Depersonalization Support Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tell my parents about DPDR but they are not listening to me they are like "DPDR is not a thing internet says bullshit you are like this because you played too much video games "

·
Registered
49 Posts
My mum is kinda like that she doesn't really believe in mental illness because it has increased so much recently and basically says our generation are pussys and need to be more resilient. I think we're resilient to stay strong through this crap and not to give up

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Previous generation (our parents) tend to be extremely narrow minded....I know mine are....In fact their narrow mindedness played a role in my mental ill health...Simply because when i was younger I would constantly be told I was wrong or wasnt doing things right or didnt have the right opinion...Or worse still that crying was wrong and that worrying was just all in my head and that I needed to man up and ignore it....

Ive since discovered the opposite was true...I was doing things right and I do have opinions that matter and also my worries were often genuine...Oh and it is actually ok to cry.....Whether your a boy or a girl....Man or a woman....

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
You will also find that when people dont want to deal with a problem they will quickly try to fob it off and play the blame game...

i.e. its your own fault...."You play too many video games"

Its the classic pull your socks up bullshit mentality...

·
Registered
631 Posts
Video games causing DP ... interesting theiry, I could see it happening in certain extreme cases.

However, I don't think that's what your parents are trying to say there. It stinks. Took my parents over 10 years to mostly recognize that something is wrong, besides me being a big baby. Though I sometimes think they still secretly believe that, just won't say it for fear that I will kill myself or something.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Some people really lack empathy and understanding for other. I sometimes think if we were all kinder each to each other half the world's problems would be curtailed. Yes that's true thank God for this site :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
wow i thought my parents were terrible thats fucking brutal op. mental illness runs on my dads side of the family so he knows its real shit as he has bipolar and anxiety/depression

·
Registered
226 Posts
Yes i know exactly how this goes in this day and age.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts