Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the forum because Ive been experiencing the worst panic attacks Ive had in the last 6 years. For some reason I keep getting these snippets of memories in my head but I cant remember if they were from dreams or I just made them up in my head. They feel so real. Its almost like its a form of Deja Vu. If anyone out there can explain whats going on it feels like im going crazy because these memories and images in my head feel real. I would really appreciate anyone who could explain why this is happening. Im scared its temporal lobe seizures or something. Thank you so much to anyone who can get back to me. The scariest part is not knowing where these mental images are coming from. Like are they dreams or things Ive seen in real life that just randomly pop in my head. Is this DP?

·
Administrator
958 Posts
Hi,

First of all it's always a good idea to talk to your doctor and get any tests they recommend just to be on the safe side, but when you are in a panicked state, images, memories and imaginings can flair up and become much more vivid than they would normally be. This is your mind both trying to warn you of possible danger and searching for a solution or explanation. It's a bit like a soldier having flashbacks. Sometimes they are memories, sometimes dreams, sometimes a mixture of the two. It can be very distressing and confusing, but it is all because you are in a highly stressed state at the time.

·
Registered
445 Posts
When I had my breakdown, my mind started generating flashing images, impressions and stuff all day long. It was really wierd and got painful. I believe it is like Phantasm said it is something to do with your mind searching for danger, which is what it does when you feel uncontrolled anxiety but have nothing to 'anchor' it too.. it invents anchors. It sounds to me like a form of racing thoughts which is really common in dp, try not to get too impressed by it, it does pass but it's not overnight. Also in dp the mind churns out random, inappropriate sensations like deja vu, claustrophobia etc etc. which also get generated with no anchor. I used to get claustrophobia when I was outside looking up at the sky, and went through a phase of deja vu all day long

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. I actually went to the doctor and found out I had Mono for the past two weeks. Apparently having a virus like that can alter your brain patterns and produce fever dream type things while awake, but what you guys said has made me feel a whole lot better about everything. I feel some relief thanks to you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I had my breakdown, my mind started generating flashing images, impressions and stuff all day long. It was really wierd and got painful. I believe it is like Phantasm said it is something to do with your mind searching for danger, which is what it does when you feel uncontrolled anxiety but have nothing to 'anchor' it too.. it invents anchors. It sounds to me like a form of racing thoughts which is really common in dp, try not to get too impressed by it, it does pass but it's not overnight. Also in dp the mind churns out random, inappropriate sensations like deja vu, claustrophobia etc etc. which also get generated with no anchor. I used to get claustrophobia when I was outside looking up at the sky, and went through a phase of deja vu all day long
Hey Al_pk, I really appreciated your response yesterday. I was just curious, what do you mean by impressions? I guess for me its like Ill get images in my head that im not sure if I saw in real life, a dream, or my mind made it up. Ive had this happen before but also thought it was withdrawing from a benzo several years ago. So DP causes these feelings and Deja vu moments to happen? Sorry if im repeating myself. Usually if I understand why this is happening to me, im able to calm down. Thanks!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Hey, ok so the impressions... kind of a hard thing to articulate but it felt like I was seeing shapes sort of superimposed on my vision. It was like dream vision being imposed on my real waking vision so I was seeing things that weren't there. So quite similar to yours but a different tangent. It wasnt delusion though as i was very aware these things were 'head generated'. Reallt uncontrollable though. It was sort of a psychotic/depressive symptom that happened when my anxiety was at unbearable levels but it is gone now. And yeah, dpdr really messes with your emotional centre of control so you can get really heightened levels of sensory feedback, and thus near constant feelings of things like deja vu

·
Administrator
958 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys. I actually went to the doctor and found out I had Mono for the past two weeks. Apparently having a virus like that can alter your brain patterns and produce fever dream type things while awake, but what you guys said has made me feel a whole lot better about everything. I feel some relief thanks to you.
That's good you've had a diagnosis. Obviously not great you've got a virus, but good you know what's what, and hope you start feeling better over the next few weeks. I think viruses can trigger these problems for people in an anxious state, because they don't know they have one. Then it's a classic anxiety loop, anxious about feeling anxious, so hope with your knowing the reason you have been feeling the way you have been feeling you will give yourself the time you need to get better and not stress too much.

·
Registered
445 Posts
The way out of the mind is to approach all your symptoms with the attitude of "its all just anxiety", don't put all your beleif and attention onto it as this perpetuates the symptoms. It will settle down given time, your mind is working hard to recover as we speak

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey, ok so the impressions... kind of a hard thing to articulate but it felt like I was seeing shapes sort of superimposed on my vision. It was like dream vision being imposed on my real waking vision so I was seeing things that weren't there. So quite similar to yours but a different tangent. It wasnt delusion though as i was very aware these things were 'head generated'. Reallt uncontrollable though. It was sort of a psychotic/depressive symptom that happened when my anxiety was at unbearable levels but it is gone now. And yeah, dpdr really messes with your emotional centre of control so you can get really heightened levels of sensory feedback, and thus near constant feelings of things like deja vu
Okay that makes sense. It's weird thought because the deja vu is of like a mental image that pops in my head. Not typical deja vu. Its so weird and scary

·
Registered
445 Posts
I fully sympathise with what you're saying it is so scary when your mind begins to act in a way you don't want it too. Keep your positive side active, don't fall down the rabbit hole of thinking there is anything actually wrong (beyond anxiety and the virus), and remember at the very least you have had this symptom before and it went

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I fully sympathise with what you're saying it is so scary when your mind begins to act in a way you don't want it too. Keep your positive side active, don't fall down the rabbit hole of thinking there is anything actually wrong (beyond anxiety and the virus), and remember at the very least you have had this symptom before and it went
Thats a good point Al_pk. I wonder why anxiety and DP can generate random things in your brain and make you experience weird phenomenon. I thought I saw a user post about the neocortex of your brain misfiring or something. Again, thanks for the reply!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts