Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have MTHFR, MTRR, PEMT, COMT, MAOA, SLC19A1 gene mutations ... so I'm prone towards stress. I also have a narcissistic father and an anxious mother, so I've developed depersonalization disorder in an elementary school, due to all the emotional neglect. DP came and went, but it was recently induced by a high dose of heavy metal chelator DMSA (3200mg per day for 1 week). I strongly believe that this caused essential minerals imbalance and further disregulated my HPA axis (glucocorticoids, glutamate, GABA, serotonin, ... ). Valerian root or benzodiazepins help in my case, but depersonalization is persistant for 2 months now because I didn't want to use them. SSRI withdrawals always give me severe DP.

I think those that've been pointing towards zinc, copper, magnesium, calcium, manganese, boron, lithium, molybdenum, ... were on to something. Liposomal alpha lipoic acid (mild chelator) and sulforaphane also caused severe DP for an hour and then good mood for a couple of hours afterwards. So something is going on. Since DMSA I also respond differently to niacin which now induces panic attack (methylation could be disrupted).

PS: I also have ceruloplasmin that is low, which could point toward copper deficiency or Wilson disease (being tested with my neurologist). Will try liposomal zinc, liposomal magnesium and liposomal iron, with some copper, manganese, boron and lithium orotate tablets. Probably takes a few weeks if not months to rebalance.

I'm trying body scans, simplified Tai chi, mindfulness, loving kindness meditation, working out, ... but I know what induced it recently. It was DMSA.

Oh and cinema, alcohol and masturbation all make it worse.

· Registered
512 Posts
I have MTHFR, MTRR, PEMT, COMT, MAOA, SLC19A1 gene mutations ... so I'm prone towards stress. I also have a narcissistic father and an anxious mother, so I've developed depersonalization disorder in an elementary school, due to all the emotional neglect. DP came and went, but it was recently induced by a high dose of heavy metal chelator DMSA (3200mg per day for 1 week). I strongly believe that this caused essential minerals imbalance and further disregulated my HPA axis (glucocorticoids, glutamate, GABA, serotonin, ... ). Valerian root or benzodiazepins help in my case, but depersonalization is persistant for 2 months now because I didn't want to use them. SSRI withdrawals always give me severe DP.

I think those that've been pointing towards zinc, copper, magnesium, calcium, manganese, boron, lithium, molybdenum, ... were on to something. Liposomal alpha lipoic acid (mild chelator) and sulforaphane also caused severe DP for an hour and then good mood for a couple of hours afterwards. So something is going on. Since DMSA I also respond differently to niacin which now induces panic attack (methylation could be disrupted).

PS: I also have ceruloplasmin that is low, which could point toward copper deficiency or Wilson disease (being tested with my neurologist). Will try liposomal zinc, liposomal magnesium and liposomal iron, with some copper, manganese, boron and lithium orotate tablets. Probably takes a few weeks if not months to rebalance.

I'm trying body scans, simplified Tai chi, mindfulness, loving kindness meditation, working out, ... but I know what induced it recently. It was DMSA.

Oh and cinema, alcohol and masturbation all make it worse.
Conclusion, if you want to masturbate in a movie theater, at least do it sober. (just joking)
But I would be careful about going too much into chemistry details. If you just give the same SSRI to two different people you can have two absolutely different responses, and the truth is that today psychiatrists have no clue why in most cases, even for something as simple as that. So it's mostly trial and error.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I stongly believe that in my case heavy metal chelation caused essential mineral imbalance and changed glutamate/GABA ratio, which is implicated in DP/DR by multiple research articles.

· Registered
12 Posts
I stongly believe that in my case heavy metal chelation caused essential mineral imbalance and changed glutamate/GABA ratio, which is implicated in DP/DR by multiple research articles.
Have you tried to lower glutamate? I also worsened with chelation for what it's worth though we have similar SNP backstory

1 - 4 of 4 Posts