Depersonalization Support Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody here had this horrid experience or something similar?

My personal experience goes like this.
I fall asleep feeling on edge or unsettled in some way,nothing I can exactly put my finger on.
I wake up within the next hour or so with my heart racing a million miles an hour.My ears are ringing so loud it's all I can hear.
Within seconds I realise I'm freezing cold and I can't feel my breath or my body at all,I'm sweating and I feel like I want to throw up.
I feel for certain that I'm leaving my body,I can actually feel my life force leaving.I find it near impossible to walk,my legs are so weak and I can't feel the floor.
I'm terrified for my life,convinced I will not see another day.
I have often begged my partner to take me to the hospital to save my life.

I've been having these nocturnal episodes for a long time.I usually have several a year often grouped around the same time.
I had one last night,the first one in over a year or so.
I'm still so shaken up this morning as I always forget how powerful they are.
Try as I like I'm rarely able to control my thinking and have no control over my body.I just have to wait it out and finally fall back to sleep exhausted.

I have only ever had one in the day.It was when I first got chronic dp and I was out of town for the day on business........yikes!so embarassing I told the people I was having a dizzy attack.I cried with shame all the way home.

Any thoughts,best Shelly

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am sorry that you have experienced this...it sounds terrifying.
I have not had that happen to me,but can understand why you want to talk about it.
I hope you find some answers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Shelly.
Well, I'm not sure this is the same thing.....
Sometimes I will wake up completely out of breath. As if I haven't been breathing for awhile. My body is cold as an ice cube. My heart is going at 1.3 million miles per hour. I am at panic intensity of anxiety. I can't seem to move any part of my body, as if I am paralyzed. Eventually I will take in a huge breath of air, and the episode soon passes. Although it takes awhile for my heart to settle back down.

Sometimes this occurs without me actually waking up, so my wife tells me. It tends to happen in clusters, i.e. a few to several nights in a row, sometimes more than one time each night. Then I go for months without it happening. This has been going on since I became DP.
I have been tested (twice) for sleep apnea, with nothing showing up.
Not sure that's the same thing you're talking about, but it reminds me of it anyway.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Hi LoveSell,

I remember a lot of those feelings from when this all first began. As I use to tell my shrink, I just could not believe that your damn mind could do that to you in the middle of sleep. Where is the peace???

So sorry you are having this now. I have not experienced it in a very long time but reading your description brought the whole intense experience back.

Love ya Kiddo. Do hang in there.
terri

·
Registered
749 Posts
i am like terri with this one....

.....i had a lot of the night terrors when i first got the symptoms.....

.....id manage about 1 hours sleep and wake up heart racing, pins and needles in hands and feet, intense pain in head, tinnitus, cold but yet soaked through with sweat....

....my therapist at the time said that if it happened again to get out of bed and iron or something else boring to distract yourself nothing stimulating then you should be able to get back to sleep.....

....i myself havent had one of these attacks in 6 months, touch wood i wont have one again

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dreamcatcher Me iron! lol that one wouldn't work,I no iron.

Honestly I get so freaked out I can't feel anything,least of all my own body.
I rub my feet to try and get the circulation moving and warm them up.
I breathe into cupped hands to try and feel my breath again.
Other than that I usually can't move,frozen with fear.

It's so hard for me to believe that this night terror is anxiety or a panic attack of some nature.As Terri said it's odd to happen whilst in sleep.I can't even say I recall dreaming,so it's not a nightmare.

I've had them dating back pre chronic dp.I've told several doctors,they never have an answer except to suggest it's some form of anxiety attack.
Like sc I have considered the possibility of a sleep disorder.
From what I've read my attacks don't fit the picture of sleep apnea.I'm not over weight or have a large neck(just a wrinkly one).

Perhaps abnormal breathing whilst alseep could cause hyperventilation.
I do snore a lot................not a pretty sight I'm told.

I once was watching Oprah and a guy was on describing pretty much the same as what happens to me.I cried because it was the first time I'd heard anybody else describe it.
He didn't have a day time anxiety disorder,only this odd night terror experience.Unfortunately they left it at being a mystery.

Thanks to all you beautiful people,best Shelly

·
Registered
984 Posts
Dear Shelly,
What you're describing sounds alot like a complex partial seizure to me. What SC described, sleep paralysis, has been attributed to seizure activity as well. Usually during a complex partial seizure, a person may hear or smell something unusual, have no control over their bodily movement, and be partially aware of their surroundings. Some people hear or see things that arent there during them, or just experience vertigo. Some people experience their complex partials during the day, while some only at night. If you experienced this while both awake and asleep, maybe you should still look into getting an EEG and a CT of your head.

Peace
Homeskooled

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Homeskooled,I'll look into it.Believe me the thought of seizures has crossed my mind.
I intend to see my doctor and request an EEG.
I've had an MRI of my brain a couple of years ago.
Can I assume that's this is more advanced than a CT scan?

Best Shelly

·
Registered
984 Posts
Dear Shelly,
An EEG is a great way to start- an overnight EEG is the best. And yes, an MRI is the gold standard for brain imaging. Its a little better than a CT, although CTs are still very, very detailed. Good luck, and dont worry about it too much. This could be really, really treatable, and explain your feelings of unreality.

Peace
Homeskooled

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For what it's worth, part of the many (many) sensors attached to your body during a sleep study involve an EEG. No unusual activity showed up on mine during either study. Then again, in the past 21 years I have had exactly two decent night's sleep - the nights of the sleep studies. Slept like a rock both times.
I guess I just sleep better with wires dangling all over me. Also, and this may be directed more towards Homeskooled - I am always DP. I don't experience the sensations in discrete episodes. While I can understand how some type of seizure disorder may be involved with my "sleep paralysis", I don't see how that could translate into continuous DP.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts