out of depersonalization completely, i feel light i my head particularly in my front lobe as well as improved toughts.. the first time in 4 years! not exagerating

Possibly the taurine (antiepileptic) in conjunction with coffeine (stimulant) does indeed work, at least on me 100%

Can somebody replicate it and tell the results? The cost is 1,50 for the redbull and i paid 20 euro for the sports beverage. I guess 2 redbull and a coffee would do it too.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Caffeine greatly reduces my derealization. If I take a vitamin b super complex and drink a cup of coffee I usually feel pretty good for a few hours UNLESS it gives me anxiety. With my brain it's kind of like playing russian roulette. I seem to respond differently to the same things.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Caffeine greatly reduces my derealization. If I take a vitamin b super complex and drink a cup of coffee I usually feel pretty good for a few hours UNLESS it gives me anxiety. With my brain it's kind of like playing russian roulette. I seem to respond differently to the same things.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i think im out of dp, i still feel like im out of it after 3 days.. no other words can describe it. I think it was the taurine since i drank caffeine before. My head feels light, i feel like my old self again, it feels like a miracle.

Ppl try taurine it may be beneficial to you, i took me out of depersonalization for good, my head cleared up! no joke, i am not making up things its the honest truth

MODS can you move this post to recovery stories?

I took two of this and a redbull:

IMG-20190816-180325598.jpg

·
Registered
631 Posts
Funny, I just checked my cabinet and realized that I do have Taurine in bulk. Must have purchased it awhile ago when I was feeling desperate searching forums and experimenting with anything that anyone with head/brain problems recommended. I had taken it sporadically in the past, but maybe I'll try it now solo and religiously, see if I observe any change.

·
Registered
125 Posts
It could be the taurine, I heard it’s good for the nervous system. I haven’t tried it but it is on my list of things to try. Can you explain what other symptoms you have from dp? You mentioned lack of empathy and humor but is that it?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts