Depersonalization Support Forum banner

Physiological Effects

694 views 2 replies 1 participant last post by  nothing 
#1 ·
Hi I'm new to this forum. In brief, I have suffered something which I have been struggling to describe to the Army of neurologists, endocronologists, GP's, and recently Psychologists and Psychiatrists that I have seen over the last 2 1/2 years. At last I feel I found something that I can relate to. That is DP.

My question for the immediate is: does anyone suffer physical effects that accompany the feelings of unreality. I can't even begin with the list of my symptoms but the one that has recently interfered with my life to such a degree that I have become a prisoner in my own house is being so uncomfortable within my own skin. Man i don't even know how to describe it lol I find it funny that something I think about all day and experience all day and I can not even describe it. I guess the best way to describe is I feel like Sh*t (vague huh) , I have to be inside, in the dark asleep, I find it difficult being around people. It all feels so physical yet I know its not...

I am so depressed about it because my feelings are stopping me from life.

Anyway not much to go on but I would love to hear from you (anyone) give me some reassurance. It is lonely all the way down here by myself at the bottom of the world. (literally and Metaphorically Speaking)

Thanks Olllie

See less See more
G
#2 ·
I think most of dpers experience some form of physiological symptom. Do you feel uncomfortable in your own skin because it doesn't feel like your own skin or is it something else? I have heard of ppl who are so dp'd and they feel their body to be so unreal that they cut themselves or wear lots of clothing just to feel something "real." Personally, during the onset of my dp, my legs and arms would go numb because I felt so unreal. I would touch my arm and it would not feel like my arm and that would send me right into fear and panic. I have also experienced ever since then occasional dizziness or the feeling that i'm sinking into the floor/ground, but this doesn't happen much anymore. A lot of ppl also complain of various visual disturbances (seeing spots, inability to deal with flourescent lighting) and hearing issues (e.g. ringing in the ears). I believe that dp is the disorder of the disorders that connects mind and body (or, to be more accurate, DISCONNECTS them). It would make sense, following this idea, that there would be mental symptoms accompanied by physiological ones.

G
#3 ·
My dp started out with very physical symptoms. I woke up one morning feeling "numb". I could feel things but i was numb. I was also really dizzy and stuff and the world looked really far away. I couldn't function at all for months. I quit school and, whenever i wasn't at the nuerologists or the emergency room, i would just sit at home forcing my brother to play trivial persuite with me. (it helped get my mind off my symptoms. I got really good at it too.) Each time a new symptom would show up (halos around lights, trails behind moving objects) i would have a full on nervous breakdown. When you say that you are uncomforatable in your skin i think i understand. somewhere between being numb and feeling like my body isn't mine, i have that same feeling. When i touch my skin and it doesn't feel normal, i get really repulsed by it. Well, not exactly repulsed, but...it feels like my skin itches and i can't scratch it but it doesn't really itch. Aaa, i sound like a nut. Anyway, i've learned to function again. Now that i'm used to these sensations they don't scare me as much. I'm sure you'll conquer your panic, as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.