Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does nicotine make you’re symptoms better or worse? I smoke roughly 8-10 cigarettes a day. I recently just started again after being clean for 2 weeks. Hardest thing to quit in my opinion and I’ve quit more things then I’d like to admit.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
They say smoking takes 10-15 years off your life. They are right. I'm 65 and my smoking friends were the first to hail a cab. I quit smoking in my mid 20s, but I had to quit drinking in order to quit smoking.

When the coast was clear, I went back to drinking. But, then I started using oral tobacco. I did that for more than 20 years, before I kicked that habit. Oral tobacco like skoal or Copenhagen is every bit

as hard a habit to kick as smoking. The way to stop is to ask yourself how intelligent you are. Go onto the web and look at the pictures of diseased lungs, and people with tracheotomies in their necks,

and people who have had half of their faces removed from cancer caused by oral tobacco, and ask yourself the second question - do I want that to be me? Am I smart enough to recognize that I suffer

from an addiction that can be cured by simple abstinence? Once you have all the correct answers, just stop screwing around and free yourself. Just think of those tobacco executives living in luxury while

you wake up every morning looking for a cigarette. Anger can be a great motivator. They got you hooked and it's gonna cost you big time. lol

·
Registered
102 Posts
There are inherent qualities about smoking that repel me from doing it, namely that it contains carcinogenic compounds and smoking darts is well-documented to damage overall health [link]. Consequently, as your health deteriorates, you will also feel physically worse.

In saying that, I do acknowledge some of the alleged positive effects of nicotine. Some research indicates that nicotine may act as an MAOI, and it may have anti-depressant effects [link], which may explain why many with mental illness smoke. Paradoxically, due to nicotine dependence, you will very likely suffer depression and anxiety as a result of quitting, at least for a short while after cessation. Moreover, nicotine may be cognition-inhancing [link], similar to caffeine, hence why so many writers, researchers, journalists and academics smoke and drink coffee.

Personally, I do enjoy the effects of nicotine, a "snus" or a vape with high concentrations of nicotine I do find pleasant and effects my cognition in a positive way. In saying that, I don't take this substance due to the financial burdens and certain social stigmas. As for smoking though, the physical damages far outweigh the short term cognitive boosts and momentary euphoria. It doesn't affect my DP in any way.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Disclaimer: I dont want anyone to get into a nicotine addiction! Dont start if you are not addicted!

I just experienced something interesting. While in a rehab facility, i started snus. My dp became a lot better, mostly because of thr therapy for sure. But as i tried to stop snus, i felt that my DP got much worse. About 10 minutes ago i took my first portion of snus, and i my dp symptoms decreased heavily.
As i said, if you are not addicted, i strongly recommend to not try! I dont think it helps your dp this way. But for me trying to quit did more harm than good for my dp. Anyone else experiencing the same?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts