Depersonalization Support Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im flying soon and will be taking a valium. Ive already tried it (4mg) and its OK...though it doesn't seem to stop the anxious thoughts...just blunts the effects. My psych recommended beta blockers instead. How do they work? Which symptoms of anxiety do beta blockers target? Ive heard they can cause heart attack even though they are often given to heart attack patients. My biggest fear about flying (even if it is irrational) is that I will freak out and have a heart attack mid-air....not good baggage to take on board. Pls help...again.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I got off my bum and did some research on beta blockers myself. They basically stop some of the symptoms of flight or fight response eg trembling and heart rate. They are not addictive but usage must be closely monitored by doctor. There are some adverse reactions and side effects so I will be sticking to the valium.

This may well be the first time someone answered their own question on the board. I am an original. :D

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
when my dp started i had chest tightness through anxiety, and beta blockers took away the chest symptoms,but this was very short lived as i pulled myself back from dp (on this occasion)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts