Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why did it take me a year to recover the first time and a one month to recover the second time ? I️ was actually way more scared the second time because I️ had a wedding coming up. I️ have it a third time and was hoping it would be even less time or the same as the second time but it’s not going:( Im so scared and keep thinking about suicide, I️ don’t want to die at all but I️ don’t want to live like this, it’s not living. I’m also pregnant which is making this even scarier because I️ was so excited to start this chapter on my life but I️ can’t care for a baby in this state.

·
Registered
669 Posts
DP often doesn't make much sense on the surface. It's an imbalance without clear cause and effect. So the length of time you have it can vary, the catalyst for it varies, and so will the steps needed in order for it to go away. It's not as logical as minor stressor = 1 month of DP, moderate stressor = 6 months of DP, etc. It's rooted in the mind and the mind more or less does as it pleases. We also can't see into the mind to ascertain precisely what needs fixing. We have no way of knowing whether you have residual anxiety/trauma built up over an extended period or whether you just have bouts of DP that will lift of their own volition.

I do often hear about pregnant women who experience feelings of faintness, dizziness, and other symptoms that resemble DP/DR, so it's pretty safe to say that your hormones are contributing to your current situation to at least some degree.

If I were in your shoes I would probably try to alleviate the anxiety naturally while pregnant, and then re-evaluate after the birth, to see whether you need to be on medication or if you will stabilize again automatically after having the child. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Recovery is a process. But I've noticed that people who can be patient about recovery, recover faster. It's like a Chinese finger trap. The more force you apply, the worse it gets.

If you can accept that you have DP great. This doesn't mean you need to resign yourself to it. Just accept that "ok, I have this and now I need to do the actions to recover".

I'm not saying this is easy. I couldn't accept it but others could accept theirs. But I started taking the actions (medication to reduce symptoms, therapy to discuss underlying issues, etc.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.