Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
That's just me though, it may work for you. Zoloft is sooooo good for anxiety but my dp and intrusive thoughts where crazyyyyyy. I am on it now but only 25mg as 100mg spaced me out 24/7

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's just me though, it may work for you. Zoloft is sooooo good for anxiety but my dp and intrusive thoughts where crazyyyyyy. I am on it now but only 25mg as 100mg spaced me out 24/7
Thank you! My thing is I don't really have intrusive thoughts or existentialism just DR mostly I think.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't listen to medical professionals. Do what the people on this board recommend.
What do you suggest I do? I'm 21 and I already feel like my life is over. That I'll never get me back. There has got to be a solution to this "disorder" or whatever the he'll it is. I try to stay so positive but I've come to a head with this crap and I'm tired of it. I just want answers and no one can seem to give me any. On one end I hope it's something phisical I'm having blood work done tomorrow to check for everything. My Nurse practitioner is making sure we cross all Ts and dot all i's. I just need out of this maddening state. I'm so angry that no one knows what this is, im so angry that medical professionals ignore us, im so angry that no matter what I do I can't get rid of this. I'm just defeated. *sighs* sorry for ranting I'm just so frustrated recently. If I was rich I would donate all my money into DP and mental health in general.

·
Registered
67 Posts
You'll never know unless you try! I take 50mg of zoloft and it helps me enough to manage my anxiety and live my life pretty well. It hasn't improved or worsened the dpdr situation, but has lowered my anxiety so I am not anxious and panicked about dpdr all the time.

And you don't have to take medication to overcome this, many people have gotten past dpdr with no medication. But for me, I was so depressed and anxious, especially surrounding the dpdr, that I wasn't leaving the house or living my life. After trying to heal without meds, I finally decided just to try some, as a kind of 'last resort,' and they have really helped me. Like six months ago I was basically living on my couch, now I go to school and go out and can enjoy myself. Again, it's tough to cure this with meds, but maybe they will help you feel better in other ways.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
67 Posts
For me the side effects weren't to bad, I just felt a bit nauseous and dizzy for a week or two, with a slight increase in anxiety and dpdr. Again, it hasn't helped the dpdr, but for me the biggest thing holding me back from living my life was the extreme anxiety and depression that I was feeling about dpdr and other things. The Zoloft has helped me manage the anxiety and depression enough that the dpdr doesn't bother me so much and I can go to school, etc. Before going on Zoloft I did try many natural remedies (I had dpdr for about a year before I started taking Zoloft). I suggest trying some natural remedies to manage any anxiety/depression/brain fog/other stuff you are experiencing and see if anything helps. There are so many remedies that have been proven to help mental health issues and they can be great. And if nothing seems to be working for you, you can try meds. Good luck!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I am on Zoloft. It is a miracle for anxiety but made me extremely depressed and my depersonalization went 10 x worst. But for me it's not about getting rid of the depersonalization, it's about curing the anxiety. Zoloft makes me feel very spaced out & numb, but it's what I need for the anxiety.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Nickcb96,

I'm not a mental health professional. My opinion is that DP is a broad/general description of a host of lesser psychiatric symptoms that don't amount to a diagnosis of clinical depression, manic depression, or more recognized psychotic illnesses.

I know you are suffering, but DP is not the worse malady out there. If you spend time in a busy neurologist's waiting room, you might recognize that fact. Zoloft is an SSRI that addresses a broad/general group of psychiatric symptoms. It is doubtful that

it will cure your DP, but it may make it more manageable and less disabling. You may find your symptoms to be somewhat transient. In time, your symptoms may lesson and your adaptation will improve to the point you find you are no longer distracted

by symptoms. I developed DP/DR and a major depressive disorder in 1971. I was 17, and like you I did not believe I could live with my symptoms. I got no help from the medical community. I began SSRI therapy in 1992. It helped, but it was not the answer.

I never stopped researching to discover the true reason I became mentally ill at 17. Unlike most who suffer this disorder, I did solve the riddle of my life. My illness began with a severe cannabis intoxication that triggered a sequence of epileptic seizures with

epileptic discharges. The seizures were severe enough such that my post ictal psychosis segued into the affective disorder of major depression, which reoccurred approximately every decade for over 40 years. I also got a permanent mild head tremor, dp/dr,

vestibular dysfunction, and a host of other psychiatric symptoms from my trauma. A British neurological journal described a case history very similar tomy own as a worse case scenario. If I had killed myself at age 17, I could forgive myself. Life was not

easy or particularly happy for me. But, I did persevere. I had ECT in 2013 and my life is very much worth living today at age 62. Nothing has changed much in mental health, in 40+ years. The brain continues to be an enigma. for health professionals.

Take what help they can give you, and do your own research. When I finally recognized my symptoms as epileptic in nature, I demanded an EEG and MRI. My EEG showed significant pathology in one of the leads. I identified that lead as the lead to

my left/dominant temporal lobe. The neurologist looked at me incredulously. How would I know that? Well, in 40+ years I had done a lot of homework.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts