Depersonalization Support Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone!
I am new here and would to to share my story with DP//DR. My first trigger was when i was around 11-13 years old looking at the mirror. It felt i couldnt understand what im or who was.The deeper i look the worse it got. . I was free from it it from almost 13 years and it came back a month ago. i had minor episodes but will go away after distractions. This only effects me if i think of it. But would go away if get distracted. since last month nothing seems to get me distracted. It could also be triggered by anything like eating a type of fruit or looking out the window when raining. It affects me also when walking in a calm quite place where everyone else would enjoy. Feela like my reallty living stopped a month ago and now i just do normal stuiff to look normal but deep down inside I am far from normal. What I wonder is this a neurological issue or not. Doctors always refer us to a psychiatrist but are they really good at solving the problems we have.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hello and welcome. :)

Its seems your stuck in dpdr's OCD type of thought loop. Once you start to notice how strange everything feels, it tends to get harder to let go and more and more confusing of what reality is. It can become a lingering feeling 24/7 if it becomes cronic. Anything can trigger it at some point because after a while you become hyper focused on your surroundings because reality seems different. I found in my own experiance that not taking the feeling so seriously helped reduce it over time along with a few other strategies.

What I wonder is this a neurological issue or not. Doctors always refer us to a psychiatrist but are they really good at solving the problems we have.
Your dpdr may be caused by all sorts of things but the biggest trigger is stress for most. It can also be caused by poor nutrition, health, epilepsy, medications and recreational drugs to name a few...sometimes its can even seem to appear out of nowhere for some.
As for mental health professionals, some can help, some cant, and it also depends on if your the type of person that those treatments can help. Some people are more resistant to treatment than others. Its really just depends but for some, after trial and error, lots of people find some relief, though not always a cure.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts