Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am not able to feel my body.I can sense my body when i touch it I can feel the sense of touch but cannot feel it.I feel i am invisible. Is this Dissociation disorder or Depersonalization. Please guide me

·
Administrator
232 Posts
Hi, it is difficult to say from one post what it is. You should definitely talk to a therapist who knows about dissociation. Dissociation, and Depersonalization and Derealization Disorder, as one of the conditions on the dissociation spectrum, can feel very scary, especially if that is the first time that you feel that way. You may feel like a robot, or floating, or as you say being invisible, or even having the sense that you are of a different size than usual (smaller or bigger). If you are aware that the way you feel is due to your perception, and that in reality nothing has changed (if you know that you are not really invisible, and you are aware that people around you can still see you), that is considered a rather strong indicator that it is dissociation that you are experiencing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But I cannot experiance any alters in me.I feel my child version is very sad due to lack of love during childhood.I heard dissociation has many alters

·
Administrator
232 Posts
Dear priyarahul,

I am sorry to hear that you didn't get the love that you deserved as a child. It is difficult to face it, even as an adult, and to grieve what we never had. But it can be worked through therapy, and there is a way to let go of that pain.

Now, I would like to emphasize that Dissociation absolutely does not mean that you have Dissociative identity disorder, and anyway you need to speak to a therapist in order to be diagnozed, otherwise it is just guessing. Dissociation is a broad term for a diagnostic group of disorders that are most often due to chronic traumatization in childhood. But it is important to say that dissociation does not have to be a disorder, as it is an ability and a mechanism that we all have. It becomes the disorder once an individual starts relying on this coping mechanism a lot, to the point of not being able to function well in their life.

The group of dissociative disorders comprises separately defined disorders such as Depersonalization and Derealization Disorder, Dissociative Amnesia, Dissociative Fugue, and also those disorders that show some sort of identity confusion or identity alteration, such as OSDD and DID. All of these are considered disorders as long as they influence or impair the person's life considerably. They all can be treated and recovery is possible. So, on this spectrum, you may experience detachment from different things (such as being detached from your memories, or your emotions, or sensations in your body, etc.).

There is a Dissociative Experiences Scale (DES), a simple test that is not intended for diagnozing yourself (to get a dx for dissociation it takes some time, and someone who is very knowledgeable about trauma and dissociative disorders), but it is used for screening whether a client in therapy has dissociation in the broadest sense. Even if you score high on this test, it does not mean that the dissociation you are experiencing is a disorder. You may be currently experiencing PTSD, or be very stressed without any other diagnosis, so dissociation (not as a condition or a diagnosis, but as a coping mechanism) may be high.

So, my advice would be to seek help. Find a therapist who knows about those things.

Take care,

A.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts