Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello...

Firstly, let me apologize for writing up a long first post. My nickname in real life is Kitten and I'm looking for some help. I'm 30 years old and a stay-at-home mom to a toddler.

I've been dealing with severe anxiety and DP/DR for a little over a year and a half now. My DP/DR started when I became obsessed over my health (always thought I was having a heart attack, urgent care 3x with clear results, etc), but my DP/DR got much, much worse when one night, instead of obsessing over my health, I had a random and horrible violent intrusive thought. I know that violent intrusive thoughts, and intrusive thoughts of all kinds, are anxiety-based and only perpetuate because of the attention we give to them...but that knowledge was not enough to shake the awful thoughts I'd have. I basically spent most of 2016 in a DP/DR haze...but most of my anxiety was based on the intrusive thoughts. I went to the doctor in March 2016 because I thought that maybe an antidepressant would help my issues. My doc prescribed me Prozac and I took it for roughly 2 months before I stopped taking it as I felt it wasn't working and was actually making my DP/DR worse.

Come September 2016, a friend of mine online told me about a supplement known as inositol, which is supposedly good for OCD-related issues. I started taking it and within about 6 weeks, I would say I was 70% recovered. It was so relieving to be somewhat back to normal after being in total hell for 7+ months.

June 2017, despite not changing my dose of inositol (and taking the highest dose possible: 18 grams), my anxiety symptoms slowly started returning. Now, I wouldn't say my anxiety is focused on harm-o intrusive thoughts anymore, though I do get them from time to time, but it's almost totally focused now on my DP/DR symptoms. The scariest feeling for me is looking at people around me and not recognizing them...like...okay, I know that's my husband, my daughter and my mother...but....are they....they look weird and unreal??? That type of weird and irrational thinking. It's the hardest when I look at my daughter and feel like I don't recognize her despite the fact that I know who she is. It's horrifying, honestly and I've been crying almost every day for the past 2 months.

My symptoms include:

-feeling unreal, dreamy and almost "confused" for lack of a better word most of the day.

-questioning if everything around me is real.

-feeling like I'm going to dissociate to the point of blacking out or fainting (though this has never happened, knock wood).

-my DP/DR is pretty much there all day everyday, but it gets much, much worse when out in public.

-questioning random stuff...like...why do we have memories, how do our brains power our whole body, why do people look the way they do, why does everything look the way it does...? but also feeling major anxiety when questioning these things because...like...I shouldn't be questioning this type of stuff.

-feeling like I'm having memory lapses.

-having panic attacks over the fact that "what if" I forgot a memory, and I will literally sit there for awhile until I can remember everything possible about a specific moment. Not sure if that makes any sense, but basically, I get anxiety over the fact that memories are such weird things and that I should also be remembering everything to be sure it was even real.

-having a fear that I'm going crazy or losing touch with reality - that one day my brain will finally have had enough and like, I'll start having hallucinations or something awful like that.

-feeling disconnected from emotions - I basically just feel anxious and depressed most of the day (and I feel depressed because I'm anxious all the darn time).

-my DP/DR will sometimes come in waves, if this makes sense...like, I'll be somewhat unreal and dreamy...but kinda fine....and then, I'll panic over being unreal and dreamy and I'll feel like I'm about to snap or go hysterical or something until I literally have to sit down and calm myself down.

-feeling numb and fogged, like i'm looking through a warped piece of glass at the world.

-lights bother me and make my DP/DR worse, and very crowded stores (whether it's a store crowded with people or merchandise).

-feeling the need to run and get out of a situation when the DP/DR hits hard...and if I'm home, this is usually the time I start crying because I can't just leave.

-having a fear that some day my DP/DR will get so bad that I won't be able to function and will be hospitalized.

-being afraid that I'll forget the time and day, which triggers me to always be conscious of what time and day it is and panicking if I forget even for a moment.

-feeling spaced out and zoned out...especially when DP/DR is at its worst and I'm questioning weird crap like "why does the brain work the way it does?" and then getting anxious over such a weird thought.

-questioning my ability to speak clearly and correctly...afraid I might start jabbering nonsensical things because of DP/DR....I find myself questioning the weirdness that is language.

-not being able to look forward to the day or enjoy anything I do despite wanting to.

-I also have a thing, maybe OCD-related, where I count four fingers on my hand when feeling especially unreal to kind of connect my mind with my body...even though it doesn't really provide any relief. Not sure why I even do it.

This is all I can think of for now. My DP/DR is very anxiety-based...I've become anxious over the symptoms of DP/DR and because of this, it's become a constant cycle of worrying and fear. I've tried keeping myself busy and distracting myself, but if it does help, it only helps for a few minutes to a couple hours depending on what I'm doing. One of the worst things I do to distract myself is shop online, and it's starting to have an impact on our finances. I'm also a stay-at-home mom, which I explained earlier, so I spend pretty much 10+ hours alone in the house while hubby is at work 5 days a week. My toddler keeps me busy, but it's not a mentally-stimulating busy if that makes any sense. I don't have a car to get out and honestly, not sure if I could convince myself to drive anyway as my perception of the world feels very "off"...I haven't driven in over a year.

I've tried making an appointment with about 4 different psych offices in my area and none of them are accepting new patients. The one had a wait list of about 5 months and the other psychologist I talked to said his wait list was so long, he wouldn't even add me to it. A good friend of mine told me my issues could be hormone related, so I've made an appointment to get my hormones checked this Tuesday at the doctor just to rule that out.

Instead of continuing to ramble on....(and thanks to anyone who has gotten down this far, haha!) my questions are:

Is anyone here familiar with the supplement known as inositol? This stuff saved me for about 8 months before my symptoms came back...but I cannot for the life of me find any information online about the possibility of a tolerance forming. Inositol is a vitamin supplement...and as far as I know, you don't form a tolerance to vitamins....?

I've read many articles and watched many a Youtube video on DP/DR and the best ways to get rid of it. The most prominent thing I've read is to "stop reading about it, stop talking about it and most of all, stop thinking about it." and I try...god have I tried. There was maybe about 3 days a week ago that I thought I was on the right track. I kept using the "so what...don't scare yourself and don't get overwhelmed by it" approach and it was working...and then last Tuesday, I don't know if it was my DP/DR or the fact that I was extra tired...but I looked at my daughter, didn't recognize her and got that unreal feeling again, and it all came back to me in literally a second and I couldn't shake it.

What can I do to help this issue? I've cut out all caffeine (and haven't drank the stuff in about a year) to help with anxiety and have even cut out artificial sweeteners due to a friend telling me how "harmful" they can be to physical and mental health. Any tips, advice?...and I know I'm new here and hope I don't sound crazy. I haven't read through many posts and not sure if my symptoms are at all even relevant to DP/DR and what everyone else is experiencing.

All I know is DP/DR is really affecting my life and the fact that I've dealt with it for the majority of my daughter's life (since she turned one and she is now two and a half) is beyond heartbreaking to me. I feel like this is the time I should be the happiest, and I'm trying so hard to fight and get back to my old self, but I can't get a grip.

I also want to make note that I dealt with a similar issue back when I was 17. It lasted for about 5 months (constant harm-o thoughts with DP/DR mixed in), but it totally ended when I started working and went to college. Unfortunately, I don't have the option to do the same now with a toddler and full-time working husband who takes our only car to work. Any suggestions?

Thank you all who took the time to read my post and I hope to hear something back from someone soon. Have a great start to your week tomorrow and thanks again :)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Heya! I'm sorry you're still suffering so much after a year! If you want to, message me, I'm happy to help =)

·
Registered
168 Posts
I post this advice a lot: The symptoms you've related are consistent with what is seen in those with a dissociative disorder (in most cases thought to arise from adverse childhood events), but of course only a comprehensive evaluation can determine if an underlying dissociative disorder is present. However, most psychiatrists are not dissociation-aware, so here are some possible next steps:

1) Look over the website www.strangerinthemirror.com, and perhaps read the book by that same name mentioned there, as this will be a low-cost look at whether or not you identify with the hidden symptoms as described there. There are five screening tests the book has regarding dissociative phenomena that you may be experiencing (Dp,DR, and dissociative amnesia for one's autobiographical history, ie, memory lapses, being several of those self tests). Reading the book and taking the self-tests could help you in relating symptoms to a health professional.

2) Check out the "find-a-therapist" link at the dissociation society website: http://www.isst-d.org/default.asp?contentID=18 Most therapists out in the world are not yet dissociation-aware, so this listing should help you identify those who are. Dissociative disorders, if you have one, have a good prospect for recovery WITHOUT a lifetime of medications, assuming you find a dissociation-aware therapist that is right for you, and assuming you are motivated for the insight-oriented therapy that looks at one's lifetime of dissociating experiences.

·
Registered
117 Posts
That's how my dpdr began! Major health anxiety (couldn't breathe properly for a month, went to the er and urgent care multiple times. Literally thought I was going to suffocate, have a heart attack or had cancer, ????????‍♀ Found out after I ended up majorly disassociating that all it was dislocated ribs that no doctor had the sense to think of and here I am 6 months later ????????????) but I hope things improve for you! Good luck! It doesn't last forever! Feel free to message me xoxo

·
Registered
568 Posts
This is how my dr dp started from health anxiety but my health anxiety was not a physical fear it was a mental fear , I scared my self into thinking i was going to go psychotic .
I've had health anxiety plus ocd harm thoughts for many years i also have the typical ocd contamination fears .
Im 33 now my first panic attack was at 15 years old which then triggered my health anxiety about pretty much every single body organ , my heart , lungs , brain , liver every thing .
Have you done cognitive behavior therapy yet it does work , for ocd and health anxiety. I use the cognitive behavior therapy daily well i try my hardest.
Message me if you need to chat .

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello...

Firstly, let me apologize for writing up a long first post. My nickname in real life is Kitten and I'm looking for some help. I'm 30 years old and a stay-at-home mom to a toddler.

I've been dealing with severe anxiety and DP/DR for a little over a year and a half now. My DP/DR started when I became obsessed over my health (always thought I was having a heart attack, urgent care 3x with clear results, etc), but my DP/DR got much, much worse when one night, instead of obsessing over my health, I had a random and horrible violent intrusive thought. I know that violent intrusive thoughts, and intrusive thoughts of all kinds, are anxiety-based and only perpetuate because of the attention we give to them...but that knowledge was not enough to shake the awful thoughts I'd have. I basically spent most of 2016 in a DP/DR haze...but most of my anxiety was based on the intrusive thoughts. I went to the doctor in March 2016 because I thought that maybe an antidepressant would help my issues. My doc prescribed me Prozac and I took it for roughly 2 months before I stopped taking it as I felt it wasn't working and was actually making my DP/DR worse.

Come September 2016, a friend of mine online told me about a supplement known as inositol, which is supposedly good for OCD-related issues. I started taking it and within about 6 weeks, I would say I was 70% recovered. It was so relieving to be somewhat back to normal after being in total hell for 7+ months.

June 2017, despite not changing my dose of inositol (and taking the highest dose possible: 18 grams), my anxiety symptoms slowly started returning. Now, I wouldn't say my anxiety is focused on harm-o intrusive thoughts anymore, though I do get them from time to time, but it's almost totally focused now on my DP/DR symptoms. The scariest feeling for me is looking at people around me and not recognizing them...like...okay, I know that's my husband, my daughter and my mother...but....are they....they look weird and unreal??? That type of weird and irrational thinking. It's the hardest when I look at my daughter and feel like I don't recognize her despite the fact that I know who she is. It's horrifying, honestly and I've been crying almost every day for the past 2 months.

My symptoms include:

-feeling unreal, dreamy and almost "confused" for lack of a better word most of the day.

-questioning if everything around me is real.

-feeling like I'm going to dissociate to the point of blacking out or fainting (though this has never happened, knock wood).

-my DP/DR is pretty much there all day everyday, but it gets much, much worse when out in public.

-questioning random stuff...like...why do we have memories, how do our brains power our whole body, why do people look the way they do, why does everything look the way it does...? but also feeling major anxiety when questioning these things because...like...I shouldn't be questioning this type of stuff.

-feeling like I'm having memory lapses.

-having panic attacks over the fact that "what if" I forgot a memory, and I will literally sit there for awhile until I can remember everything possible about a specific moment. Not sure if that makes any sense, but basically, I get anxiety over the fact that memories are such weird things and that I should also be remembering everything to be sure it was even real.

-having a fear that I'm going crazy or losing touch with reality - that one day my brain will finally have had enough and like, I'll start having hallucinations or something awful like that.

-feeling disconnected from emotions - I basically just feel anxious and depressed most of the day (and I feel depressed because I'm anxious all the darn time).

-my DP/DR will sometimes come in waves, if this makes sense...like, I'll be somewhat unreal and dreamy...but kinda fine....and then, I'll panic over being unreal and dreamy and I'll feel like I'm about to snap or go hysterical or something until I literally have to sit down and calm myself down.

-feeling numb and fogged, like i'm looking through a warped piece of glass at the world.

-lights bother me and make my DP/DR worse, and very crowded stores (whether it's a store crowded with people or merchandise).

-feeling the need to run and get out of a situation when the DP/DR hits hard...and if I'm home, this is usually the time I start crying because I can't just leave.

-having a fear that some day my DP/DR will get so bad that I won't be able to function and will be hospitalized.

-being afraid that I'll forget the time and day, which triggers me to always be conscious of what time and day it is and panicking if I forget even for a moment.

-feeling spaced out and zoned out...especially when DP/DR is at its worst and I'm questioning weird crap like "why does the brain work the way it does?" and then getting anxious over such a weird thought.

-questioning my ability to speak clearly and correctly...afraid I might start jabbering nonsensical things because of DP/DR....I find myself questioning the weirdness that is language.

-not being able to look forward to the day or enjoy anything I do despite wanting to.

-I also have a thing, maybe OCD-related, where I count four fingers on my hand when feeling especially unreal to kind of connect my mind with my body...even though it doesn't really provide any relief. Not sure why I even do it.

This is all I can think of for now. My DP/DR is very anxiety-based...I've become anxious over the symptoms of DP/DR and because of this, it's become a constant cycle of worrying and fear. I've tried keeping myself busy and distracting myself, but if it does help, it only helps for a few minutes to a couple hours depending on what I'm doing. One of the worst things I do to distract myself is shop online, and it's starting to have an impact on our finances. I'm also a stay-at-home mom, which I explained earlier, so I spend pretty much 10+ hours alone in the house while hubby is at work 5 days a week. My toddler keeps me busy, but it's not a mentally-stimulating busy if that makes any sense. I don't have a car to get out and honestly, not sure if I could convince myself to drive anyway as my perception of the world feels very "off"...I haven't driven in over a year.

I've tried making an appointment with about 4 different psych offices in my area and none of them are accepting new patients. The one had a wait list of about 5 months and the other psychologist I talked to said his wait list was so long, he wouldn't even add me to it. A good friend of mine told me my issues could be hormone related, so I've made an appointment to get my hormones checked this Tuesday at the doctor just to rule that out.

Instead of continuing to ramble on....(and thanks to anyone who has gotten down this far, haha!) my questions are:

Is anyone here familiar with the supplement known as inositol? This stuff saved me for about 8 months before my symptoms came back...but I cannot for the life of me find any information online about the possibility of a tolerance forming. Inositol is a vitamin supplement...and as far as I know, you don't form a tolerance to vitamins....?

I've read many articles and watched many a Youtube video on DP/DR and the best ways to get rid of it. The most prominent thing I've read is to "stop reading about it, stop talking about it and most of all, stop thinking about it." and I try...god have I tried. There was maybe about 3 days a week ago that I thought I was on the right track. I kept using the "so what...don't scare yourself and don't get overwhelmed by it" approach and it was working...and then last Tuesday, I don't know if it was my DP/DR or the fact that I was extra tired...but I looked at my daughter, didn't recognize her and got that unreal feeling again, and it all came back to me in literally a second and I couldn't shake it.

What can I do to help this issue? I've cut out all caffeine (and haven't drank the stuff in about a year) to help with anxiety and have even cut out artificial sweeteners due to a friend telling me how "harmful" they can be to physical and mental health. Any tips, advice?...and I know I'm new here and hope I don't sound crazy. I haven't read through many posts and not sure if my symptoms are at all even relevant to DP/DR and what everyone else is experiencing.

All I know is DP/DR is really affecting my life and the fact that I've dealt with it for the majority of my daughter's life (since she turned one and she is now two and a half) is beyond heartbreaking to me. I feel like this is the time I should be the happiest, and I'm trying so hard to fight and get back to my old self, but I can't get a grip.

I also want to make note that I dealt with a similar issue back when I was 17. It lasted for about 5 months (constant harm-o thoughts with DP/DR mixed in), but it totally ended when I started working and went to college. Unfortunately, I don't have the option to do the same now with a toddler and full-time working husband who takes our only car to work. Any suggestions?

Thank you all who took the time to read my post and I hope to hear something back from someone soon. Have a great start to your week tomorrow and thanks again :)
Hi! I know these symptoms oh so well. I'm new to this site.. but I've experienced DP off and on since I was...ohh jeez.. middle school. It's a horrible feeling and its to the point where I question if this website and or other sites I've been on regarding DP really exist or is it all apart of this unreality chaos that's flowing in my head. I've been taking Prozac for almost a week now and I feel like some of the anxiety has lifted but the DP is still there. Anyone experience more snow vision and ear ringing with DP or is something more serious going on with me?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Okay, so...I know I'm new to this site but I am adamant on beating this thing! This is going to be a somewhat long post...but I'm hoping that I can both help myself and other people here as well.

Okay, so first of all, I've been reading a ton of stuff on DP/DR for weeks now. Everything I'm reading is saying the same thing: the way to cure your issues and get on with your life is to distract yourself and stop obsessing over the thoughts, feelings, sensations, etc.

Personally, I've come to the conclusion for myself (and maybe you, too...anyone who is reading this) that DP/DR starts for a few reasons:

-extreme anxiety, whether this is related to health anxiety, OCD-harm thoughts or pure-o thoughts, chronic stress, etc.
-a stagnancy in your life. your life has hit, essentially, a dead end and you need to make some changes. an example of this would be someone in a dead end relationship or someone living with their parents who dreams of moving out someday, etc.
-extreme boredom. you're not mentally stimulated enough on a daily basis, so your mind is going to keep you mentally stimulated.
-loneliness. the two times DP/DR hit me (back when I was 17 and now that I'm 30) it was when I was spending most of my time/day alone in the house. Back when I was 17, I graduated school early and stayed home alone while both parents worked full time. I was fine...for roughly 5 months until one day, I got hit with harm-o thoughts and DP/DR. It didn't lift until we moved and I began both working and going to school. Now, my DP/DR as well as the harm-o thoughts returned because I'm a stay-at-home mom with a full-time working husband, so I spend a good majority of my day at home feeling both bored and lonely. You can only have so much of a conversation with a two-year-old, haha!

I have also read a lot of articles saying that dissociation and DP/DR are related to past trauma. I can understand this to an extent. I'm sure we all have something we can think of from childhood that kinda screwed us up. For me, I had parents who spent more time with their businesses than with their children. I am also a victim of pedophilia; I was 13 years old and chatted with a 25 year old man online regularly who would send nudes, etc until my mom found out, freaked out and basically banned me from using a computer for like two or three years. So yeah, we all have weird stuff from our past. And I know this causes us with DP/DR to have a tendency to dissociate and deal with this stuff when under extreme stress, but it does not have anything to do with the fact that we're now obsessing over it day in and day out.

I truly think that people with our issues are very obsessive people. I'm sure you all can name several things that you do or have done in the past that could be considered obsessive. You might obsess over random things and you've been told you're a "worry wart". I think one thing we all have in common is that we're obsessive individuals. We dealt with some type of stress in our life and it snowballed from there. For me, my DP/DR started when I began experiencing harm-o thoughts, aka: violent intrusive thoughts. Now, I'm mainly obsessed with having DP/DR day in and day out.

Okay...so here we go. I'm going to try to beat this once and for all and get my life back. My daughter shouldn't be seeing her mom cry all the time and there's no reason for me to be like this just because I'm a bored, lonely housewife. You all can try this with me, too.

Here is what I'm going to do every day to slowly beat this thing:

-Whenever you feel unreal, dreamy or feel like everything/everyone around you is foreign, divert your attention. Do not continue thinking about it. Immediately tell yourself "don't get overwhelmed" and think about something else - anything.

-Whenever you feel DP/DR starting to pull you in, say "nope, I'm real." and do whatever you were doing. "Nope, don't have time for this nonsense."

-Whenever you get depressed over your situation, get that sinking pitting feeling in your stomach because you feel sad about the way you are (most people with anxiety are also depressed people), remember that you can use the same method: don't get overwhelmed and remember the more you think about being depressed and "woe is me", the worse it feels.

-Don't dwell on any feeling or thought. It's there, That's fine. Move on with your life.

-Whenever you start getting existential thoughts (what is the world? why are people the way they are? why do things look the way they do?), divert your attention and remember that the more you think about things like this, the more anxious you'll become and the more "spaced out" you'll feel.

-The key is to pull yourself out of the feeling. Do not allow yourself to fall into the hole that is DP/DR. It literally is a hole, if you think of it. It starts with one thought, feeling, sensation, etc and the reason it perpetuates is because we continue thinking of it.

-DP/DR cannot hurt you. It is a product of anxiety and also a product of you constantly obsessing over it. You know, I can make my tooth hurt right now despite there not being a problem if I convinced myself that it hurt and thought about nothing but my tooth. A similar story happened awhile ago to me. I thought I had something wrong with my thyroid because a doctor told me I could possibly have a thyroid problem. I had blood work done and while waiting for the results, do you know that I literally had to put an ice pack on my throat because it FELT swollen; it was all I could think about. My blood work came back and voila, nothing wrong with my thyroid. The "swelling" feeling went away almost immediately. The reason your symptoms are all still there is because you're giving them so much attention.

-There is nothing neurologically/mentally wrong with you. What's wrong with you is that you're an obsessive person with too much mental time on their hands. You have become obsessed over a product of anxiety, which in turn perpetuates the cycle of anxiety.

-The moment you feel yourself spacing out, get up and do something else.

-Spend more time with friends, family and try to have different conversations. I know how hard this is because I'm pretty darn sure my hubby and mom are both equally tired of my rants about how I'm feeling, how off I feel, etc...but talking about your issues constantly only perpetuates the cycle of thinking about your issues.

-No matter how weird and off you feel, do something you enjoy. Spend time with the family, make love more often, exercise even if you question if you're a real person (you are a real person), take a walk, play with the kids, organize your cupboards, take care of the lawn.

-Use the "who cares" method. Who cares if you kinda spaced out and don't know what time it is? Who cares if you put something somewhere and forgot that you put it there? Most of the time, the reason you're so spacey is because you're all in your head. All of your attention is in your head and on your thoughts, no wonder you feel so disconnected from the world around you.

-Allow yourself to get excited again. Get excited over a day off, going out, etc. Think about things you can do that are exciting and rejuvenating or relaxing.

-Try to sleep more than you do. I know for me, being a relatively new mom, I don't sleep good or often enough at all. I'm lucky if I get a solid 6 hours a night without waking up two, three or four times in between. When you're overtired, your DP/DR will get worse because the brain gets foggy when in a tired state. They say that being tired and driving is the equivalent to being tipsy and driving...it's the same feeling.

-Use the "this is stupid" mentality. "It's stupid to get so upset over these issues."

Here are some other things I'm thinking of:

-For someone who feels like they're so unreal, you've been living the same "unreality" day in and day out. This, in turn, makes your "unreality" quite real and routine, no matter how strange it seems.

-For someone who questions their own ability to function, you are able to get online and seek help specifically for an issue you have researched and read about on your own.

-The more you read about this issue, the more energy you give it...the more you think about it, which in turn perpetuates the cycle of thinking and obsessing. Get off this site. Get off of Google.

-The reason you "space out" and "zone out" is because you're only thinking about your issues. Get back into the moment, no matter how weird or unreal it feels.

-Use the "it is what it is" motto when you begin ruminating over random thoughts. How does the brain work the way it does? I don't know, it is what it is. Deep thinking is not necessary, especially if it makes you anxious.

-No matter how hard it is right this minute or how bad you feel, take solace in the fact that you've been here before and got through it.

-Getting out of this is not going to be an overnight thing. You won't suddenly have a breakthrough moment and wake up and be back to normal. It takes work, it takes a constant vigilance of pulling yourself out of the hole that is DP/DR. It takes a lot of work to train your brain to think differently. Your obsession over DP/DR is a formed habit. You've trained your brain to think about it constantly. That's why you wake up in the morning and it's the first thing you think about. But remember, you are in control of your brain and can change a habit: IE: the way you think.

-Medications and supplements may work, but they probably won't last. It was in my case: I took a supplement that helped tremendously and then stopped working 8 months later, causing me to go back to the way I was. What helped me long-term in the past was changing my situation: IE: starting work and going to school and not spending so much time alone at home bored out of my mind.

-Stop spending so much time on your devices. I know for me, when I use my computer or tablet, my DP/DR gets worse. I'm not sure if it's because the stuff I do online is kinda boring and menial or if my focus is totally off of what's around me, but it's difficult and causes me a lot of anxiety....almost like the "spaced out" feeling after I get offline after being on for even just a few minutes.

-Deep breaths. Five seconds inhale, 10 seconds exhale.

-Nothing you're doing or do is worsening your DP/DR. I stopped consuming caffeine because I heard it makes anxiety worse, but yet five years ago when I didn't have even an ounce of DP/DR...I drank Pepsi all day, every day.

-Take solace in the fact that you're not alone. That there are other people out there who have your condition, too. That smiling mother who looks so happy and busy in the supermarket buying diapers and food for her toddler? That's me.

I wish you all the very best. I'm probably going to log off of this site and stop coming on because I know the more I read about this subject or talk about it, it just continues the cycle of obsessing over what's wrong with me. I wish you all the best and hope that my method can help someone else. Much love to you all <3

One last thing I want to tell you all. I dealt with this stuff back when I was 17. It lasted for 5 months before I basically pulled myself out of it (stopped being alone all day and instead started working and going to school). Do you know that despite feeling so unreal, dreamy and disconnected back then and questioning my sanity and ability to remember and function, those five months are some of the most memorable I have in my whole life. If you asked me what I did five years ago on Christmas when I wasn't dealing with DP/DR and anxiety...hell, I don't know if I could even tell you. I don't remember it. But if you asked me what I did on March 17 during the five months I was dealing with DP/DR and extreme anxiety back when I was 17, I'd be able to tell you exactly what I did that day. So, please, use this time to still do things. You won't forget about anything when you come out of it, I promise. In fact, you're going to find that the things you did in the month, year or decade that you had DP/DR are more memorable than when you weren't dealing with DP/DR.

Good luck, everyone <3

1 - 7 of 7 Posts