Depersonalization Support Forum banner

Please Help

3K views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  dreamcatcher 
#1 ·
I have recently discovered dp, and I feel that I might have it. I have been diagnosed w/ anxiety and depression, and have taken effexor xr for it. The effexor has help greatly with the depression, but I still get feelings of anxiety. I recently stopped taking the effexor, and was ok for awhile, but about a week ago I started to have severe anxiety again. Now I feel like i don't know who I am. I know I am Shane, but I constantly think that I just dont know who i am. Like I'm a stranger on this earth. When I am on effexor, I only have these feelings once in awhile. And they are usually gone withing a short time. Do you think this is anxiety related, and its in my head? Please, I'm suffering so bad.

#2 ·
they say that dp is one of the many symptoms from anxiety....it sounds like you could do with going back on the meds if they were helping with your anxiety.......and i think all of us hear can relate to how you feel its like been a little lost soul in a really bizzare place.....welcome to the forum.....we all try to help one another so your in the right place

#3 ·
I just feel so horrible. I don't know if i am just making myself believe I have dp or if i really do. I remember a feeling of panic wash over me when I was watching a movie about two weeks ago, and I think that is when it might have started. Can it just start like that? I really hope this all goes away once my meds kick back in. I just need someone to talk to.

G
#4 ·
I find the best thing to cope with being lost is to find where you are. Use your cognitive ability to attach yourself to your world and you'll find yourself feeling once again part of it. You'll feel like a black man in china but really.. it doesn't mean that you're still not there.

just because your not like anyone else doesn't mean you cant be a part of what they're doing. pbbt.

eDfGr33n
"ferrets."

#5 ·
Shane,

The fact that you "feel" like you don't know who you are doesn't mean you don't know who you are. Though it's identity and therefore SELF related, the fact that you didn't experience such thoughts so reocurringly on the Effexor says something... It's obsessive thoughts, and therefore probably a byproduct of the anxiety.

Wait, not probably, it is.

Hope you're ok. I obsessed over the "don't know who I am" for a long period of time at one point. It's not productive, it's confusing, and it sucks.

#6 ·
I think once the obsessive thoughts go away, the dp will too. Its so hard not to think about it. But I thought I had dp even before the obsessive thoughts came in. I think that the episode I had the other sunday triggered the dp disorder. what do you think? do you think it was just waiting to come out? and thats why I had feelings of it while on effexor? I dont feel out of my body, or anything, just that i dont know who i am. i mean i know, but its..blahh.

#9 ·
this is horrible. i want to be back to who i was. but the meds are helping in a way. i think i'll be ok once the full effect happens. i will beat this. i have to. i cant have dp. i have other things like depression and anxiety too, so the dp is probably a result of that.

#11 ·
the fact that you are obsessing over whether you have dp/dr or not is not helping...you feel how you feel...you do not need a label...but obviously if you can call your feelings by a name then it can help recovery...

you are not going insane...

i think a lot of people think they are with these feelings but it is the thinking about it that makes things worse...

i try and stop thinking about the dp/dr by doing something...anything....either way i am going to feel like shit...

dp and dr seem to be very common symptoms of anxiety and depression...it is just not as common to have it as just a condition on its own...

if you ever want to talk i am on msn if you want to add me if you have it...

G
#12 ·
Shane you'll be fine. Honestly. At the very least, take comfort in the fact that there are billions of people on this planet and someone somewhere knows how you are feeling. I'm sure EVERYONE here knows how it feels. Don't be like me and many others when we first found out they had a name for what we were going through and think you are alone in feeling the way you do. Just relax, concentrate on breathing, read something, go run until your lungs are sore. Until you find an open door. Try not sink into the depths of your mind. Not that there is anything wrong with doing that. It happens. It can feel like you don't have control over it. And It can be hard to get out of the whole you've dug in your head. But once you do, you'll realize how easy it was all along. Lastly, there is nothing wrong with you. This is something that we as humans go through. We are all here for you. If you ever need to talk drop me a p.m. or somethin. Take care.

-Brendan

G
#13 ·
Nice of you to welcome with such open arms Pegasus. I don't feel very human about this though...more like a malfunctioning robot. All this medication is like some crappy out of date norton anti-virus 1995 and all I need is a reboot.

G
#15 ·
Pigasus said:
Shane you'll be fine. Honestly. At the very least, take comfort in the fact that there are billions of people on this planet and someone somewhere knows how you are feeling. I'm sure EVERYONE here knows how it feels. Don't be like me and many others when we first found out they had a name for what we were going through and think you are alone in feeling the way you do. Just relax, concentrate on breathing, read something, go run until your lungs are sore. Until you find an open door. Try not sink into the depths of your mind. Not that there is anything wrong with doing that. It happens. It can feel like you don't have control over it. And It can be hard to get out of the whole you've dug in your head. But once you do, you'll realize how easy it was all along. Lastly, there is nothing wrong with you. This is something that we as humans go through. We are all here for you. If you ever need to talk drop me a p.m. or somethin. Take care.

-Brendan
Billions of people??? lol, I doubt it

#16 ·
SoulBrotha said:
Pigasus said:
Shane you'll be fine. Honestly. At the very least, take comfort in the fact that there are billions of people on this planet and someone somewhere knows how you are feeling.

-Brendan
Billions of people??? lol, I doubt it
Indeed it is true, SB. There are 6 billion plus on this great planet of ours. And that isn't even including the aliens that live among us.

s.

#17 ·
so do people think the effexor will really help again? please respond. Im going crazy again. how can i live with this for the rest of my life? i can't do this anymore. i have been on the effexor for 5 days now, and its a lower dose than i was before. so what does everyone think? I'm insane. I can't take this anymore.

#18 ·
sebastian you have more patience than 6 BILLION dalilamas. :roll:

shane you are insane. but being insane isnt as uncommon or FREAKY as you are thinking it is. facts are most people have some kind of head trip in one form or another. there is no magic pill there is no magic wand (though some here still believe in one). its pointless to get your panties in a bunch over it. i understand you are experiencing high anxiety and obsessing.. but the last thing you should be doing is freaking out. youre just going to make yourself a BILLION times worse. what you need to do to calm the flood of fear in your mind is sit in a quiet spot.. preferably in nature or perhaps in your room with the lights dimmed.. and breathe in through your nose.. and out through your mouth DEEPLY. shallow breathing is the halmark of panic attacks. if you want to know the truth there is a remedy for obsessive thinking and panic attacks. but its not something you eat.. its something you DO. there are coping techniques and the most important one is meditation and deep breathing. you have to clear your mind and when you feel the panic coming on you know.. ok this is just a panic attack.. im not dying.. just breath and release. there are other things you can do along with it like chanting and meditation techniques. i use yoga and it really really helps clear my mind and release intrusive thinking. do a search and you will find loads of useful info.

#23 ·
your not dying shane.....you are just been swallowed by obssessive thoughts.....it will get better slowley...the thoughts will lesson week by week.....til the thought have gone .....then you should be fine when you fing yourself.....i seem to be stuck.....the thoughts calmed down but as still stuck in dp land of dreams

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.