Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else read about this? Appears to be a largely unknown type of DP.

http://www.nonsymbolic.org/PNSE-Article.pdf

It seems like an article on mostly religious/spiritual people who have induced depersonalization in themselves and are viewing it positively as an "enlightenment". It seems to be described in stages, where the last stage is described as chronic autopilot; absolutely no emotions or self-related thoughts. To outside observers there doesn't seem to be much difference in these people. This seems like a more uncommon form of dp/dr where certain processes (emotions/thoughts) have detached and become entirely subconscious, but there's no sense of unreality. While I certainly don't think I'm very enlightened or view my condition positively, I could really relate a lot to what was being described in "Location 4". A few people who rejected the condition apparently managed to exit it like this:

These individuals all reported using a similar technique to exit the experience. They stated that even though they were not experiencing emotion, very deep emotional/psychological triggers could still produce some very weak, 'ghost-like' sensations. The term 'ghost-like' was used by one participant and agreed upon by the others. Others who transitioned from the early part of the continuum to this far location described something similar, stating that as their experience of the furthest parts of the continuum deepened, these 'ghost like' pieces of former emotions vanished. Over time the individuals who wished to reject the latter locations of NSE learned that if they put themselves in situations that produced these sensations they could focuson and strengthen them. Eventually these reconstructed into emotions that could more easily be focused on, and finally enabled them to exit the experience.
So yeah, I just thought this was very interesting. I'm definitely going to try putting myself into stressful/serious situations and see if I can notice something happen.

·
Registered
102 Posts
These individuals all reported using a similar technique to exit the experience. They stated that even though they were not experiencing emotion, very deep emotional/psychological triggers could still produce some very weak, 'ghost-like' sensations. The term 'ghost-like' was used by one participant and agreed upon by the others. Others who transitioned from the early part of the continuum to this far location described something similar, stating that as their experience of the furthest parts of the continuum deepened, these 'ghost like' pieces of former emotions vanished. Over time the individuals who wished to reject the latter locations of NSE learned that if they put themselves in situations that produced these sensations they could focuson and strengthen them. Eventually these reconstructed into emotions that could more easily be focused on, and finally enabled them to exit the experience.
Thats interesting, I can totally relate to the "very weak ghost-like sensations". I'd be interested in how exactly they exited the experience, maybe some of us who can still feel these brief glimpses of emotion could also exit our DPD experience.

The similarity of these experiences to DPD is blatantly apparent.

• "Those who were not involved in a religious or spiritual tradition that contextualized the experience often felt that they might have acquired a mental disorder. This analysis was not based on emotional or mental distress. It was typically arrived at rationally because the way they were experiencing reality was suddenly remarkably different than they had previously, and as far as they could tell different from everyone they knew. Many of these participants sought professional mental health care, which no participant viewed as having been beneficial. Clinicians often told them their descriptions showed similarities to depersonalization and derealization, except for the positive nature of the experience." (page 13/14)

·
Registered
102 Posts
"Another consistent report is a shift in the nature and quantity of thoughts. Virtually all of the participants discussed this as one of the first things they noticed upon entering PNSE. The nature and degree of the change related to a participant's location on the continuum. On the early part of the continuum, nearly all participants reported a significant reduction in, or even complete absence of, thoughts. Around 5% reported that their thoughts actually increased. Those who reported thoughts, including increased thoughts, stated that they were far less influenced by them. Participants reported that for the most part thoughts just came and went, and were generally either devoid of or contained greatly reduced emotional content."

blank mind?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts