Depersonalization Support Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hello,

I joined this community back in 2011 when I was suffering form DP brought on by anxiety and trauma after the death of my boyfriend. By 2013 my DP was gone (it went away on its own, with time and me taking care of myself, although it would pop up when I hadn't slept well.)

I gave birth this year (June 15th) and started suffering from depression and anxiety (or so it seemed) but I ended up in a psychiatric hospital with psychosis-like symptoms (mostly weird thoughts about the universe telling me of my impending suicide and moments of intense DP). I thought I was just exhausted because I had trouble sleeping even when my daughter was sleeping, but apparently it was more than that...

I was put on the antipsychotics Seroquel (currently 150 mg) and Abilify (5 mg), as well as the tetracyclic antidepressant mianserin (30 mg) for sleep and clonazepam as needed for anxiety. It has now been 3 months since I was hospitalized. I'm still suffering from depressive symptoms (am seeing my psychiatrist today to address those) as well as near-constant DP only this time it's somehow less intense but deeper if that makes sense. Last time I had DP I was able to go to school and work, while this time I can't imagine doing any of that. I can barely function, let alone look after my baby girl (so my partner and mom have taken over most of her care). I realize this may be part of healing from psychosis but I was wondering if perhaps the DP this time could have something to do with taking antipsychotic meds? I have a huge hope that I will feel better when the dose is lowered/ I come off the meds completely but on the other hand I"m afraid that won't be the case and I will still feel this way.

I'm also wondering if there's a connection between DP and depression? I feel like I'm escaping from the depression into the DP.

I'm sad to be back on this board because I thought I was free of DP but at the same time I am so happy this place exists..

·
Administrator
944 Posts
Hi

I'm sorry to hear what you've been going through. It's understandable you suffered DP the first time after losing someone close to you, and having a baby is a huge life change with the physical and emotional strain involved. I think DP and depression can often be part of the same thing. I read once that depression can be like the exhaustion that follows periods of stress. Like a rush followed by a low. It's good you're working with your psych to keep assessing your meds and figuring out what is right for you. Some combinations will work well while others might make you feel more detached, so it's a matter of finding the right balance. It could be what you are going through is partly from the physical and chemical changes in recovering from having a baby, as well as other anxieties it might have brought up, so it might be a combination of things. I hope your doctor will help you work it out, and that in the mean time you try to eat well and look after yourself as best you can.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Resonantblue,

After reading your post, I may want to give you some advice based on my knowledge on depersonalisation/experiences and I'm also not giving you a diagnosis.

From what I read, it seems like you have severe ocd, you stated that you had unusual thoughts about the universe etc etc, those thoughts are directly linked with depersonalisation/ocd which is directly linked with your anxiety.

And congratulations!! I hope the little one is all healthy and well.
You should avoid stress at all costs, I guess you're still a bit shaken from the loss of your boyfriend, you may feel like you're over it but you're not and I don't if you ever will be, but you can always accept it, it's life we all die.

Try eating more healthy, stay away from cigarettes/caffeine as these will increase levels of anxiety.

Distract yourself, distraction can be a very useful technique but don't use it to heal use it to give your mind a rest from all the excessive chatter.

Reduce the time you spend on here, coming too much is not a good idea, if you spend hours like I did when I first got dp you will become addicted to this site and it will become a habit, come here when you need hope, get the useful information you need and leave.

Hope, remember in life things will hit us hard whether we like it or not some get ill psychically some mentally, you're in the second category. The brain heals, it really does it takes time and patience to get out of this. You stated that you recovered once I promise you will again.

Supplements, you should take 5-HTP, Magnesium, Zinc, Vitamian B, Vitamin C, these will reduce your anxiety and increase serotonin in your brain.

Take care, I really hope you recover and remember you got this don't let it get to you, now go fight the battle you warrior!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts