Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post and I just wanted to see if anyone could relate to my experiences. I'm currently 24 and when I was 17 I suffered through a weird time where I had a bunch of unexplained medical symptoms. During this time, I obsessed over them constantly and eventually reached a point where I could barely sleep at night. The one day at school after another sleepless night I felt completely in a dream like state. The white walls seemed to shimmer and my body felt a slight numbness to it. I was eventually diagnosed with mono and this seemed to calm down my body and my symptoms started to dissipate but I never felt completely "normal" again. Fast forward to college and I was doing okay minus some continuing anxiety symptoms. Then I went through a stressful period of time about a year and a half ago where I suffered two separate instances of a collapsed lung while lifting and also a pretty terrifying car accident. Since then, my symptoms have grown increasingly hard to deal with and seem to be present constantly. I always feel like I am in a fog and my body feels disconnected like all of my senses are dull and I am hollow inside. My neck and throat also seem to be extremely tight. I find the physically symptoms to be the worst. . Can you anyone relate to these symptoms and if so how did you get over them? I just want to live a normal life and not have to think about these symptoms constantly. They are holding me back in my life. I'm sorry for the long post but I wanted to get everything out there.

·
Administrator
232 Posts
@jjr5408,

Sorry for not having a more concrete advice, I just noticed that you have been in a car crash, and wished to confirm that it can have some longer term physical and psychological consequences, as the ones you describe. I was in a car crash too, and it brought back a lot of dissociation that I used to have in time prior to accident. Problems with neck and head seem to be a pretty standard complaint after being in a car crash, due to whiplash or a blow, and I can tell you I was not myself for a whole year afterwards. It was as if my physical and psychological distress joined to make my life miserable. The best advice I got was to take care of all possible underlying medical causes for me feeling this way (see neurologist, par example), and when I was certain I cleared that out, I went to my psychiatrist. However, I was so happy to be alive and not to have some more serious injuries from this car crash than a few stitches, I came across as almost cheerful during the session, so he dismissed me with flying colors, while in reality I did not feel that well. It took me some time to recuperate and a couple of years before I went back to therapy with more awareness about what was really causing me psychological distress.

Hope you will manage to find way out of it, step by step.

Cheers,

A.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts