Depersonalization Support Forum banner

Please Take The NODID Survey!

8349 Views 54 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  Claymore
NODID said:
50 Case Numbers Distributed
11 participants completed the test.
Our goal is 200.
Dear Folks,
I am stunned by this. Any bit of research that goes into DP leads us one step further to understanding how to treat this.

Many complain that there is no research going on when Mt. Sinai is on the cutting edge of DP research and has been for years.

I beg of you. The test is 100% anonymous. It takes 40 minutes max to fill out. It is distracting!

Please take the test... if not for this ol' Dreamer geezer, than for all the young folks who haven't yet found this board, for anyone who suffers from this.

No one put me up to this. Seriously. This is so important.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts
I usually take the requests but I would like to make one.
Please take this survey again. This is not some simple internet survey. THIS is part of DP/DR HISTORY. Let's try and get rid of it.

Take a look at that. The real deal is here people. Let's do this.
See less See more
I cant take the survey, I tried a couple of times, even backwards lol...then in the middle of doing it my comp freezes. Will try again sometime later, but I fear the worst :roll:
just retook the test. Is retook even a word??? lol, ah hell... I'm too damn tired to care... sleepy time!
Took the survey. I encourage more people to take it. It seems pretty good. Later.
I took it. Afterward, I noticed that it said "drug induced disorders" but I've had memory of this disorder since I was 6 years old, and I have never used any drugs recreationally. Nor have I used recreational drugs. Sooo... What then induced my DP?
My DP/DR is also not drug induced, but took the survey anyhow.
Non drug-induced DPers are needed as controls for this study. Everyone should participate regardless.

I'm also non drug-induced and took the survey.

Non-drug induced DP individuals are not simply a control, but are contrast. This is important as the contrast goes both ways. We learn about both groups, the same analysis/comparisons. You will get the data from both groups.

It is a good idea for everyone to take part, so when the data is public you can see the relationships in all groups.

All my best!

Current Count 79 participants.

Please, if you can PM your friends on the board or contact others with DP/DR symptoms you should send them to the study link. PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THE SURVEY TWICE! This will only do a disservice to our data. However, please encourage as many individuals that you can to take this study. Our first goal is 200, but 500 would be a very strong number and I believe we can reach that goal.

Dr. Simeon is pleased with the response rate so far, actually her last e-mail regarding the response rate simply read: "Fantastic!"

However, please take the time to take the test. I can not give any preliminary results, however interesting data already is beginning to form. However, in order to make data significant, you have to show statistically that the data you have is not just caused by random chance, but instead by a "statistically significant" chance that it was caused from a real pattern/relationship/etc. For example, if we have 10 people toss a coin and 7 of them get the Front side, there are mathematical calculations to determine how likely it is that this result could happen at random. With only 10 toin tosses, having 7 be heads (which is 70%) would NOT be statistically significant. However, if we had 10,000 people toss coins, and 6,000 of them had them land on the Front side, we would have 60% of coin tosses being Front and 40% being Back. BECAUSE the data set is so large (10,000 tosses), this is now EXTREMELY significant. One would expect a 50/50 ratio, however with so many tosses the "odds" of having 60% of them being the Front side is considered VERY significant.

Essentially, a value is assigned called a "p" value, which is generally expressed in the terms: p = x, where x is the chance that this result would happen at random. So, if you calculate your data and receive a p = .95, then there would be a 95% chance that the hypothesis you were testing could have happened randomly. However, if your p = .002 then there would only be a .2% chance that this result could have happened at random. The P value is strongly affected by the NUMBER of DATA points that you have. Tossing a coin twice and having it turn up on the same side in a row is not signiciant, but toss the coin 100 times and have it turn up on the same side -- now you have some significant.

I do not want to go in to more detail about the statistical analysis of data, but just want to say that the more data the easier it is for us to draw conclusions that we can express as being signicant and not random. In this case, if 90% of 3 individuals said that Gabapentin improved their symptoms we could not publish this data and say that it is significant. However, if we haad 500 participants and 400 said that Gabapentin improved their symptoms, then we could use this to form an argument that we should study Gabapentin (generic for Neurontin) as an treatment for DP/DR. We use this data to get funding for a study on the treatment of DP/Dr with Gabapentin (and also similarly related anti-convulsant drugs).

Because this is an internet survey, we are going to be scruitinzed even more for our data because we do not have a way to validate if you are lying or not. However, the expected "noise" created by individials just taking the test and selecting random answers is reduced by the amount of individuals taking the test. Also, it helps when you write a detailed story on the last question, as this demonstrates to us that your data is real and that the information contained in our database is a real person who is affected by DP/DR.

My apologies for rambling and poor grammar, however I must get to work before I am late.


See less See more
84 Participants.

Great work, let us try to get 100 before one day passes. For those of you who have have been waiting to take it, here is your chance to help push us past the first major milestone!

- David
99 Participants so far, we are very pleased. Consider taking the time to take this survey and help us break into the 100+ mark!

Much thanks to everyone who has participated so far! Your results will be invaluable, and we very much look forward to presenting all of our findings and anticipate great data!

- David
Just curious if we could have an update on how many people took the survey? I hope you met your goal!
I echo David... Thanks guys for taking the survey. I am sure we are all eagerly awaiting the results. :)
*Alex said:
I just did it. Are we at 100 yet?
Well over. Last number I was given was 110 on October 9th.
Cool, thanks rev..... lets try for 200 now. Shouldnt be too hard with 1349 members. If you havnt done it yet, it takes like 30 min, less if not drug induced. Have a crack at it, might help us someday.
We have 142 participants. We are unable to give details on the survey results so far, but we wanted to let you know that we will have statiticians at Mount Sinai School of Medicine and Dr. Simeon directing the majority of the data analysis. We would like 300 total participants by mid-december, which would be the end of the school semester, which will allow for dedicated time for data analysis.

All my best,

153 Participants.

We are moving along nicely towards our goal. I know that I am looking forward to explaining the results and methods of our study when we are complete. Afterwards,

All my best,



We are two thirds towards our goal. This is very exciting!


Our team.
21 - 40 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.