Depersonalization Support Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im 23 years old and im somewhat new to depersonalization. A couple months ago i got DP when smoked some weed with some friends. only took two hits off a bong and i was blasted. note that i only smoke once every 3 months or so. i am not a regular smoker by anymeans and i rarely even drink alcohol. i have even done mushrooms a couple times and was fine. i dont do these that often because i finally realized i dont like my mind to be altered because i like to be in control of my mind. THis weed high was the highest ive even been in my life and ive been pretty high before. WHen i was high the paranoia set it like it usually does and the visuals it was giving me was kind of freaking out. i didnt feel like the world was going to end or anything i was just overwhelmed by how high i was. i even worked up enough courage to go to a restaurant with my friends and grab some beers. within a couple hours i started to come down and my friend drove me home. i went to bed and when i woke up the next morning i still feel a little high and paranoid from the weed. i woke up the next day still feeling like this and just thought maybe the weed stay in my system longer than expected, but as a week passed i started to get worried. i had never felt this feeling so i didnt even know how to describe or search it online. after a week or so i went to my moms house to visit and her apartment felt very unfamiliar. everything felt different. i felt detached from my surroundings. while i was at my moms i started noticing that my vision was snowy and constant worry from this condition was giving me constant headaches and i wasnt able to sleep. at this point i was doing some research and came across DP sypmtoms that almost described my feelings perfectly. i came across forums like these also with people telling their stories of DP and how its connected to weed. About one month into the DP symptoms i was finally able to sleep well again and the headaches subsided for the most part. my most prominent symptoms now are short term memory loss and the snowy vision. i occasionally feel unreal and detached but those moments dont last for long. i feel like some more anxiety has appeared at this point and i take organic anxiety medicine from the healthfood store that seems to help a little bit. i feel like im making progress each day but sometimes the anxiety becomes overwhelming and i feel hopeless. And from time to time i feel like im losing my identity but i try to stop those thoughts as soon as they start. to try my best to exercise being mindful. Sorry if this post is unorganized but thats how my thought have been laid out lately. Before all this happened i was a very low anxiety type person. very laid back and honestly if you were to mention anxiety i probably would have never knew what it was. i use to love talking to people. i valet park at a hotel and theres a lot of people that pass through and i love making connections with everybody that i can but ever since i got dp i get scared to talk to people because i cant remember what im saying and sometimes im focusing too hard on what they are saying so my mind just goes blank. at this point im almost just coping with it. im trying mybest to accept it and let it pass but some days are harder than others. Nights are the worst because another sypmtom i have is distortion in time perception so nights feel like they last forever. I am a very active person and i wake up every morning and run 5 miles 4-5 days a week . i definitely feel like that aspect of my life has helped me push through and keep hope. i also still try to keep all my relationships with my family in check. i go visit them weekly as usual and that helps keep my mind off things. feel free to give me some more pointers on how to keep hope and push through. i keep telling myself its temporary but sometimes my thoughts get the best of me. Thank you for any advice

·
Registered
978 Posts
Hey,

Well natural wise check out "holy grain of DP" - i'd advice this as you are so short into it, but then there is no proof of natural vs medicated at early stages, but personally even though it wasn't the cure, this approach is important, means not obsessing for a start on forums. Support is great, but for a while try and get back into the swing and lower your anxiety, it goes over how to do this well. If that (give it time) doesn't help, there is option B, medication.

Simply, you've defiantly spiked your anxiety with that one trip, best to leave that in the past and move forward. You by the sounds of it basically had a panic attack.

The one thing which most of us would kill for is you have it momentarily which most of us would kill for, i've not felt a non DP moment since it started, so i believe that is a great sign.

OBVS no more drugs, no weed.

Snowy Vision - I had this really bad for a year, it faded, what i did was a technique called exposure therapy, i don't believe this cured me of it, but it made it not anxious and over time it got better, it's still there in a room with loads of natural light, but i don't notice it unless i want to. The technique is kinda two steps, first step is kinda out stare it, just keep watching it every time you notice it until your anxiety doesn't care about it, it's just some snow. Once that's happened and you have the same base level as normal, then forget about it. It should blend into the background.

If it is extreme and I know how bad it can be, there is options, most i've written about actually in "Keppra can cure HPPD" and a few visual snow forums.

They basically are

Lamotrigine

Keppra

Clonazepam (not viable)

(then there is so many headache tablets... like Topmax etc)

I will go into more details but honestly, you need to live at least 6 months with it before i'd go near them, many people have it for a while and it fades

1 - 2 of 2 Posts