Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently came across a book at the library entitled "Mental Health Through Will Training." The founder of the Recovery group designed a system and techniques to assist former "Nervous and Mental Patients" cope with the various life stresses One of the things I read that I thought was a valuable concept for me at least, was the recognition that we may experience strange sensations and feelings but we don't have to associate danger or fear to our strange feelings. Feelings are just feelings rather than concrete facts. These strange sensatins and feelings rise up and are experienced then they generally change or fade away.

Over these many years since i have been experiencing dp/dr states I have had strange sensations, like the feelings I sometimes get when walking across an intersection in traffic and "feel" as though my legs are empty or disappearing or my pants are filled only with air etc. I will grab the waist line of my pants to keep my body sense centralised and from falling into pieces, yet I know that what i am feeling is not real although it feels very real at the time but through an effort of "will" I keep walking. So I do believe an effort of "will" may play a big part in overcoming this affliction. This Recovery group apparently has support groups all over the world. So I was curious if anyone here has any experience with the system and teachings of Recovery Inc.

Thanks
John

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I recently came across a book at the library entitled "Mental Health Through Will Training." The founder of the Recovery group designed a system and techniques to assist former "Nervous and Mental Patients" cope with the various life stresses One of the things I read that I thought was a valuable concept for me at least, was the recognition that we may experience strange sensations and feelings but we don't have to associate danger or fear to our strange feelings. Feelings are just feelings rather than concrete facts. These strange sensatins and feelings rise up and are experienced then they generally change or fade away.

Over these many years since i have been experiencing dp/dr states I have had strange sensations, like the feelings I sometimes get when walking across an intersection in traffic and "feel" as though my legs are empty or disappearing or my pants are filled only with air etc. I will grab the waist line of my pants to keep my body sense centralised and from falling into pieces, yet I know that what i am feeling is not real although it feels very real at the time but through an effort of "will" I keep walking. So I do believe an effort of "will" may play a big part in overcoming this affliction. This Recovery group apparently has support groups all over the world. So I was curious if anyone here has any experience with the system and teachings of Recovery Inc.

Thanks
John

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
John, thanks for your post. That is one thing I found hard to come to terms with while experiencing dp is the funny sensations & weird feelings that seemed indescribable. It almost felt like if you could put words to them or made sense of them they would be logical & go away.

I was watching an Australian Soapie about an Emergency Department last night & a lady was on there with anxiety & she was saying I have to stay here cause I know this sounds crazy but it feels like all my bits on the inside are all in the wrong places.

This made me feel so much more normal. Let us know if you get any info on recovery.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
John, thanks for your post. That is one thing I found hard to come to terms with while experiencing dp is the funny sensations & weird feelings that seemed indescribable. It almost felt like if you could put words to them or made sense of them they would be logical & go away.

I was watching an Australian Soapie about an Emergency Department last night & a lady was on there with anxiety & she was saying I have to stay here cause I know this sounds crazy but it feels like all my bits on the inside are all in the wrong places.

This made me feel so much more normal. Let us know if you get any info on recovery.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts