Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All the ways which people describe DP/DR I have never been able to relate to the "feeling like your out of your body looking at yourself" description, I think this is partly because I only suffer from DR not DP (atleast i think so).

Does anyone else not experience that?

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I think you have it the wrong way around. With DR, the external worlds seems strange. With DP, it is 'you' who suffers from strange experiences...you feel like a robot, an alien, lack of emotions. Sounds like you have DP to me, and you have my sympathy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I definatly have DR 'cause I have no problems with identifying myself, the outside world feels wierd, my suroundings and people that i meet. And im afraid its never going to go away, ive had it for over 2 years now.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Ah, OK. It's just strange that you mention feeling like you are out of your body. Do you mean out of body experiences when you are asleep, or think you are asleep?

Don't worry - DR/DP does not have to be a life sentence. I've recovered, and many others have done to, and with time, the right help and support, medication perhaps, and most importantly - the correct frame of mind, you will beat this.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Feeling like you're out of you're body is not the same as a literal "out of body experience" where you perceive yourself to be physically removed from your body. Being out of body in terms of DP, is simply a way of describing the feeling that you are not in control of you're body and that you're conciousness is located somewhere outside the physical flesh and bone you inhabit. I wouldnt describe this as an experience, but more as an intense feeling or notion.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I get the "out-of-body" feeling, except my consciousness still is inside. It's just smashed between two panes of glass in my forehead, which is where it sits, observing, but not participating, in what my body is doing. Have you ever seen "Being John Malchovich"? That movie is a perfect example of what it's like.

·
Registered
96 Posts
i've only actually had a true out-of body experience once. Woke up one morning and it was like i was literally sitting next to myself. After a minute or so, i floated back inside my body.

but most of the time, my dp is more of feelings like my arms and legs are all mixed up, or far away, or in a different position then they really are. Feeling like i can;'t tell where my body stops and everything else starts--like it all flows together. Feeling other people in my body with me, feelings like certain body parts belong to someone else-like i am possessed, not recognizing myself in the mirror, and recognizing other people and objects as myself, feeling like i'm tilting from side to side or up and down, etc.
I also constantly feel far away from myself, but it's not like a full out-of-body experience, if that makes any sense. I can't really describe it.

-becka

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
But wait my fellow dp/dr's., Asheh says "I have never been able to relate to the "feeling like your out of your body looking at yourself" description,".
I have just DR and I do not get this feeling either...of which I am very glad. For some reason I just feel DR is the lesser of the two evils.

Asheh, do you get the sense that things are surreal, off balance, just doesn't look damn right? Driving a car is a challenge at first, looking at yourself in the mirror, watching the water come out of the faucet, people looking too close up or too, too far away...these are the things I feel. When my anxiety goes over the top...oh all kinds of things can happen. As Martin says, it is not a life sentence. People do overcome it or at the very least, learn an acceptance of it as I have.

So is this kind of what you feel/see?

terri

1 - 8 of 8 Posts