Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried any genetic profiling (e.g. 23nme) ? If so, did anything come up about having the MTHFR mutation.

I have recently read up about many people showing a faulty MTHFR and subsequently having a problem processing B vitamins. There is some anecdotal evidence online suggesting people who have this mutation have managed to cure their anxiety by supplementing with Folinic acid and B vitamins.

Has anyone had any experience of Folinic acid or is this just the latest hype ?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Not tried Genetic profiling, but did find I had a folate and b12 defeciency after testing. Currently taking Folic Acid, and B12. Think its helping with anxiety so far, but still early days.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ohh I actually just checked and my 23andMe sample just finished processing. I used geneticgenie.org when trying to figure this all out. Assuming that website works properly, it looks like I don't have a MTHFR mutation, but it's showing I have homozygous mutations for COMT V158M, COMT H62H, VDR Bsm, MAO-A R297R, MTRR A66G, BHMT-02, BHMT-08; and a heterozygous mutation for VDR Taq.

Not sure if that means anything to anyone. So far all I understand is it looks like I have a genetic predisposition to having screwed up neurotransmitters. Hurraayyyy.....

·
Registered
174 Posts
How long have you been using it ?
Been on the folic acid for about a month. B12 is more complicated. For neuro symptoms youre supposed to get injections every other day for a month or so, my doctor only gave me two a week apart. So, I've started to inject it myself. I dont think thr folic acid alone did much, but you need it to process the b12 properly. I think the b12 has reduced the severity of the anxiety and panic, but things are still up and down. Takes a couple of months to really kick in. I had a lot of b12 deficiency symptoms which got me into it.

I'm on a b12 group on facebook, a lot if people mention sometimes feeling like theyre in a dream or not really there

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@mrt you know if your b12 deficiency is down to not being able to absorb it properly ... Im not a doctor but from what I have read, you might not be able to use folic acid either (many doctors are unaware of this) Folinic acid is a supplement worth looking into. Have a read of this;

·
Registered
24 Posts
@Riekas

http://www.mtrra66g.com/ This gene plays a role methylation and so does that MTHFR

I will be posting my results with folinic acid and methyl b12 very soon.

Here is the link to the article that put me on to this;

(I know its a crap source but im looking to try anything right now)
Ahh okay, so I could still benefit from this. When I have some free time, I'm going to research more about all my mutations.

I will say one thing, though. I had a rough work week last week and I was drinking at least one energy drink a day and I swear my dp felt slightly better by the end of the week. This has made me interested in looking at trying some supplements. I have some taurine on order to test that out. I doubt those have enough B12 for me to notice anything, but it won't hurt to add in some B12 and folic acid

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.