Depersonalization Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys i need your thoughts on this.

I got derealization in childhood due to my parents dicorve and the family situation back then.

It wasnt that big of a deal until 2 years ago when i had a mental breakdown with extreme anxiety/panic and ever since its been really fucking bad. I feel totally out of it.

Over the past 2 years ive tried a fuckton of meds, been to traumatherapists(still seeing one), was in a mental hospital for schematherapy plus all kinds of bodily checks etc.

From my story its quite obvious that my derelization has its origin in trauma/stress however i still have this voice in my head saying "what if theres some other physical cause you missed".

We all know dpdr CAN be caused by physical issues such as food intolerances, inenr ear issues, spinal issues etc.

I recently stumbled over COPPER TOXICITY which sounded quite convincing and now im thinking about wether i might have that.

Heres the thing with all these physical issues tho:

IM HARDLY EVER SICK. Just had a mild flu for 3 days, the first one in literally 5 years or so, im not kidding. I dont have fatigue or any real health issues. I lift weights 5 times a week as well.

By most standards im EXTREMELY HEALTHY physically.

I did have a lot of ilness in childhood around the same time my parents divorced, which probably added to the stress. Perhaps thats why my immune system is so strong now.

Under these circumstances, is it even possible for there to be any physical cause of my derealization? Wouldnt i also have physical problems that go along with this.

I just need some peace of mind without these nagging doubts in my head.

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
631 Posts
First of all, I have to ask, how do you know that your derealization was caused by stress from your parents' divorce?

But to get to your main question, you don't have any other symptoms at all except derealizatIon? No issues with fatigue, insomnia, headaches, muscle weakness or twitiching, sensitivity in your senses, cognitive problems?

I've never understood how emotional trauma could result in such a strange and seemingly permanent physical state, but people know themselves better than I do.

Is there any reason you think you might be experiencing copper toxicity?

·
Registered
343 Posts
I've never understood how emotional trauma could result in such a strange and seemingly permanent physical state, but people know themselves better than I do.
Same here. I'd understand if it was transient (the defence mechanism hypothesis makes some sense), but how does a temporary life event cause such profound and permanent impairment? Us humans really are frail creatures if we can be permanently damaged like that as a result of just one adverse life event.

Makes no sense to me.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First of all, I have to ask, how do you know that your derealization was caused by stress from your parents' divorce?

But to get to your main question, you don't have any other symptoms at all except derealizatIon? No issues with fatigue, insomnia, headaches, muscle weakness or twitiching, sensitivity in your senses, cognitive problems?

Is there any reason you think you might be experiencing copper toxicity?
It was just fairly obvious, the divorce was very stressfull to me and i had a sort of child depression kinda thing, felt very sad. It wasnt just the divorce but the constant weekly switching off homes (from mom to dad etc.) over the next 10 xyears or so. And my parents hate each other so i never had a real home. Imo a perfect environment for derealization. It came gradually around age 7-9. Ofc i cant prove that thats the cause but its just really obvious.

I have a tendency to anxiety, and yeah sensitivity to lights but i guess thats to be expected. Ive been having some muscle twitching in my pelvic area over the last year or so. Not entirely sure why, i think its stress related. Certain snri make it worse.

But other than that, no. I sleep like a baby, i dont have any fatigue(except after an intense episode maybe). Nocognitive problems exccept for being a bit all over the place but i mean that comes with this state of mind.

Nothing really physical.

I checked for the classic symptoms of copper toxicity(mostly the psychological ones) but overall i dont fit the picture.

But then you have all these nutritional balancing people talking about how illusive it can be and how we all suffer from it and blabla. etc. ugh...

·
Registered
631 Posts
It was just fairly obvious, the divorce was very stressfull to me and i had a sort of child depression kinda thing, felt very sad. It wasnt just the divorce but the constant weekly switching off homes (from mom to dad etc.) over the next 10 xyears or so. And my parents hate each other so i never had a real home. Imo a perfect environment for derealization. It came gradually around age 7-9. Ofc i cant prove that thats the cause but its just really obvious.

I have a tendency to anxiety, and yeah sensitivity to lights but i guess thats to be expected. Ive been having some muscle twitching in my pelvic area over the last year or so. Not entirely sure why, i think its stress related. Certain snri make it worse.

But other than that, no. I sleep like a baby, i dont have any fatigue(except after an intense episode maybe). Nocognitive problems exccept for being a bit all over the place but i mean that comes with this state of mind.

Nothing really physical.

I checked for the classic symptoms of copper toxicity(mostly the psychological ones) but overall i dont fit the picture.

But then you have all these nutritional balancing people talking about how illusive it can be and how we all suffer from it and blabla. etc. ugh...
If it's so obvious, why are you looking into copper toxicity? Do your symptoms wax and wane based on stress or family situations? Or do more natural things like weather patterns seem to have more of an effect on how you feel?

I understand the nutritional balancing people out there, everyone is apparently an expert. But if I listened to them, I'd just assume that gluten was the source of all my problems.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If it's so obvious, why are you looking into copper toxicity? Do your symptoms wax and wane based on stress or family situations? Or do more natural things like weather patterns seem to have more of an effect on how you feel?

I understand the nutritional balancing people out there, everyone is apparently an expert. But if I listened to them, I'd just assume that gluten was the source of all my problems.
Ive spent the last 2 years working on the trauma stuff myself as well as with 3 different types of therapy.Been seeing someone for emdr for a year now.

The thing is, i dont really get anywhere by digging in my past as there doesnt seem to be a lot to process, thats the conclusion my therapist and i came to. DR is perhaps more of a learned response that has become my default mode...

So thats why im still looking for alternative solutions. Yeah stress makes it worse. The more relaxed and safe i feel, the less intense the dr. Fairly straight forward. Weather doesnt really have an effect.

XD yeah...the whole thing seems pretty unscientific to me but then there are these people who did get great results so i dont know...just confused and frustrated

·
Registered
631 Posts
Ive spent the last 2 years working on the trauma stuff myself as well as with 3 different types of therapy.Been seeing someone for emdr for a year now.
The thing is, i dont really get anywhere by digging in my past as there doesnt seem to be a lot to process, thats the conclusion my therapist and i came to. DR is perhaps more of a learned response that has become my default mode...

So thats why im still looking for alternative solutions. Yeah stress makes it worse. The more relaxed and safe i feel, the less intense the dr. Fairly straight forward. Weather doesnt really have an effect.

XD yeah...the whole thing seems pretty unscientific to me but then there are these people who did get great results so i dont know...just confused and frustrated
Yeah. I don't know what specific types of therapy you've been doing, but I'm aware that, as far as evidence goes, the whole "exploring your past to process emotions" technique doesn't seem to be effective for any problem. EMDR has found some success with PTSD, though not really sure how that is supposed to work.

I understand the desire to try whatever. Hell I've tried pretty much everything myself. The thing is, even if it were that your condition has a "psychological" cause, that doesn't mean the solution must be psychological. It might not hurt to explore some dietary changes or detox methods or whatever, but I wouldn't get too hung up on Copper toxicity unless there is a test that demonstrates you have that issue.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Actually, there is quite a lot of illness that lifting weights will not cure. I'm 6'1", and I did squats and lunges until I could dunk a basketball on a 10' rim. (in my early 20s). Unfortunately, I continued to have ocular migraines, focal temporal lobe seizures, and episodes of major depression.

But, the squats and lunges did wonders for my racquetball game as well. I actually won 2 large tournaments while playing in the toughest (open) division. My illness began with a traumatic event at age 17. It followed me into the military, around the world, through job changes

and relationships, through dietary changes, through periods of moderate alcohol consumption, to periods of abstinence, through periods of heavy exercise, and through periods in which I couldn't break a sweat for months. Through periods of sleeping well, and through periods of horrible

insomnia. I wondered about B vitamin deficiency, arsenic poisoning, Lyme disease, and ALL those other potential causes of systemic illness.

Then I had an EEG. The EEG showed my symptoms were the result of an epileptic syndrome. The EEG was cheap. It was painless. It explained the migraines and the depression as well.

The EEG will tell you whether you belong to psychiatry, or neurology. Life is physical. All illness is physical. Symptoms can be psychological, but every thought, emotion, or feeling is the result of

electrochemical activity of the brain. At the lowest level, it is all physical. Stress causes physical adaptation. Stress can turn genes on and off. Genes make proteins which facilitate physical functions. Therefore, psychological factors

can cause physical reactions in the body.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts