Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, sorry for the long post.

?Nightmares occur during the dream phase of sleep known as REM sleep (this stands for Rapid Eye Movement; also known as "dreaming" sleep). The circumstances of the nightmare will frighten the child, who usually will wake up with a vivid memory of a long movie-like dream. Night terrors, on the other hand, occur during a phase of deep non-REM sleep usually an hour or two after the child goes to bed. During a night terror, which may last anywhere from a few minutes up to an hour, the child is still asleep. Her eyes may be open, but she is not awake. When she does wake up, she'll have absolutely no recollection of the episode other than a sense of fear?

Wondered if anybody out there knows much about this? When I was very young, I used to have night terrors. The usual theme was that I thought that my Mum was in the washing machine. If my parents tried to console me, their hands looked very big or distorted, so I guess my dream was interspersed with reality. There is more awareness now of such phenomena and is apparently fairly common in children, and isn?t indicative of anything serious.

Firstly, I was wondering if anybody else on this board had or has night terrors (adults can have them too). Just wondering if there is a link there anywhere? Would appreciate any responses.

Secondly, I think I still occasionally experience something similar. For instance, have any of you ever been ill with flu/fever and spent the night tossing and turning, knowing that you are going over and over the same thing in your head/the same ?puzzle? and not able to snap out of it. Sometimes you think someone is in the room (not see, but feel, like reality is somehow interspersed with dreams again) Both my parents have this and apparently sleep related issues can be inherited. It isn?t like a night terror as I am aware that I am almost awake, and aware that I am still going over this recurring issue which doesn?t make sense to be thinking over in bed (like trying to find your phone or something). I have to get up and go to the bathroom and make a concerted effort to wake up, and get my mind to stop its train of dreamlike thought. When I finally come round, I can normally go back to bed and sleep. I am fully aware it?s happening, I am not afraid as the issue is usually something mundane, just highly irritating. Is this some diluted form of night terror? It usually happens once a year, and has happened when I have been absolutely fine with regards to dp/anxiety.

Last few nights, I basically feel as though when I go to bed, I might as well go and spend 8 hours in a Wacky Warehouse or Theme Park for all the rest and recuperation sleep gives me. I have been on Effexor for about a month and am pleased to say that my dp has improved significantly, since being very responsive to anxiety, which is now very minimal. Yesterday was my best day yet, no dp etc. However, this appears to be inversely proportionate to my sleep health. I spend almost all night in a half and half state, aware that I am tossing and turning, but unable to think ?wake up and go and do something? in order to stop it. The ?issue? that I am trying to solve is, of course, our friend Mr. DP. When I am not half and half, I have extremely vivid dreams which I can recall to the tiniest detail. Hence, when I wake in the morning, I know its been a dream, but it 'feels' as though all those things have happened. I had to ask my boyfriend upon waking yesterday ?Please tell me you didn?t sleep with that girl?. He was obviously confused?Luckily the memory of the dreams fades within minutes. Today has not been a bad day but I am beginning to dread going to bed.

SSRI?s affect dreams, I know that and to top it off I have had tonsillitis for what seems like forever, so I am feverish, in fact woke up covered in cold sweat (nice) this morning. I need to know if anybody else has such disturbed sleep. I don?t usually, only since this ?hiccup? or quarter life crisis?

I have practically removed caffeine from my diet, tried varying amount of alcohol, eating earlier but doesn?t really do much. I think it may be the tablets. Please don?t suggest sleeping pills as I had a very bad incident on Sonata which I will save for another post?.

Anyway, reading this has worried me somewhat. Although a part of me thinks the guy who said this is talking utter crap and his link is very tenuous.

?as we know depressed people dream three times as much as non-depressed people. They over-dream as an attempt to clear the brain of unfufilled emotional introspections from the day before. The problem with over-dreaming is that serotonin is not produced during dream-sleep and the 'orientation response' becomes exhausrted. Therefore the depressed individual wakes up exhausted.

When we dream we are all psychotic. We hear, see and feel things that are not there. The 'language' of both psychosis and dreams is, of course, metaphor.

If someone was so depressed that their over-dreaming spilled out into daytime REM activity they woud be dreamng whilst awake which is a good definition of psychosis.'

Sorry for going on about myself, just wondered if anybody had any knowledge on the subject and/or tips on getting a peaceful night?s kip?

Thanking you kindly,
G-funk

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi guys, sorry for the long post.

?Nightmares occur during the dream phase of sleep known as REM sleep (this stands for Rapid Eye Movement; also known as "dreaming" sleep). The circumstances of the nightmare will frighten the child, who usually will wake up with a vivid memory of a long movie-like dream. Night terrors, on the other hand, occur during a phase of deep non-REM sleep usually an hour or two after the child goes to bed. During a night terror, which may last anywhere from a few minutes up to an hour, the child is still asleep. Her eyes may be open, but she is not awake. When she does wake up, she'll have absolutely no recollection of the episode other than a sense of fear?

Wondered if anybody out there knows much about this? When I was very young, I used to have night terrors. The usual theme was that I thought that my Mum was in the washing machine. If my parents tried to console me, their hands looked very big or distorted, so I guess my dream was interspersed with reality. There is more awareness now of such phenomena and is apparently fairly common in children, and isn?t indicative of anything serious.

Firstly, I was wondering if anybody else on this board had or has night terrors (adults can have them too). Just wondering if there is a link there anywhere? Would appreciate any responses.

Secondly, I think I still occasionally experience something similar. For instance, have any of you ever been ill with flu/fever and spent the night tossing and turning, knowing that you are going over and over the same thing in your head/the same ?puzzle? and not able to snap out of it. Sometimes you think someone is in the room (not see, but feel, like reality is somehow interspersed with dreams again) Both my parents have this and apparently sleep related issues can be inherited. It isn?t like a night terror as I am aware that I am almost awake, and aware that I am still going over this recurring issue which doesn?t make sense to be thinking over in bed (like trying to find your phone or something). I have to get up and go to the bathroom and make a concerted effort to wake up, and get my mind to stop its train of dreamlike thought. When I finally come round, I can normally go back to bed and sleep. I am fully aware it?s happening, I am not afraid as the issue is usually something mundane, just highly irritating. Is this some diluted form of night terror? It usually happens once a year, and has happened when I have been absolutely fine with regards to dp/anxiety.

Last few nights, I basically feel as though when I go to bed, I might as well go and spend 8 hours in a Wacky Warehouse or Theme Park for all the rest and recuperation sleep gives me. I have been on Effexor for about a month and am pleased to say that my dp has improved significantly, since being very responsive to anxiety, which is now very minimal. Yesterday was my best day yet, no dp etc. However, this appears to be inversely proportionate to my sleep health. I spend almost all night in a half and half state, aware that I am tossing and turning, but unable to think ?wake up and go and do something? in order to stop it. The ?issue? that I am trying to solve is, of course, our friend Mr. DP. When I am not half and half, I have extremely vivid dreams which I can recall to the tiniest detail. Hence, when I wake in the morning, I know its been a dream, but it 'feels' as though all those things have happened. I had to ask my boyfriend upon waking yesterday ?Please tell me you didn?t sleep with that girl?. He was obviously confused?Luckily the memory of the dreams fades within minutes. Today has not been a bad day but I am beginning to dread going to bed.

SSRI?s affect dreams, I know that and to top it off I have had tonsillitis for what seems like forever, so I am feverish, in fact woke up covered in cold sweat (nice) this morning. I need to know if anybody else has such disturbed sleep. I don?t usually, only since this ?hiccup? or quarter life crisis?

I have practically removed caffeine from my diet, tried varying amount of alcohol, eating earlier but doesn?t really do much. I think it may be the tablets. Please don?t suggest sleeping pills as I had a very bad incident on Sonata which I will save for another post?.

Anyway, reading this has worried me somewhat. Although a part of me thinks the guy who said this is talking utter crap and his link is very tenuous.

?as we know depressed people dream three times as much as non-depressed people. They over-dream as an attempt to clear the brain of unfufilled emotional introspections from the day before. The problem with over-dreaming is that serotonin is not produced during dream-sleep and the 'orientation response' becomes exhausrted. Therefore the depressed individual wakes up exhausted.

When we dream we are all psychotic. We hear, see and feel things that are not there. The 'language' of both psychosis and dreams is, of course, metaphor.

If someone was so depressed that their over-dreaming spilled out into daytime REM activity they woud be dreamng whilst awake which is a good definition of psychosis.'

Sorry for going on about myself, just wondered if anybody had any knowledge on the subject and/or tips on getting a peaceful night?s kip?

Thanking you kindly,
G-funk

G

·
i dunno if i have night terrors, but just this mourning i had another great fuckin episode of SLEEP PARALYSIS baby! Its sooooooooooooo great,

na but really, it sucks & it makes me feel 10 times more tired, no matter how much sleep i get.

I think i need to really develop a healthy sleep pattern.

G

·
i dunno if i have night terrors, but just this mourning i had another great fuckin episode of SLEEP PARALYSIS baby! Its sooooooooooooo great,

na but really, it sucks & it makes me feel 10 times more tired, no matter how much sleep i get.

I think i need to really develop a healthy sleep pattern.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
the problem i have with dreaming is the fact that as soon as i wake the first question i ask myself is 'what did i dream about' now is this a normal question to ask oneself or have i got too much time on my hands...anyway,my dreams are sometimes very strange because certain things happen when i dream and i have to try and distinguish if it was a dream or did it really happened,9 times out of ten it was just a dream,but this doesnt scare me because i know that its quite common,but another thing that really does effect my dreams and cause horrible nightmares is 'cheese' believe me when i say that this isnt an old wifes tale cheese is for whatever reason a horrible food for causing nightmares...whenever i eat cheese late at night my dreams are filled with violence and guns......
but my problem at the moment is losing track of the days....yesterday i woke up and thought it was sunday but it turned out to be monday...

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
the problem i have with dreaming is the fact that as soon as i wake the first question i ask myself is 'what did i dream about' now is this a normal question to ask oneself or have i got too much time on my hands...anyway,my dreams are sometimes very strange because certain things happen when i dream and i have to try and distinguish if it was a dream or did it really happened,9 times out of ten it was just a dream,but this doesnt scare me because i know that its quite common,but another thing that really does effect my dreams and cause horrible nightmares is 'cheese' believe me when i say that this isnt an old wifes tale cheese is for whatever reason a horrible food for causing nightmares...whenever i eat cheese late at night my dreams are filled with violence and guns......
but my problem at the moment is losing track of the days....yesterday i woke up and thought it was sunday but it turned out to be monday...

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Wow... g-funk you seem to be quite knowledgeable on this subject. I'm sure I don't know as much as you about dreaming although I'm quite interested in it. I wake up screaming sometimes... well not anymore since I got back on the klonopin, but when I was on no meds, when I was on effexor and provigil, and when I was on celexa I would wake up screaming, sometimes I wouldn't even really wake up... my mother would tell me about it. Sometimes I'd wake up the next day and be thinkin' did I scream last night...hmm not sure. It was weird.

I would cut out the alcohol completely. Trust me I know that's easier said than done. It may help you fall asleep but I've been told that it messes up the quality of sleep and your mind isn't getting rejuvenated like it should. And when I'm feverish I have that half awake thing going. I don't know. Do you have a routine at night. Do you go to bed the same time every night? Have you tried a meditation tape to listen to at night? Sometimes I listen to Bernie Siegel at night, helps me sleep although I should really get the CD instead of this tape cuz the click when it stops wakes me up sometimes and then I have to get up and turn it over. Sorry I'm not much help... just some thoughts.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Wow... g-funk you seem to be quite knowledgeable on this subject. I'm sure I don't know as much as you about dreaming although I'm quite interested in it. I wake up screaming sometimes... well not anymore since I got back on the klonopin, but when I was on no meds, when I was on effexor and provigil, and when I was on celexa I would wake up screaming, sometimes I wouldn't even really wake up... my mother would tell me about it. Sometimes I'd wake up the next day and be thinkin' did I scream last night...hmm not sure. It was weird.

I would cut out the alcohol completely. Trust me I know that's easier said than done. It may help you fall asleep but I've been told that it messes up the quality of sleep and your mind isn't getting rejuvenated like it should. And when I'm feverish I have that half awake thing going. I don't know. Do you have a routine at night. Do you go to bed the same time every night? Have you tried a meditation tape to listen to at night? Sometimes I listen to Bernie Siegel at night, helps me sleep although I should really get the CD instead of this tape cuz the click when it stops wakes me up sometimes and then I have to get up and turn it over. Sorry I'm not much help... just some thoughts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
G-funk-

I know EXACTLY what you are talking about... I'm a graphic designer, and spend alot of time doing page layouts, and at the height of my dp/dr issues, when I was falling asleep I would constantly feel like I had to solve this design challenge, like my thoughts suddently turned into to text that I had to fit into this template, but no matter what I tried to do, it wouldnt work, and I wouldnt be able to fall asleep until I solved this challenge. It scared the living shit out of me, and was the one thing that really fuelled my anxiety. This was in a period that I was off effexor and started to go back on. I have gone back on effexor twice, and both times, i have found the first 4-8 weeks VERY difficult. Of course ymmv, but personally my dream activity was so intense that I was totally convinced that I wouldnt be able to contain my dream activity to dreams, and that it would spill out into my waking life, and that would be psychosis, just as you described. The worst thing was that I would be able to start dreaming as soon as I closed my eyes to go to sleep. I would still be awake, but entire narratives would form in my head. It still scares me, and I have a deep feeling that effexor has something to do with it, but right now, it is the only thing that is helping me to live a 'normal' life.

As the effexor kicked in, I started sleeping better and these things dont really happen anymore, except for the occasional episode where I wake up in the middle of the night and have this insane deep revelation that "I am a human being with consciousness, and that is just so weird to even handle" but usually I am too tired to deal with it and just pass back out.

Janine wrote a great page about this in her most recent book where she describes the sensations in much better detail and craft that I can. I was also taking some benzo's and stillnox/ambien to get to bed, which I also think had something to do with it.

Sorry if its not that positive of a post, but just wanted to let you know that I can sort of sympathize with your situation. Its something that still concerns me greatly, and if anyone else has some input on the subject, please post it!

Best,
J

·
Registered
10 Posts
G-funk-

I know EXACTLY what you are talking about... I'm a graphic designer, and spend alot of time doing page layouts, and at the height of my dp/dr issues, when I was falling asleep I would constantly feel like I had to solve this design challenge, like my thoughts suddently turned into to text that I had to fit into this template, but no matter what I tried to do, it wouldnt work, and I wouldnt be able to fall asleep until I solved this challenge. It scared the living shit out of me, and was the one thing that really fuelled my anxiety. This was in a period that I was off effexor and started to go back on. I have gone back on effexor twice, and both times, i have found the first 4-8 weeks VERY difficult. Of course ymmv, but personally my dream activity was so intense that I was totally convinced that I wouldnt be able to contain my dream activity to dreams, and that it would spill out into my waking life, and that would be psychosis, just as you described. The worst thing was that I would be able to start dreaming as soon as I closed my eyes to go to sleep. I would still be awake, but entire narratives would form in my head. It still scares me, and I have a deep feeling that effexor has something to do with it, but right now, it is the only thing that is helping me to live a 'normal' life.

As the effexor kicked in, I started sleeping better and these things dont really happen anymore, except for the occasional episode where I wake up in the middle of the night and have this insane deep revelation that "I am a human being with consciousness, and that is just so weird to even handle" but usually I am too tired to deal with it and just pass back out.

Janine wrote a great page about this in her most recent book where she describes the sensations in much better detail and craft that I can. I was also taking some benzo's and stillnox/ambien to get to bed, which I also think had something to do with it.

Sorry if its not that positive of a post, but just wanted to let you know that I can sort of sympathize with your situation. Its something that still concerns me greatly, and if anyone else has some input on the subject, please post it!

Best,
J

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks jw - you've made me feel much better. So basically, its sounds as though effexor could be the culprit here, or at least it should take some of the responsibility! I too can start dreaming as soon as I close my eyes, if I'm really tired. I think effexor makes you tired and able to fall asleep real quick.
I use graphic drawing programmes too, and find that I am very good at drawing housing plans in my sleep....creative even whilst asleep!
Like you, effexor has been so good for me that I am prepared to take these dreams. Last night was ok, not so much half and half stuff, though I did dream I had a baby which ate some fertiliser then died. It was very traumatic, but I can always see the funny side in the morning because when awake, effexor seems to work really well!!

Lastly, if anybody could comment on this psychotic theory then it would be very much appreciated. I think it's just a genetic predisposition to sleep disturbances triggered by other stuff. My brother used to sleep walk and always thought the waste paper basket was the toilet...

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks jw - you've made me feel much better. So basically, its sounds as though effexor could be the culprit here, or at least it should take some of the responsibility! I too can start dreaming as soon as I close my eyes, if I'm really tired. I think effexor makes you tired and able to fall asleep real quick.
I use graphic drawing programmes too, and find that I am very good at drawing housing plans in my sleep....creative even whilst asleep!
Like you, effexor has been so good for me that I am prepared to take these dreams. Last night was ok, not so much half and half stuff, though I did dream I had a baby which ate some fertiliser then died. It was very traumatic, but I can always see the funny side in the morning because when awake, effexor seems to work really well!!

Lastly, if anybody could comment on this psychotic theory then it would be very much appreciated. I think it's just a genetic predisposition to sleep disturbances triggered by other stuff. My brother used to sleep walk and always thought the waste paper basket was the toilet...

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi peacedove, didn't see your reply! I've always been interested in sleep because of living in a house full of nightwalkers.... I used to go into the living room whilst everyone was watching tv, turn it off and walk back out again and get back into bed while people just watched me, probably laughing their heads off!
You're right about alcohol, it does ruin the quality of your sleep, as does pot. Sometimes I don't get tired if I haven't had a glass of wine, so I should do some more exercise to get me tired instead. I dont drink heavily, just 2 glasses a night. But generally, I can fall asleep, just not stay asleep. Celexa did it to me too and you say that aswell so I think it must be the drugs especially as I haven't had this for ages until going on Effexor.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi peacedove, didn't see your reply! I've always been interested in sleep because of living in a house full of nightwalkers.... I used to go into the living room whilst everyone was watching tv, turn it off and walk back out again and get back into bed while people just watched me, probably laughing their heads off!
You're right about alcohol, it does ruin the quality of your sleep, as does pot. Sometimes I don't get tired if I haven't had a glass of wine, so I should do some more exercise to get me tired instead. I dont drink heavily, just 2 glasses a night. But generally, I can fall asleep, just not stay asleep. Celexa did it to me too and you say that aswell so I think it must be the drugs especially as I haven't had this for ages until going on Effexor.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts