Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last night I experienced the worst panic attack ever. I was lying in bed trying to sleep but my mind kept racing through thoughts and things kept playing out in my mind, i kept forgetting that i was laying there in the dark thinking and as soon as I realized what I was doing I started getting creeped out by all these thoughts so i tried to ignore my mind and I hugged my gf and told myself I was okay, and then out of nowhere i started getting panicky and crying and shaking like crazy and my gf woke up shocked because shes never seen this happen to me so severe and told me to breathe but i kept crying hysterically because I had this overpowering feeling of fear. I was feeling exactly the same the day i tripped out on weed(mentally). I felt detached from myself and very altered like i was on shrooms, my body was clammy and my hands felt numb and I just felt dead and not real, my gf kept having to convince me that I was real. I honestly felt like I was going psychotic and that i was going to have to be tranquilized. Now I have major anxiety when I think about going to bed tonight. Idk what to do, I made an appointment to see a therapist a couple weeks ago but i dont have the appointment until march, the health care system in the us is such bs. Idk what I will do until then, everyday gets worse and worse for me, I am falling apart, I have no friends and no one outside this forum understands.

·
Registered
752 Posts
It sounds like you're describing dissociation, triggered by thinking alone in a dark room. When you became grounded again, you were upset and crying? This sounds pretty normal to me, although I know from experience it can be very unpleasant. I think you're going to be okay, but that the anxiety may be very difficult. Going to the therapist, and looking for people going through the same thing, was a great idea. I don't think you're falling apart. When you are suffering less from this drug-induced condition, and your anxiety lessens, you will feel like yourself again.

So far, nothing shows that you are psychotic. True, people with psychosis are psychologically unwell, but not everyone who is psychologically unwell is psychotic. This statement isn't going to rule anything out or protect you from any potential psychosis, but the fact you realize that you're suffering from a psychological problem is a huge indicator that you will be successful in your treatment and outcome, and not a feature of someone who is in a psychotic episode. Even the most common mental health disorders, anxiety and depression, can involve a huge amount of distorted thinking. "I need to worry constantly in order to survive." "Nothing good will ever happen to me, even if I live 100 years." These are very common, irrational thoughts. You, on the other hand, are simply getting lost in your thoughts -- thoughts which may be very rational and sane, for all I know. Dissociation is a common experience among many, although trauma, marijuana and LSD can trigger it severely.

Dissociation is very similar to psychosis in one way, in that they both involve a detachment from reality. Someone who is psychotic may totally relate to someone who is dissociating, but the feeling is not mutual. Dissociating people still have logical and consistent enough thought patterns (unless they're demented, epileptic, etc.). Psychotic people often understand that they are psychotic, but experiencing is very much believing, so it's hard to blame them for believing their intrusive thoughts or hallucinations are real. If you start hallucinating or having thoughts that make no sense like, "Three times the cup is equal to black," or, "They are watching me through the walls," then worry. Until then, please try realize you are a sane person, and that you are going to be okay.

It's also important to note that some psychotic thoughts will appear in people who are sleep deprived, very scared, under the influence of drugs, etc.. It does not mean that they have schizophrenia or some kind of debilitating mental disorder. You may feel debilitated now, but there is a huge chance that you will completely put this behind you some day.

(This post was not me talking to myself, by the way. I have been diagnosed with clinically significant trauma, and they say that's why I dissociate. I suggest looking at advice, and maybe the prognosis for people who have dissociation triggered by marijuana, if you are good at filtering bad info. Marijuana induced DPDR has a different prognosis than Depersonalization Disorder and other causes of dissociation. This doesn't substitute for a professional opinion.)

·
Registered
1 Posts
So last night I experienced the worst panic attack ever. I was lying in bed trying to sleep but my mind kept racing through thoughts and things kept playing out in my mind, i kept forgetting that i was laying there in the dark thinking and as soon as I realized what I was doing I started getting creeped out by all these thoughts so i tried to ignore my mind and I hugged my gf and told myself I was okay, and then out of nowhere i started getting panicky and crying and shaking like crazy and my gf woke up shocked because shes never seen this happen to me so severe and told me to breathe but i kept crying hysterically because I had this overpowering feeling of fear. I was feeling exactly the same the day i tripped out on weed(mentally). I felt detached from myself and very altered like i was on shrooms, my body was clammy and my hands felt numb and I just felt dead and not real, my gf kept having to convince me that I was real. I honestly felt like I was going psychotic and that i was going to have to be tranquilized. Now I have major anxiety when I think about going to bed tonight. Idk what to do, I made an appointment to see a therapist a couple weeks ago but i dont have the appointment until march, the health care system in the us is such bs. Idk what I will do until then, everyday gets worse and worse for me, I am falling apart, I have no friends and no one outside this forum understands.
Hey man I’m 15 and I’m going through the same thing did you get any better

1 - 3 of 3 Posts