Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read something interesting in the health section of a magazine today. A woman wrote in asking if her diet could be causing panic attacks...she eats a lot of chinese food. The doc who does the column said that chinese food contains lots of a flavouring called monosdium glutamate and this is notorius for causing panic attacks. I thought, hmm that word rings a bell. Where have I heard it recently? Then I remembered, there was a show on recently as part of the BBCs fat nation series (or whatever it was called) where they were going into all the dodgy things that are in fast food, especially McDonalds....and that naughty stuff MSG is apparently abundant in the corn syrup that the junk food companies use to make their grub yummy and addictive. Anyway, I've done a few google checks and I found something a lot more interesting than I bargained for...check this out...

'Another type of food intolerance is an adverse reaction to certain products that are added to food to enhance taste, provide color, or protect against growth of microorganisms. Compounds that are most frequently tied to adverse reactions that can be confused with food allergy are yellow dye number 5, monosodium glutamate, and sulfites. Yellow dye number 5 can cause hives, although rarely. Monosodium glutamate (MSG)) is a flavor enhancer, and , when consumed in large amounts, can cause flushing, sensations of warmth, headache, facial pressure, chest pain or feelings of detachment :shock: :eek: in some people. These transient reactions occur rapidly after eating large amounts of food to which MSG has been added.'

(MDAdvice.com)

What's quite interesting is that when I was having my frquent panic attacks I was also eating a LOT of McDonalds...well it was right opposite the shop I worked in (excuses excuses). And I use a lot of soy sauce. Apart from my dad (who I blame) I'm the only person I know who puts soy sauce on everything...chips, chicken, vegatables you name it. Plus my favourite flavours of crisps are beef and bacon which usually contain the flavouring, you guessed it, monosodium glutamate.

There's a lot of rather extreme scaremongering on t'internet about this stuff, but could it just be that for some people with sensetive nervous systems and, like me without any known pyshcological cause for Panic/Dp etc. that it could be things like this triggering it?

I'm no expert on food or any of that, but my hunch is that there could be something in it. Maybe I'll lay off the soy sauce for a while. I havent had a McDonalds in a long time and I havent had a panic attack in a long time...so who knows, if i cut this MSG stuff out completely i might feel a hell of a lot better.

G

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I read something interesting in the health section of a magazine today. A woman wrote in asking if her diet could be causing panic attacks...she eats a lot of chinese food. The doc who does the column said that chinese food contains lots of a flavouring called monosdium glutamate and this is notorius for causing panic attacks. I thought, hmm that word rings a bell. Where have I heard it recently? Then I remembered, there was a show on recently as part of the BBCs fat nation series (or whatever it was called) where they were going into all the dodgy things that are in fast food, especially McDonalds....and that naughty stuff MSG is apparently abundant in the corn syrup that the junk food companies use to make their grub yummy and addictive. Anyway, I've done a few google checks and I found something a lot more interesting than I bargained for...check this out...

'Another type of food intolerance is an adverse reaction to certain products that are added to food to enhance taste, provide color, or protect against growth of microorganisms. Compounds that are most frequently tied to adverse reactions that can be confused with food allergy are yellow dye number 5, monosodium glutamate, and sulfites. Yellow dye number 5 can cause hives, although rarely. Monosodium glutamate (MSG)) is a flavor enhancer, and , when consumed in large amounts, can cause flushing, sensations of warmth, headache, facial pressure, chest pain or feelings of detachment :shock: :eek: in some people. These transient reactions occur rapidly after eating large amounts of food to which MSG has been added.'

(MDAdvice.com)

What's quite interesting is that when I was having my frquent panic attacks I was also eating a LOT of McDonalds...well it was right opposite the shop I worked in (excuses excuses). And I use a lot of soy sauce. Apart from my dad (who I blame) I'm the only person I know who puts soy sauce on everything...chips, chicken, vegatables you name it. Plus my favourite flavours of crisps are beef and bacon which usually contain the flavouring, you guessed it, monosodium glutamate.

There's a lot of rather extreme scaremongering on t'internet about this stuff, but could it just be that for some people with sensetive nervous systems and, like me without any known pyshcological cause for Panic/Dp etc. that it could be things like this triggering it?

I'm no expert on food or any of that, but my hunch is that there could be something in it. Maybe I'll lay off the soy sauce for a while. I havent had a McDonalds in a long time and I havent had a panic attack in a long time...so who knows, if i cut this MSG stuff out completely i might feel a hell of a lot better.

G

·
Registered
663 Posts
Simply put, anybody with panic and anxiety should avoid msg, aspartame(nutrasweet), and caffeine. All of these substances will only cause or heighten anxiety states.

Joe

·
Registered
663 Posts
Simply put, anybody with panic and anxiety should avoid msg, aspartame(nutrasweet), and caffeine. All of these substances will only cause or heighten anxiety states.

Joe

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi Gavin D,

It was interesting to read your interpretation of the piece you read / saw on the BBC.

I for one eat like a good little girl (No fast food, 5 types of fruit and veg a day etc) but did not always, and have found it has made no difference at all to my DP.

P.S: Your a lucky sod living in Brighton - what a cool place!

Jacqueline

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi Gavin D,

It was interesting to read your interpretation of the piece you read / saw on the BBC.

I for one eat like a good little girl (No fast food, 5 types of fruit and veg a day etc) but did not always, and have found it has made no difference at all to my DP.

P.S: Your a lucky sod living in Brighton - what a cool place!

Jacqueline

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
i dont eat junk food (fast food) i have a clean diet,ive tried meds,ive tried the supplements.....doesnt really make a spot of difference in my oppinion...

eating junk food all of the time will however make you feel like crap

1 - 7 of 7 Posts