Depersonalization Support Forum banner

question on ssri's

3K views 15 replies 3 participants last post by  bat 
I dont think there is a whole lot of difference between ssris. They all have the same mechanism which is to block the reuptake of serotonin and allow it to build up in the synapse. Half life and potency are probably the biggest differences. From what Ive read Paxil and zoloft have the most potent reuptake inhibiting ability and they seem to work the best for panic and anxiety. Unfortunately being they are the most potent they seem to have the meanest discontinuation syndrome. Celexa/lexapro are a bit weaker but are more "selective" and theoretically have fewer side effects. Prozac is the weakest reuptake inhibitor but it has a very long half life so its easier to withdraw from...sort of a built in taper.

Joe

They call it the activation period. Its always tough for the first couple of weeks. Depending on you dosage, It takes up to 2 weeks to just hit steady state in your blood before the drug is really getting a chance to REALLY work. I truly believe tho, that those people whose serotonin is the lowest and who really do need these drugs, probably have the hardest time getting on them. I dont think Id switch the drug. Prozac is weak. Zoloft is a very potent reuptake inhibitor and is a very good drug for anxiety/panic and depression. If you stick it out eventually you may be very glad you did. A benzo every few days during the intial rough time shouldnt hurt you, but when you start to feel that warm relaxed fuzzy feeling come over you from the boosted serotonin, Id quit the benzos. Benzos are cns depressants and in the long run they drop serotonin levels so they only aggravate anxiety and depressive disorders.

Joe

Hey,

Yep. That certainly has been my experience. Alot of our "experts" feel this is a product of very low serotonin transmission. Alot of new activity occurs in the brain as the levels rise and it can make you feel like "shit" till your brain adjusts.

Joe

How much zoloft are you on? Is this the only ssri youve tried? A certain amount of people need a potentiating drug to help boost the effects of the ssri. It also helps cancel out some of the side effects.

Joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.