Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, I was out at my barn (my family owns 5 acres and our horses are right here) and I had an intense DR episode. The last time it was like this was last year. It feels so horrible. I feel so unreal, there isn't even a word for it. I had to go back inside my house, I was trembling and sweating because of it. I always feel better after I go back in my house. If I just stayed out there, would it have gotten better? It just feels so frightening that I feel like I have to leave, so I usually do. Does anyone have experience about actually facing this? Should I just stick it out the next time? If I continued to stay outside, do you think it would have gotten worse or gotten better? Should I try to distract myself from it by thinking about something else?

· Registered
1,141 Posts
Good question.

I am the same way... if it's too scary, I back out. For me it's usually car trips. I wanted to go to some festival thing and like 15 mins into the drive I pleaded with my boyfriend to turn around and go back home, which he did. My DP is at its worst in the car.

Another time we were on our way home from Six Flags... 'bout an hour drive. I couldn't tell him to turn around and go home cuz we were already headed home... I made it to the park ok, but on the way back I was freakin' out. And usually I can contain it...the fear, but sometimes I'm just so weak. And so it just took me over and I screamed at the top of my lungs. Then I started crying. Then I felt better. I guess once you peak the only way to go is down... I was able to make it through the rest of the trip somewhat subdued.

So where was I going with this... if you stayed outside it probably would have gotten worse, but then it would have reached a peak and then it could only get better from there. I think you should try sticking it out. Cuz people become agoraphobic by avoiding things like we do. I am agoraphobic to an extent.

There's more I want to say, but I don't know how to get it out and I think I've said too much already. Someone more intelligent will answer soon I'm sure. Shit, 10 people probably replied while I was writing this post.

Good luck to you.

· Registered
1,197 Posts
What's eating away at everybody is repressed fear and repressed feelings that must be made conscious. Through that ALONE comes healing. Even "not focusing on it" will ultimately fail until the inner stuff gets let out.

The anxiety is our body saying, "Yo! Look, I need to talk to you about how I feel."

And what do we do? We tell our unconscious to shut up.

Oh, if you could know the blessing of letting it all out to a therapist, of discovering and verbalizing deep feelings that you've been running from for years. If you could know the divine healing power in that, you would climb mountains to find even a mediocre therapist in whose presence you can let it out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.