Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m just curious if everyone here who has experienced dp/dr also experienced existential thinking, existentialism, existential anxiety/depression? Call it what you will. I’m curious on the relationship between the two. This is one thing that tends to hold a lot of people back.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I've noticed the same, and it puzzles me as my DR symptoms never led to an existential crisis.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe the reason it let us to it was because in the heightened state we was in we was already terrified and the feeling of unreality made us think about existence. I mean it makes sense. It’s no different than if we felt we was on fire we would have thought about fire and the thoughts would seem real because it’s what we are feeling. Our brain would be trying to justify why we feel we are on fire. I think the existential thoughts lingers cause deep down we still feel unreal etc. so the thoughts still have power over us. Before I loved philosophy, I loved looking up at the stars, enjoying views of nature. I didn’t question it but that was because my mind was healthy. I wasn’t feeling unreal etc. anxiety took hold of it and ran. I believe this is why we are stuck in this existential crisis. If we could go months without thinking too much about all this I think we would forget about it and realize we was just in a weird place. I can back that up because this is my third time dealing with dp/dr. Thing is it’s a little tougher this time. The second time I had some existential thinking a lot of it was the same as this time and once I heard I went on to go 6 years without any of it. I could literally look back and laugh at my thoughts from the past. I realized it was anxiety. When you are in the middle of it it is so hard to realize it. This go around instead of just moving on with life and ignoring it I chose to read hrs and hrs on this site. Which let me to pick up thinking habits of other ppl causing me to think like them and boom I was in a existential crisis. That just tells me it’s anxiety. Because if I wasn’t feeling so/dr I would not have let any of the other ppls thoughts attach to me nor would I have obsessed about it. if I never read their problems I would have never latched to them.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I've been in existential crisis mode since April-May 2018. It causes me less agony than it did, but the thoughts are still pretty much going strong after a year. I also think your analysis is right. There's no way any of this shit would bother me when I'm well but theres just something about the brain in DP it can't cope

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think for me it was the second time I fell into dp I stumbled upon solipsism and that threw me off the last time and this time it was the foundation. Which is actually pretty dumb But when you feel like everything is fake andything dealing with existence is a big issue. If you don’t know what solipsism is don’t look it up cause it will make things worse for you.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@where I to have anxiety traits. I had that since a kid. And slowly turned into panic which I eventually got under control but not generalized anxiety. The past two times I went into a DP/DR cycle it was brought on by anxiety from panic attack. This time it happened after being on antibiotics for weeks. Which there is a lot of research showing that the brain and gut connection is real. So I went and got treated for candida thinking that may help. I took antifungal medication for 7 days and stayed on a candida diet for two weeks along with taking probiotics and fish oil. I’m not sure if it helped because I was also working out and making myself take time to relax song with it but It definitely lessened the physical symptoms. When I got off the diet and started eating crappy again I noticed I started having more ocd kind of thoughts so I’m about to try the candida diet once again and see how it goes. It’s said that anxiety, depression even schizo is side effects of inflammation not a condition on its own. A lot of doctors are treating mental health by fixing ppls gut biome. Makes sense though. If you eat trash everyday it eventually effects you physically...high blood pressure, choelestrol problems, diabetes, stroke, heart attack etc.....for sure it has to play and effect on your mental health game. Even my friend who is a doctor and my general doctor says the same thing that there is a connection between brain and gut health. I think it’s really important for anyone wanting to get better physically and mentally to clean up their diet, start exercising..more cardio exercises than anything...definitely cut out any stimulants, make sure to get at least 8 hrs of sleep and actually sleep when it’s time and get up when it’s time meaning asleep by 10pm/11 and up at 6 if in bed by 10 because sleeping too much or under sleeping does make things worse and so does sleeping in too late. On top of that once a day vitamins, fish oil for inflammation and probiotics. They have probiotics that helps with mood. They are designed to help anxiety and depression. I have some but when I started feeling better I stopped them. I look at the body now like I do a car. If you put bad gas, oil, transmission fluid in your vehicle it will run like crap. You have to be doing things to improve your overal health if you want mental health to follow.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@Al_pk I relate because that’s still my problem but I’m sorting it out very slowly. I am understanding more and more that dp/dr traumatizes a person...mix that with high anxiety and your brain starts to try to make sense of what’s going on by creating thoughts or if your like me reading other ppls stories and clinging to their thoughts. Those thoughts are reviewed over and over basically reinforcing them so thoughts that normally would be over looked if the brain was healthy now are so important to us. Even when dp is gone the trauma from the dp experience is enough to keep these thoughts with us. Journaling was one of the biggest things that helped me which I only did maybe twice but those two times turned things around for me. I guess it was putting things on paper and understanding what brought dp on for me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I keep having this issue. Not as intense as before. At the beginning when I first had panic attacks, I start having weird existential thoughts. I keep asking why do we exist, why do we walk, think, etc I was looking at people and I would get confused. I used to have also thoughts about what is after life, these thoughts i wouldnt have before. I mean they wouldnt be so intense.
I am trying to not think about it, I find it gets less intense with time and acceptance of reality.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea it’s just one of those things that dp patches onto because dp makes us feel unreal like we don’t exist and instead of accepting it’s anxiety we fuel it with fear and our minds go straight to thinking. And it makes sense that we would get hung up on thoughts about existence because we feel like we don’t exist. It’s all anxiety. It’s just hard to accept that. If our minds were healthy and we were like we were before dp these thoughts wouldn’t matter to us. We would just dismiss them but dp makes you question everything. It’s like suddenly nothing makes sense like we just landed on this planet and have to relearn everything. It’s very hard but I recovered twice before so I know it’s possible.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Ive had these thoughts the moment my dp began, maybe they even caused it. Idk, either way ive just gotten to a point where i dont think anything really has a point and im just trying to give my life and other peoples lives meaning since we're all just here i guess.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I feel existential terror is also in my top 3 worst symptoms. The thoughts return to me on a daily base and it feels compulsivly. I usually ignore it, but they still seem to return, maybe because I can't seem to find an answer to these questions.

BUT I did find out that whenever I take a stimulant (like Adderal/Ritalin) I feel energy flowing through my body, giving me the illusion i'm not so hollow and in turn this reduces the existential thinking. I feel more grounded on Ritalin, not as much in my head.

Going for CBT to get a better grip on the thoughts.

But in short: Yes, A LOT of existential thinking since dp/dr. Also before but it wasn't paired with anxiety so it was different, i thought about existential question with an open view, not a view filled with anxiety.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Existential thoughts definitely take a different shape when in dp/dr because dp/dr makes you feel unreal and when you feel unreal you question the world around you. CBT I’m sure will help. Definitely keep us updated if it helps you.

·
Registered
178 Posts
In the beginning of my dp/dr I got panicked when I "realized" that I exist. Like I got freaked out and it felt just uncomfortable being human. Can anyone relate?

·
Registered
139 Posts
In the beginning of my dp/dr I got panicked when I "realized" that I exist. Like I got freaked out and it felt just uncomfortable being human. Can anyone relate?
Yeah i do. I STILL feel uncomfortable being human. Just strait up realizing im a living creature or that life exists at all is strange.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts