Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read that the title 'psychologist' is not protected here in the states.
That means that really everyone can practice as a psychologist.

I think in Europe the term is protected, meaning that one has to have a special training and a diploma to be allowed to call oneself a psychologist.

Right or wrong?

Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, for the most part, a psychologist needs to be "licensed" or to be called a "clinical psychologist" - the licensing means they are licensed by the state to practice psychotherapy. That is essential.

Clinical Psychologist usually denotes either a Master's in Psych or (more often) a Phd.

I doubt you'd find someone calling themselves a "psychologist" without at least one of those credentials listed above. The word "Therapist' is more deceiving. ANYbody can call themselves a "therapist" - always ask re: education and certification and/or licensing by the state.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.