Depersonalization Support Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, I'm a 100% recovered sufferer of over a year of DP and I'm here to give you a little pep talk. Hopefully, I can shine a new light on your perspective of the condition and give you more optimism and hope on your recovery. First off let's talk about recovery, it doesn't matter if you've only had DP for a couple of weeks or for years and years, it is always in your power to be able to recover. The amount of time that you've had it doesn't matter because 100% recovery is always possible and if your one of those people who has had it for years ill just let you know that the only reason that you haven't recovered is that you haven't been doing the right things in order for you to recover. DP/DR is actually an extremely common, and simple, anxiety symptom. It's not like you've turned on this DP switch in your brain that cannot be turned off, it's, in fact, something that you can ONLY feel when you are experiencing anxiety. And yes I know that many of you are like "wait hold up there has been tons of times that I haven't been anxious by I've still felt DP" I'll sure as hell let you know that it is totally not possible because the feeling of DP/DR itself is an overactive part of your brain that only fires off when you are feeling stressed or anxious that's why the condition can be so malleable, if you truely weren't anxious you most likely would have been totally distracted from feelings of DP and have not even been thinking about it at all. For everyone it's different but for me when I had DP I hardly felt it at all if I could truly distract myself either with friends or if I was in the peace and quiet of my room doing something engaging like a video game, on the other hand, my feelings would immensely intensify at public places and whenever I was in a large crowd. When I first got DP/DR I felt hopeless, always anxious as hell, depressed, and I noticed that I couldn't really enjoy the things I used to be able to do. I lost hope quite quickly after getting it and I have to blame part of it on DP forums like this. When I saw people who had had it for years and years and people saying that they couldn't recover the feelings of dread that I experienced was indescribable. But me being a savvy person I tried to stay optimistic and I eventually found some articles and pages that explained DP better, the one that was the light in the darkness for me was the DP manual written by Shaun O'Connor and geez I have to tell you guys this man is an absolute GODSEND. Through his manual, it helped me understand the very nature of DP and how it is truly something so simple and so harmless that after you recover you're going to sit back and say "what was I even worried about" and probably have a great little laugh over it. DP in its nature is almost a form of OCD, something that only exists because you've given it relevance. Admit it there are times where your thinking about it A LOT, you probably ask yourself "how am I feeling right now" A LOT and its something that most likely comes back to you A LOT. ALL IT IS IS AN OBSESSIVE HABIT. DP is a very simple feeling that most people will feel temporary one time or another and the only reason that it has existed is because you've given it relevance to prolong WAYY longer than it should and to get out of this habit, this very harmless and very simple feeling, is actually not hard at all you just need to take the right steps to recover. Take what people on forums like this say with a grain of salt, those other people that have had it for so long aren't you that doesn't mean that that's going to be you at all, those other people as I said before really just haven't done the right things to break this thought habit because they cut out such large portions of their lives to continuously give it relevance and wallow in their own self-pity. And since all DP/DR is just a thought habit it is 100% recoverable and every single one of you can and will recover, it doesn't matter how long you've had it, the environmental factors in your life, or what caused it in the first place. Now I HIGHLY recommend the DP manual by Shaun O'Connor please look into it, it goes further into depth on the condition and recovery and the last note lets leave all comments positive and uplifted. Even if you don't agree with what I said then keep it to yourself. NOW GET OUT THERE AND RECOVER BECAUSE DEEP DOWN YOU KNOW YOU CAN!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Well, I have been where you are atm, optimistic, thought I figured it all out...recovered...happy for a month. Then all of the sudden my mind hit a threshold and went in suicidal mode, ME, I, the optimistic, recovered guy feel even MORE hopeless than with DP. During DP I have never had suicidal thoughts because I knew I'd get better. Guess what, not everyone can control their minds! I thought like you, but you talk like your methods work for everyone.

I blame DP for my current, fragile state I am in, DP and the thoughts are poison for your mind.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts