Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After one year of my disorder i got no effect anymore from psychopharmakas or sleeping associated drugs. Especially the fact of no effect from sleeping drugs is a riddle for me.

Have anyone of you this psychopharmaka resistance and/ or has somebody a explanation for this or what i can do to change that fact (treatment) ?

If anybody can give me a reply, i am very grateful because not to sleep is so excruciating...i need really help

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for reply.

But that is my problem, that i tried all the common antidepressants associated with improvement in sleeping or to get tired. it doesnt work in my case anymore. it seems that i am in constant husy state. Maybe it has to do with my depression/dp, because my inner body processes in general are very low, Another reason maybe is that i tried so many meds so that my brain shutted down...but that only speculations...

maybe you have other explanations...

Or i can find here someone you has it in a similar way....

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I once went 53 days without real sleep. During that period, I took 2 doses of chloral hydrate and woke up 1.5 hours later. My pdoc was unable to help me until I read a library book on insomnia which suggested I try Amitriptyline (aka Elavil).

Amitriptyline is a Tricyclic Antidepressant which has a hypnotic effect. A dosage for depression might be 250=300mg. I took 150mg and had my first full nights sleep in over 50 days. That silly old medicine saved my life. I was able to reduce that dose to 75mg and still find the

sleep window. During another episode of major depression with insomnia, I found relief with the antipsychotic Seroquel. I took a dose of 75mg and it also facilitated sleep. Somehow, it did so without making my mind feel tired, but it made

my body feel very tired. I remember taking it he first night and waking up 1.5 hours later thinking...that's it. I won't be able to fall back asleep as I don't feel tired at all. Next thing I know, it's 8:30am as I had slept through the night. That too was a miracle for me.

I took the meds until my mind learned how to sleep again. It is very important to get recuperative rest, when struggling with a mental illness such as major depression. Don't take the attitude that you have tried everything and nothing works,

when it isn't true. Insomnia is very destructive to your physical health. I underwent 5 heart bypasses in my 40s, and I partly attribute my heart disease to the stress of 4 episodes of major depression, and insomnia and anxiety both increase the risk of

suicide by a factor of 5, according to medical studies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts