Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am concerned. My med (Effexor) for the most part has been very good, any side effects are minor or at least they do not cause me any alarm. I have been on it two months and combined with a little self therapy I have not felt anxious/depressed and have mostly been without dp for over a month.

This week, I have been unable to go without nearly 11 hours sleep a night, needing naps in the day, and could literally sleep on a clothes line. Anytime anywhere.

Two months ago when I got back off holiday, I returned to find a dodgy smell in my bedroom.(!) To this day, I still get whiffs of it, but have no idea where it came from. Until tonight, when I found a broken mercury thermometer, behind a chest of drawers. I did not know mercury was so harmful so probably touched it and my boyfriend tried to hoover it up (which is the worst thing you can do) and the house was filled with a rancid smell. After the obligatory obsessive scouring of the net, and discovering that we couldn't have dealt with it worse, we cut the carpet out and have chucked the hoover out. Basically, I am extremely concerned that what I thought was the side effects of Effexor, is actually mercury poisoning, as I have effectively been sleeping in toxic vapour for 2 months. Any internet sites say the same thing, that thermometer spillages are dangerous, especially if not cleared up immediately. They then list some symptoms, shaky hands, tiredness being just some.

I know that I am prone to thinking that everything applies to me. I know that the worst thing to do is ask for reassurance as it only fuels it, but sod it - has anybody here taken Effexor and literally been like a zombie? Also, is anybody here a chemist who can put my mind at rest about the mercury? I really want it to be my hypochondria but the damned internet has put the fear of god in me. Rational, scientific points of view, anyone please.

·
Registered
723 Posts
when i was a kid i broke a mercury thermometer and hid it under the cupboard. no one in the house got sick.

G

·
why don't you ask your doctor?

I remember when i was little, there was this certain brand of shoes that lit up when you walked and they contained Mercury. Well i guess kids started getting cancer and come to find out it was because of the shoes. Needless to say i never wanted to wear the shoes after hearing about that. Im not trying to scare you or anything, im just saying that from what ive HEARD, Mercury CAN be a dangerous thing.

I'd ask your doctor though

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for replying. I am going to speak to the doc tomorrow. My brother is a biochemist and said it should be fine, but he doesnt work with mercury,He said just to ventilate the house really well etc but he was shocked when I read out the stuff to him on the internet.
oh well nothing I can do until tomorrow. except fret, toss and turn throughout the night in a cold sweat.......

pdr, that is quite reassuring, actually

G

·
Wow, very interesting, I must say. But I have a feeling the fear of mercury poisoning from a broken thermometer fallen behind a dresser across the room is the Mercury Version of "I'm feeling unreality, do I have schizophrenia?"

If it was THAT easy to make someone ill or kill them from a tiny amount of inhaled mercury, it would be a murder weapon of choice by many many spouses, and we'd be reading about it daily in the papers. In all seriousness, I imagine you'd have to inhale the mercury directly from your bed pillow for a few months to really do anything to you.

grin,
Janine

·
Registered
291 Posts
When I was a kid and before anybody knew any better we used to play with mercury from a broken thermometer, letting it roll around on our hands and watching the little beads collect together. I think I may even have brought some to school for show and tell. It really was kind of cool.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I also remember a used cotton candy machine found at a yard sale that we had fun with for a while. In it there was a little asbestos bowl that you would melt sugar in before spinning it around. This was kind of cool too.

Of course this is data of no consequence, but I have been extraordinarly healthy all my life, and dispite taking very bad care of myself, I have had no health issues of any kind except this reality thing, that hit me at about the same age and with the same symptoms we are all familiar with.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
It's not so much the reassurance of the benign-ness of your exposure to mercury that is important, it is the realization that this kind of worrying is an OCD symptom.

If you truly feel, without the help of internet sources, that you are in immanent danger of something you will know it and it will be different than something you're afraid of because too much knowledge has been crammed into your brain.

Basically if you have to THINK about and OBSESS about it you're not in actual danger and you have not been poisoned. If you actually had something happen that you knew in your heart was dangerous you would take action without giving much thought or effort in deciding.

Part of this whole thing is that we want to recover so perfectly and so carefully that we can't let anything get in our way, especially chemicals that we are convinced will change our mental map when we're busy recovering. That's obsession. It's part of what needs to go away.
It's hard for people w/OCD symptoms (like me!) to go with our hearts on the matter because we have sources left and right saying that this or that will hurt us.

Let me put it this way. Imagine you're seven years old. No internet, you don't know too many big words, and you're probably busy chasing boys around the playground. If this had happened when you were seven, would you have given two seconds' thought about it? Or would you have gone on with your life?

Truth is, a million and one little things have happened to you that some schmo with a domain name will say are dangerous to your very being, but most of them you've ignored. If you didn't ignore them you'd probably be albino from never leaving your house and walking outside.

Make some sense?

A good book I would suggest is "Brain Lock" and I don't remember who wrote it but do an amazon search for it.

You're so busy trying to prevent any future happening or disaster that you have OCD symptoms that say do this do that make sure double check so that way you feel you are prepared for the future when in reality you're prepared only for this fantasy of a future you have constructed in your mind and THAT removes you further from reality and makes you DP'd.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
BTW I hope you're not thinking I'm accusing you of OCD...I'm more giving you a possible lead to prevent you from tying your mind into a pretzel.

Just as long as you don't go visit those damn Scientologists who will charge you $1500 for a "cleanse", you'll be fine :)

G

·
Mercury is odorless. Might want to check for something else causing the aroma................ Also, mercury is liquid at room temperature, or any other temperature typical for the surface of the earth. You have not been inhaling it, except in the rare case it has come into contact with a chloride compound. Otherwise, a very, very high temp. is required to cause it to achieve vapor form.
Also, I assume you have a mirror or two in the place? There is likely more mercury used as backing on the glass than what spilled (aside from being nifty for thermometers, it also has wonderful reflective properties and is cheaper than most other metals for the use).
I would think unless you actually cleaned the mercury up with your tongue...........you are going to be fine.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
sc said
I would think unless you actually cleaned the mercury up with your tongue...........you are going to be fine.
Well Lordy be sc, you know your mercury, LOL.

I remember back in Chem class, someone had gotten ahold of a ball of mercury that we all played with for a week -- yes dalailama it is indeed cool stuff -- and I'm still here to tell the tale.

And after we were done with it we left it in someone's locker. Is this possible? Or yet another fond screen memory of the good old days? 8)

And dalailama:
I also remember a used cotton candy machine found at a yard sale that we had fun with for a while. In it there was a little asbestos bowl that you would melt sugar in before spinning it around. This was kind of cool too.

Of course this is data of no consequence, but I have been extraordinarly healthy all my life, and dispite taking very bad care of myself, I have had no health issues of any kind except this reality thing, that hit me at about the same age and with the same symptoms we are all familiar with.
I'm laughing and crying at the same time.....

Wow.

g-funk, this reminds of a story Andy (original Board administrator) told me. I think he had a great deal on a flat in a house, but the landlord broke the lease contract. Andy took prawns and stuffed them in the curtain rods throughout the house... took the money and run.

Dodgy smell! LOLOLOLOL. I think you will be fine. Look for prawns!

Best,
D :shock:
ACH, now I can't get to bed again.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks so much for the replies.

I am fully aware that I am obsessive so don't worry person 3 - you didnt offend me! Thank you for your advice - I will look that book up. I know that my reaction to what I read on the internet was not a healthy reaction, but I guess Im worried about being the boy who cried wolf. Its difficult to know when that self preservation mechanism is working correctly or not!

You are right sc, mercury is odourless, but the smell definitely came from the broken thermometer, (I gave it a good sniff) and when we hoovered it up, the house was filled with the smell that almost took our breath away. I wonder what the smell was? Its likely that the only danger we were exposed to was when we heated it up with the hoover. (A big no-no apparently) Now, being at the far end of the garden, all the little bunny rabbits and moles are probably tripping their nuts off.

This morning I am not really obsessing over it, just annoyed that a careless mistake could make me or my boyfriend ill. Is this all part of trying to control my future? Can you tell me more about this person 3? Last week, I got very upset when I convinced myself that my Dad was really ill, he was going to get results for a chest xray, and I basically convinced myself of the worst. He was ok, but it made me realise that I have a massive fear of losing loved ones etc. I've always felt like I love too much, if you know what I mean? Waiting for people to come home, clock watching etc. Recently I have recognised the futility of this and no longer clock watch when my boyf is due home. Do you have any ideas on how this may relate to my ocd? Trying to control this fear perhaps with compulsions?

You guys are the best (getting emotional!!!!!)- I really appreciate the response to my mercury fear, seeing as it wasn't that dp related.

G-funk xxxxx

ps - I am definitely going to limit my internet usage!!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
For me I have a fear (regarding loved ones) of them dying before I ever express my true love for them. I'm too scared to just love them so I need them around to wait until That Day.

Hmm...more later!

·
Registered
291 Posts
I do want to add, however, (after a little research myself) that any amount of spilled mercury should be taken seriuosly, and that handling it as a child could have been very dangerous. Here's this from the EPA:

When liquid mercury is spilled, it forms droplets that can accumulate in the tiniest of spaces and then emit vapors into the air. Health problems caused by mercury depend on how much has entered your body, how it entered your body, how long you have been exposed to it, and how your body responds to the mercury. All mercury spills, regardless of quantity, should be treated seriously.

Mercury concentrations in air are usually low and of little direct concern.( :!: ) But when mercury enters water, biological processes transform it to a highly toxic form that builds up in fish and animals that eat fish. People are exposed to mercury primarily by eating fish.
Health-type people advise against having mercury thermometers, and now that there are accurate alternatives, all mercury thermometers should be discontinued, just to be sure. It is recommended that if any mercury is spilled, one should contact one's local health department. (I don't wan't any of you out there giving your kids mercury to play with :) )

G

·
Mercury thermometers are not as dangerous as vapors of molecules containing molecules because there isn't electron exchange and the density is high. I don't want to enter in tehcnicality here.

But elementary mercury vapor on air could be dangerous if the exposition is long enough. Hoovering is a very bad idea, but the vaporisation of elemntary mercury is pretty low. The symptoms after getting rid of the source should stop in a week or so, if they continue I dough that your symptoms are caused by this.

·
Registered
723 Posts
more like doknow

1 - 16 of 16 Posts