Depersonalization Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
So my latest thing is obsessing over the idea that everything I see, I am putting there with my mind. Of course as usual, the world seems to do everything in its power to prove me right.

A friend who I've shared a few of my problems with, today told me that they had a few issues a few weeks ago. But they said it in an incredibly cryptic way. Therefore it led me to conclude, 'i am creating this scenario, this is all part of my imagination, that's why it's so coincidental that one of the only people I've spoken to about it has a problem and why it reads so muddled. Because it's my scrambled brain making it up.

Then I come on to this site and see all of the threads about existential thoughts, when I'm again in a state where my existence is the thing really bothering me, so of course; 'I must of created this'.

This is still very much has to do with my issue of my age old question: Do I believe I'm in the real world or not?
I feel I honestly can't answer. I don't know. The world doesn't seem to be working in the right way for it to be real. Yet if it is the real world, surely the fact that I can't answer means I should be in hospital because that would be a delusion. Yet I'm not in hospital and people are acting like I do believe I'm in the real world, when I honestly don't know, therefore surely proving this isn't the he real world.

So basically all I need is for someone to prove to me that this is the real world. (If it is)

Just thought I'd share. (Fucking nightmare)

·
Registered
342 Posts
No one can prove that the world isn't a figment of your imagination, but how do you explain things like genetics and reproduction? Or pain? It's not a useful line of speculation. I promise I have a mind and I exist, if it's any help to you.

·
Jedi Knight
428 Posts
You're describing the brain in a vat problem. You're not the first on the site to have these sort of thoughts, and you certainly won't be the last. Philosophers have wrestled with these sort of problems for millienia, so you're pretty unlikely to come up with any definitive answers.

The point I usually try to make with regards to existential stuff is, assuming this was all a creation of your own mind, what would be different? Would it affect your life in any way? The way you conduct yourself? The kinds of things you like and dislike?

If you ponder it for long enough, you'll more than likely come to the conclusion that it has no bearing on your life, one way or the other. This sort of line of thinking runs out of steam eventually, either because something else becomes the focus of your anxiety, or because you can't really run to any sort of logical conclusion with it.

In the meantime, I'd keep yourself busy and productive as is possible as to avoid rumination about this sort of stuff.

Reactions: Grindelwald

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just thought I'd bump this thread to ask if anyone has ever experienced another phenomenon that I had today. This has happened one time before as well.

Basically a dream I had last night seemed to predict the future. I dreamt about finding a 'residents card' with my name on, which I applied for ages ago. So of course, this morning what happens? The card comes through the post.

I know I was expecting the card at some point, but with all the other daily coincidences I keep having, it really doesn't help matters when you have a premonition about the future come true. Still thinking that I am somehow in a different reality where I am controlling everything, or that this is some inception level dreaming.

Has anyone else had something similar?

·
Registered
342 Posts
I must confess I haven't experienced anything like this. My main problems lately have been headaches and thoughts about mind/body problem. Oh, and death. Mind/body detachment has always been my biggest problem. Damn you, weed.

I had a couple hours today where I had zero DP symptoms and it was wonderful. I'm still pretty good but it's noticeably there again.

·
Registered
251 Posts
If that were the case, then create something you cannot lift. Make an object appear in front of your eyes right now.

Imagine you have no imagination. Are these confusing? You are not creating things, what you are creating is the imagination that you are putting these things out there with your mind.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Aha's Shadow I've had a similar thing. In Australia we have a thing called ATAR which is pretty much the metric that gets you into uni. Like GPA except it's from 0 to 99.95 and it goes up in 0.05 increments. So pretty much when I had a dream that correctly predicted my ATAR it was a strange thing. This was at the end of last year and I didn't worry about it at all, but if it had been at the end of 2015 it would have fucked me up.

The existential worries stopped for me, which I guess I should be thankful for. I hope they do for you as well. You sort of just grow out of them. There's no perfect counter argument to any of them, you sort of just stop thinking on that level.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts