Depersonalization Support Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Recently someone I know started talking about predetermined universe and how we don't actually have free will and it's freaked me out. I'm trying not to think about it too much, but I'm scared it's true. If it's true what's the point to anything? Anyone else been through this? Advice on how to deal with it?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Distraction distraction distraction
Distraction doesn't help. The problem is still here. This is worse than dissociating. Realising and feeling like I have no free will. Everything we do is based on our experiences and there's no choice. I'm really frightened.

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
Recently someone I know started talking about predetermined universe and how we don't actually have free will and it's freaked me out. I'm trying not to think about it too much, but I'm scared it's true. If it's true what's the point to anything? Anyone else been through this? Advice on how to deal with it?
I do not really know much about quantum mechanics (yet), but as far as I understand this physical theory, which seems to match quite well with many observations, proposes that the inner workings of the universe are partly govenered by randomness. Even if you know all starting conditions for a system you cannot exactly predict it's state in the future, but only with a certain probability. This might suggest that the universe is not deterministic and therefore the brain might not be, too. However I must admit that I do not really know much about this, but I suppose that the question if we have a free will has not been answered yet.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Distraction distraction distraction
Pretty much this. You have to get yourself into a state of mind where you're not worrying about these kinds of things, like before you got dp/dr. It's tricky, but it can be done. Just keep distracting yourself and get yourself into the flow of life once again.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pretty much this. You have to get yourself into a state of mind where you're not worrying about these kinds of things, like before you got dp/dr. It's tricky, but it can be done. Just keep distracting yourself and get yourself into the flow of life once again.
This isn't a "I'm scared the universe isn't real" thing though, I feel like this is worse cause I can see valid points for us not having free will. In which case we're ust following a script based on out past experiences and out actions and thought can be determined because of them.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Doesn't really matter in a human sense. However, there's a lot of evidence that it's wrong. Quantum physics put a dent in determinism. It can't be proven or disproven at the end of the day IMO so it's best not to worry about it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Doesn't really matter in a human sense. However, there's a lot of evidence that it's wrong. Quantum physics put a dent in determinism. It can't be proven or disproven at the end of the day IMO so it's best not to worry about it.
Thanks. I guess it's my so much about determinism, I don't really believe that. It's more about being scared we don't actually have free will, that we're basically like robots.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I ponder over this sometimes. Nothing to be scared of, because you can't answer it. What I would say is that if there is free will it is very very limited, which can be scary. We are conditioned by events, family and society, none of which we choose. We are then fed the lie that we can escape our conditioning, which we can't. What's happening to you is an illustration of that. You have thoughts that come up through conditioning. You then have the conditioned belief that these thoughts are a problem. They aren't really. Sometimes with this sort of thing it may help to consciously decide to think these thoughts. Think them through to the end. Only then will you see and believe that nothing bad happens as a result. The only problem is you think it is a problem

·
Registered
344 Posts
Thanks. I guess it's my so much about determinism, I don't really believe that. It's more about being scared we don't actually have free will, that we're basically like robots.
Yeah I know what you mean.

This really only becomes a problem if it seeps into our legal system.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ponder over this sometimes. Nothing to be scared of, because you can't answer it. What I would say is that if there is free will it is very very limited, which can be scary. We are conditioned by events, family and society, none of which we choose. We are then fed the lie that we can escape our conditioning, which we can't. What's happening to you is an illustration of that. You have thoughts that come up through conditioning. You then have the conditioned belief that these thoughts are a problem. They aren't really. Sometimes with this sort of thing it may help to consciously decide to think these thoughts. Think them through to the end. Only then will you see and believe that nothing bad happens as a result. The only problem is you think it is a problem
Maybe it's nothing for you to be scared of, but I'm very scared of the fact that we're all just living our lives according to an unwritten script. Our decisions would mean nothing and no one would be held responsible or accountable for their actions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts