Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody

I am really struggling at the moment and could do with some sound advice.

I am now finding it OK to deal with the daytime odd feelings of DPD. Its very hard but I am doing OK.

Unfortunately, at night I am having the worst time ever.

If you can help with any of these symptoms or liken to them it would be great.

As I drift off or go to sleep I cant work out who I am. I scream, and hit things hard, clench my fists and scream and say strange things because I cant work out who or where I am. I am not sleeping because of this. When it gets dark I get very anxious and lose identity of who I am. I kind of feel like 2 people or several people and cant work out who I am. The body I see and my hands and feet arent mine and then I think but who am I?

I read somewhere I should tell myself it is not dangerous but just uncomfortable and nothing will happen. Recognize my symptoms and surroundings but I am too scared too because I am so confused. I am shattered and say weird things to my wife like "kill me I cant cope any more its just too much"! I scream for ages until my throat is sore and clench my fists and grab my bed sheets and pull them until my fingers go numb.

I take 20mg of Ecitalopram every morning and 100 mg of beta blockers every day.

My jaw and face and back are killing me from stress. I work full time and am OK in the day but soooo tired and finding it hard to work now.

Take care guys

Ben

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Ben,

First of all, happy new year to you and your wife!

I understand that it is so stressful. Being an impatient person, I get so angry and stressed that I can't just click my fingers and feel normal!

Have you found the medication you're on to be helpful at all? How long have you been taking them?

Is it possible to speak to anyone at work about what's troubling you and how you don't want things to escalate and badly affect your work? It's in their interest to help out you as an employee.

Whether this helps or not I don't know, but I've been drinking chamomile tea and that really seems to relax me and relieve stress.

Also, how do you eventually drift off?

All the best,

Ally

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Rapunzally

Thank you for your email. The meds I take help obsessive thoughts etc and keep me level so to speak but do not help in the night. My doctor wants to start me on anti epileptic drugs next week but its worrying me.

Good idea. If I tell work how I feel I am sure they will understand.

I have had dpd since I was about 11 after I lost a lot of blood from an operation.

Take care

Ben

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi.

I wouldn't be worried about the new medication, if you don't find it works you can always stop and your doctor is qualified to know what may be best! I'd trust your doctor, but you are completely in control either way.

I struggle to sleep also, I need to be more hard on myself and really make an effort to wind down before bed time!

I hope you can find a solution soon, I know how frustrating it is but there is always a light at the end of every tunnel.

Good luck,

Ally

·
Registered
78 Posts
Escitalopram started my dp hell, and I have read that it causes dp/dr quite often. In the info paper that comes with the drug, derealization is named one of the side effects, but on my paxil info paper dp is ot named as a side effect.. Also escitalopram is (according to 2 doctors ive seen) the strongest of the ssris.

When I started cipralex my nights were terrible, I usually woke up in the middle of the night feeling really anxious and somehow aggressive like I just wanted to punch things and god only help if something or someone got on my way or irritated me. I think trying to start cipra made me eventually get severe depression, and I should start paxil the day after tomorrow and Im really really really scared that does it make me crazy for good.

If you dont want to try another ssri, maybe ask for some benzos to take when its really bad, not everyday ofc and in the smallest dose that calms you down, try first taking maybe half of what ur doc recommends (if you can get the prescribtion ofc..) Valium would probably be good cos you take it on night time..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.